Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:48:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Would Be Drug Marketplace Operators  (Read 3865 times)
acoindr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 06:27:04 PM

You are not Jason Bourne.

If you are not absolutely certain you know how to operate anonymously continuously don't attempt to operate a drug marketplace, at least one servicing the U.S. You see, the U.S. govt. is very resourceful and can (for now) print just about any money it needs for any task.

Ed Snowden himself said if they want to get your computer (specifically) they'll get you. Even I would have thought a clean Linux install would be a good starting point until the shellshock bug showed up. There are just too many potentially vulnerable points to consider to operate with confidence, from coin taint/trails, to compromised hidden services, to botched communication, and that's the technical side. There is also the human/social element to trip things up.

If you're going to attempt such an undertaking you should always operate under the assumption the enforcers are one step away. At the very least don't remain in the U.S. and regardless of location don't sit still. I'm not sure I'd even attempt it and I believe I know what I'm doing. You should at most operate for under one year then walk away, and if you can pull that off it would be an impressive achievement.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2014, 06:30:29 PM

Well things happen. I did not however expect the owner to be found so quickly.
It is possible to stay hidden if you're smart enough. There are many people who the government can't catch, or services that can't be shut down. Look at TPB. Bitcoin helps with their finances.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
segvec

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

The cheddar breed jealousy

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 06:36:52 PM

Greed is what gets most criminals caught; especially cyber "criminals".

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
acoindr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 06:38:49 PM

Well things happen. I did not however expect the owner to be found so quickly.
It is possible to stay hidden if you're smart enough. There are many people who the government can't catch, or services that can't be shut down. Look at TPB. Bitcoin helps with their finances.

There is no such thing as perfect security, for anything.

The problem is the free market sale of controlled substances is a political issue. Bitcoin and its libertarian enthusiasts are poking the government in the eye, putting that issue in the spotlight. To them it's a game, one of strategy, and they're playing to win. That's why they codenamed their operation onymous.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 06:57:54 PM

FBI is certainly stepping up enforcement efforts. The oldest dark net market "farmer's market", used paypal, and they weren't caught for over 2 years (surprise surprise, they were caught simply by paypal disclosing their contact info to FBI). This was before Bitcoin was available.

FBI is increasingly getting good at busting TOR sites.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 07:08:18 PM

Must be mad running an illegal drug website. Just the tiniest microscopic slipup could reveal your real identity. TOR isn't foolproof.

kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 07:23:13 PM

Why not just use the nxt market place? Decentralized and all that.. There's already a guy selling prescription drugs on it.. Doctor from Mexico apparently Roll Eyes

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
yasiel.puig

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 07:34:59 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2014, 08:07:05 PM by yasiel.puig

Well, that sucks.

I have no interest in the narcotics but some of the other items available and vendors have proven themselves to be reliable.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 07:37:30 PM

FBI is certainly stepping up enforcement efforts. The oldest dark net market "farmer's market", used paypal, and they weren't caught for over 2 years (surprise surprise, they were caught simply by paypal disclosing their contact info to FBI). This was before Bitcoin was available.

there have been a number of attacks by not-so-honest tor exit nodes as of recently. I would say this is likely related.
sunerok

Activity: 629
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2014, 07:38:08 PM

dogecoindark.net

already has darknet = untraceable ip crypto.

;]

_///// [XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON  THE VERGE ★★★★★ [SCRYPT] /////_
_//// TOR // I2P // LINUX . WINDOWS . MAC . ANDROID . ELECTRUM . WEBWALLET . GITHUB // WEBSITE // RADIO // IRC ////_
acoindr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 07:40:43 PM

Clearly I've missed something.

As a non-narcotics user I have no idea of which website you speak of.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/two-held-over-darknet-drugs-ring-30724056.html
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2014, 07:48:29 PM

There is no such thing as perfect security, for anything.

The problem is the free market sale of controlled substances is a political issue. Bitcoin and its libertarian enthusiasts are poking the government in the eye, putting that issue in the spotlight. To them it's a game, one of strategy, and they're playing to win. That's why they codenamed their operation onymous.
I never said that there was perfect security. There isn't 'perfect' for anything actually.
Well there needs to be something called DarkNet 2.0, Tor 2.0 and such, services which would utilize Bitcoin in the process.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 07:54:13 PM

@OP - I will take your feedback into consideration.

@FBI - Just kidding. Cheesy
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 07:58:09 PM

At the very least don't remain in the U.S. and regardless of location don't sit still. I'm not sure I'd even attempt it and I believe I know what I'm doing. You should at most operate for under one year then walk away, and if you can pull that off it would be an impressive achievement.

No, You should operate everywhere around the world including within the US with decentralized marketplaces.

acoindr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 08:01:00 PM

I never said that there was perfect security. ...

No, but you said it's possible to stay hidden if you're smart enough. My point isn't so much about perfection as it is about degree. If U.S. government enforcement agencies in large enough degree want to find you, there is a pretty good chance they will. They have near limitless resources, whereas it only takes one slip up on the part of the evader. Open drug sale is too large a political issue for them to put up only half efforts.
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 08:01:32 PM

Yup, same thing I noticed, good point.
Crazy how fast this cat and mouse game happens...always the good vs. bad, one playing catchup!

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 08:11:52 PM

Yup, same thing I noticed, good point.
Crazy how fast this cat and mouse game happens...always the good vs. bad, one playing catchup!

Lets see them try and shutdown openbazaar where there is no site operator, no server, and no domain to shutdown.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2014, 08:17:37 PM

No, but you said it's possible to stay hidden if you're smart enough. My point isn't so much about perfection as it is about degree. If U.S. government enforcement agencies in large enough degree want to find you, there is a pretty good chance they will. They have near limitless resources, whereas it only takes one slip up on the part of the evader. Open drug sale is too large a political issue for them to put up only half efforts.
I wanted to mention this but I totally forgot about it while doing other work. Such services are the way to the future. They can't shut it down no way, although they could trick users with fake merchants set up by FBI agents. This is why I'd only buy from a few trusted buyers (if it was something illegal).
Lets see them try and shutdown openbazaar where there is no site operator, no server, and no domain to shutdown.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 08:32:50 PM

Actually they caught this guy by becoming apart of the site's support staff, so it had nothing to do with computers or anything it was really old fashion cop work. Go undercover and becoming one of them.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 11:15:10 PM

Actually they caught this guy by becoming apart of the site's support staff, so it had nothing to do with computers or anything it was really old fashion cop work. Go undercover and becoming one of them.

Are u sure ? Because I read that they got Defcon's IP from Google as he used Gmail for some registrations.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: