Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:18:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Would Be Drug Marketplace Operators  (Read 3867 times)
dontCAREhair

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 11:42:05 PM

The cult of personality which has existed around SR "leaders" may have inspired trust, but it's been misplaced trust.  Hackings and law enforcement take-downs have happened under the watch of these trusted leaders.

Whenever the shit hits the fan, there's always a big "trust no-one" push and the emerging leaders always tell the community to assume everyone is law enforcement and act accordingly. 

Agreed, mutisig and auditing is the right solution:

https://blog.openbazaar.org/migration-of-our-project-funds-to-a-multisig-address/
I don't think using multisig addresses for openbazaar donations is going to help anything. Anyone that facaliates the sale of illegal drugs (or any other illegal good for that matter) is risking apprehension by law enforcement as well as a lengthy jail/prison sentence

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 11:50:53 PM

I don't think using multisig addresses for openbazaar donations is going to help anything. Anyone that facaliates the sale of illegal drugs (or any other illegal good for that matter) is risking apprehension by law enforcement as well as a lengthy jail/prison sentence

Even if you ignore the incentivization from asset forfeiture, there are real limits to how an organization can fund its operations without sufficient funding. Right now a large amount of funding is done through fines and theft(asset forfeiture). If one uses mutisig addresses than these apprehensions will result in less theft occurring therefore starving the state of these needed funds.

Where will law enforcement make up this loss in revenue?

dontCAREhair

Activity: 119

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 11:59:21 PM

Even if you ignore the incentivization from asset forfeiture, there are real limits to how an organization can fund its operations without sufficient funding. Right now a large amount of funding is done through fines and theft(asset forfeiture). If one uses mutisig addresses than these apprehensions will result in less theft occurring therefore starving the state of these needed funds.

Where will law enforcement make up this loss in revenue?
It isn't actually the job of law enforcement to earn certain amounts of revenue, it is their job to enforce the law that the legislature has enacted.

Also if they were going to seize the assets of open bazaar then they could simply seize the keys from two of the four devs (assuming they are using a 2 of 4 multi sig address) to sign/push a TX out of their address
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 12:10:09 AM

It isn't actually the job of law enforcement to earn certain amounts of revenue, it is their job to enforce the law that the legislature has enacted.

Agreed, but that is not where their priorities lie.

Also if they were going to seize the assets of open bazaar then they could simply seize the keys from two of the four devs (assuming they are using a 2 of 4 multi sig address) to sign/push a TX out of their address

Ok, I see where the confusion is. We are both talking about the developers using multisig for their measly 18 BTC to fund development and the future dealers using multisig BTC as part of the open bazaar protocol in order to protect their assets from either the feds stealing it or the developers stealing it.

Are you suggesting you believe the feds will go after developers for creating a non-profit agnostic marketplace? If so why haven't they gone after developers who create torrent software and protocols in a non-profit and voluntary method yet?

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 12:18:43 AM

OpenBazaar is a protocol, not a one stop shop for illegal drugs. Thus, governments probably can't stop development on it any moreso than they could on BitTorrent. If anything, a crackdown on the software would lead more people to using it and developing for it, e.g. PopcornTime.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 12:59:49 AM

OpenBazaar is a protocol, not a one stop shop for illegal drugs. Thus, governments probably can't stop development on it any moreso than they could on BitTorrent. If anything, a crackdown on the software would lead more people to using it and developing for it, e.g. PopcornTime.

Exactly, I believe federal agencies are aware of that and that's why they don't just ban everything immediately. They're slowly taking their time as not to cause too much disruption(an outright ban on some services would lead to even more people doing things they don't want). All in all, their take your time approach is better than the outright ban approach and I think all bitcoiners would agree.

axel2078

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 02:04:10 AM

dogecoindark.net

already has darknet = untraceable ip crypto.

;]

I don't believe anything is untraceable for the NSA.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: