Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:15:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CODY WILSON PLANS TO DESTROY THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION  (Read 4036 times)
hsz (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 10:26:52 AM

Upstart Business Journal reveals that crypto-anarchist Cody Wilson will run for a board seat on the Bitcoin Foundation for no other reason than to disband the organization from within.  His next opportunity will be in January 2015 when some seats will be up for election.

Wilson said:
“I will run on a platform of the complete dissolution of the Bitcoin Foundation and will begin and end every single one of my public statements with that message.”

Wilson is a co-founder of Dark Wallet, a project that adds layers of privacy and anonymity to Bitcoin transactions. He is also a co-founder and director of Defense Distributed, a stealth organization that made waves by releasing the specs of a 3D-printable gun. As his trajectory shows, Wilson is a staunch crypto-anarchist who wants to use emerging technologies such as 3D printing and Bitcoin to disrupt “the system.”

On the contrary, the mission of the Bitcoin Foundation is to “standardize, protect and promote the use of Bitcoin cryptographic money for the benefit of users worldwide.” In other words, taking Bitcoin mainstream. That requires working with the regulators rather than against them and making the necessary concessions to their compliance requirements. Therefore, the mission of the Bitcoin Foundation is evidently at odds with that of crypto-anarchists like Wilson.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 10:32:46 AM

in my view: stupid. can he also create & build something usefull?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 10:41:32 AM

post!
the!
source!

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/cody-wilson-plans-destroy-bitcoin-foundation/

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 11:30:50 AM

Self-promotion stunt from Cody?

Doubt he'll get a single vote. Voting is done by members. To become a member, you need to pay annual fee ranging $1,000 - $100,000. Don't think anyone who paid will be voting to disband TBF.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 11:49:27 AM

He did/does: Dark Wallet
thebitcoinquiz.com

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 12:04:03 PM

Money talks. If he has money, he can do anything. Noone can stop him if he has cash.

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 12:24:28 PM

Does Cody code ?

So, whats the story with TBF ?
You have to pay to be a member ? That sounds dodgy right away. How about a democratic single transferable vote electoral system - maybe it could be done via the blockchain ?
I dunno.

Presumably the worry with TBF is that it will be co-opted by big business - or compromise bitcoins core values for widespread usage ?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 01:02:05 PM

Does Cody code ?

You have to pay to be a member ? That sounds dodgy right away. How about a democratic single transferable vote electoral system - maybe it could be done via the blockchain ?
I dunno.

Presumably the worry with TBF is that it will be co-opted by big business - or compromise bitcoins core values for widespread usage ?
I'd argue the problem's just letting a group of people appear to be the authority on Bitcoin without necessarily being selected by the community, which is not limited to people paying annual dues to an election committee. TBF does more than select who gets to talk to the press, obviously, but I think that's kind of the rub, because members sometimes say things some of us consider antithetical to whatever "we" think Bitcoin stands for. They've done some good things. The other similar issue could come from TBF selecting not only who talks to the press, but who talks to governments, where the message could be even more critical. That said, I'm unaware of TBF ever actually claiming to be *the* voice of Bitcoin, and I've never heard of any government agency which says "well, we can only have one expert at the Bitcoin hearing, so let's call up The Bitcoin Foundation, cause it sounds legit!" I've gone from being leery to being a donor to hating them (some pretty tragic choices for board members) to ambivalence.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 01:21:46 PM

Does Cody code ?

I dunno.

I'd argue the problem's just letting a group of people appear to be the authority on Bitcoin without necessarily being selected by the community, which is not limited to people paying annual dues to an election committee. TBF does more than select who gets to talk to the press, obviously, but I think that's kind of the rub, because members sometimes say things some of us consider antithetical to whatever "we" think Bitcoin stands for. They've done some good things. The other similar issue could come from TBF selecting not only who talks to the press, but who talks to governments, where the message could be even more critical. That said, I'm unaware of TBF ever actually claiming to be *the* voice of Bitcoin, and I've never heard of any government agency which says "well, we can only have one expert at the Bitcoin hearing, so let's call up The Bitcoin Foundation, cause it sounds legit!" I've gone from being leery to being a donor to hating them (some pretty tragic choices for board members) to ambivalence.

so in a way, do you think cody wilson is 'liberating' bitcoin somehow by 'destroying' TBF?

edit:  i'm pretty sure the community could come up with something better than TBF if ever it was 'destroyed'.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 01:29:26 PM

Does Cody code ?

I dunno.

so in a way, do you think cody wilson is 'liberating' bitcoin somehow by 'destroying' TBF?
No. TBF does some solid stuff, including offering legal assistance. Some highly-integrated members do controversial stuff, including calling for increased regulations. I don't see how it could be portrayed that Bitcoin is negatively affected by TBF in a truly significant way, and I don't believe they're a net detriment to Bitcoin. That said, there may be better ways of going about handling the "macro" and "real" issues with Bitcoin (legal, PR, "setting the agenda," community organization) - but if there are, that should probably be the focus, not destroying something else.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 01:36:45 PM

Word from the horse's mouth. More authentic source: https://twitter.com/Radomysisky/status/530346647427874816
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 01:42:15 PM

Cody Wilson, sounds like a pansy.  Check.
Is a pansy.  Check.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

i dont understand how he will destroy it? will he get other people elected to follow his agenda?
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 05:40:20 PM

https://twitter.com/Radomysisky/status/530346647427874816

@DoctorGoss I plan to run the most honest campaign in Foundation history

Well, so far we're on the same page: Bruno Kucinskas will run for TBF board seat, running on Cody Wilson's platform.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 06:42:48 PM

....the mission of the Bitcoin Foundation is to “standardize, protect and promote the use of Bitcoin cryptographic money for the benefit of users worldwide.” In other words, taking Bitcoin mainstream. That requires working with the regulators rather than against them and making the necessary concessions to their compliance requirements. Therefore, the mission of the Bitcoin Foundation is evidently at odds with that of crypto-anarchists like Wilson.

This is only your interpretation of the "mission."

I do not see "taking bitcoin mainstream" as meaning "working with regulators rather than against them and making the necessary concessions to their compliance requirements."

In fact I see that interpretation as fucking nuts.

So Are You Fucking Kidding Us?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 06:45:29 PM

Doubt he'll get a single vote. Voting is done by members. To become a member, you need to pay annual fee ranging $1,000 - $100,000. Don't think anyone who paid will be voting to disband TBF.
Huh?  I thought it was like $25 or something.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 08:26:54 PM

Huh?  I thought it was like $25 or something.

$25/annum or $250 lifetime is for individual members, but don't think they can vote. Nothing about voting is mentioned in the benefits:

Individual Member Benefits:
-Participate in the global Bitcoin community
-Access to exclusive discounts and special offers
-Access to industry member job postings
-Early access and discounts to partner events
-Ability to participate in Working Groups
-Access to exclusive virtual roundtables and webinars
-Exclusive lifetime members only events at Bitcoin2015
https://bitcoinfoundation.org/join/

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 08:43:33 PM

https://github.com/pmlaw/The-Bitcoin-Foundation-Legal-Repo/blob/master/Bylaws/Bylaws_of_The_Bitcoin_Foundation.md

(c) Limitations on Voting Rights of Members. Except as otherwise provided for by any Board of Directors resolution, no member shall have the right or be entitled to vote: (i) on a sale, lease, exchange, or other disposition of all or substantially all of the Corporation's assets; (ii) on a merger of the Corporation; (iii) on a dissolution or reorganization of the Corporation; or (iv) on amendments to the Corporation's Articles or Bylaws.

Section 4.8 Voting: Each member is entitled to one vote on each matter submitted to a vote of the members of the member's membership class. Voting may be by voice vote, written vote or through electronic means as directed by the Executive Director. Cumulative voting for the election of directors or otherwise shall not be authorized.

Section 3.1 Membership Classes: The Corporation will have three classes of membership:

(a) Founding Members;

(b) Industry Members; and

(c) Individual Members.

Section 6.2 Nomination and Election: The Corporation's officers shall be elected by the Board of Directors in accordance with this Article VI. Each officer shall hold office until he or she resigns or is removed or replaced. All officers must be members of the Corporation. Any director may nominate a member to be a candidate for any officer position in the Corporation. All directors then in office may vote on candidates for such offices. Officer positions shall be filled in an election upon the vote of a majority of directors then in office. Each officer's term of office shall be two (2) years and there shall be no prohibition on re-election of an officer for subsequent terms following the completion of that term. The Board of Directors may issue resolutions establishing procedures governing the nomination and election of officers, provided that those resolutions are consistent with these Bylaws and the Articles.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting seeing how this will play out. Only the directors can vote for other directors? Interesting.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 08:55:05 PM

Thank you!

And.... YEYYYYY! Go Cody! If I make a lot of money maybe I'll do what Phinneus did and join the foundation for giggles to vote for him.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 08:58:54 PM

Interesting , but judging from the bylaws someone posted above it might be just a publicity stunt.

How do they expect to get elected with those bylaws? The bylaws make dissolution impossible as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: