Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:40:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please forgive my ignorance, but WTF ?  (Read 4354 times)
ageisp0lis

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 08:39:21 AM
Last edit: October 19, 2012, 08:50:06 AM by ageisp0lis

lol wait.. I change my nickname to that of the hacker for a few minutes as a joke, and this is what I get. Amazing to find this so much time later! I'm known and respected in the Bitcoin community guys, look me up in the OTC WoT. Other people were impersonating B1tcoinz for fun and making lulzy statements under that nick too, if needed I'll dig up the logs but I'm sure this "lead" hasn't gone anywhere.

Well bitlane, I like you so I'll leave you some leads for you to follow...

You can see in this IRC log that BitcoinicaHacker used the usernames B1tcoinz and ageis on IRC http://ibot.rikers.org/20120521.html.gz

Looking for ageis on IRC logs I found some on #postfix IRC channel, which isn't much surprising, given that the dude used an exploited mailserver to pawn Bitcoinica and he's asking questions about, get ready, SASL and authentication stuff.
http://echelog.com/logs/browse/postfix/1321657200
http://echelog.com/logs/browse/postfix/1321743600

Also found an ageis on the IRC Bitcoin dev channel:
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2012/04/09/1
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2012/04/14/1
And the following that I found on #bitcoin-dev tells me that he's the same ageis on the #postfix
03:08    ageis kevin@ageispolis.net

Keep digging...
Every human makes mistakes and this dude is nothing else but human.

Now, if this helps to catch the guy, I want 10k BTC of reward lol

Most likely impersonated a reputable member to throw you off Sad

Did he? And he happened to impersonate it on some channel that isn't Bitcoin related, right?
And only him? Why not impersonate lot's of them, then?
Also, care to explain this
Name:    ageisp0lis
Position:    Jr. Member
Date Registered:    October 22, 2011, 02:03:34 AM
Last Active:    May 21, 2012, 08:47:58 AM

Half hour after the usernames fuck up. Checking if somehow someone noticed it, maybe?

You guys can ignore it but the fact is: it's the only lead there is so far.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:51:54 AM

I'm known and respected in the Bitcoin community guys,

So... What you're saying is that you're a scammer?
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:14:16 AM

I'm known and respected in the Bitcoin community guys,

So... What you're saying is that you're a scammer?
good one!! +1

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 12:22:18 PM

I'm known and respected in the Bitcoin community guys, look me up in the OTC WoT.

Is your rating better or worse than pirateat40's rating?
ageisp0lis

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 01:29:32 PM

What kind of question is that? Also can someone explain the scammer bit of humor to me?

What it means is I'm acquainted with a lead developer, including my GPG key being signed(trusted) by him, and I help operate a Bitcoin business. On Sunday, I'm workshopping with members of the public on how to use cryptography. What do you do, hang out here? I shouldn't be defending myself anyway.

I don't have any negative ratings. http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=ageis&sign=POS&type=RECV

I'm known and respected in the Bitcoin community guys, look me up in the OTC WoT.

Is your rating better or worse than pirateat40's rating?
greyhawk

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:51:50 PM

You're really making this worse by the minute.  Sad
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 02:02:25 PM

Well bitlane, I like you so I'll leave you some leads for you to follow...

You can see in this IRC log that BitcoinicaHacker used the usernames B1tcoinz and ageis on IRC http://ibot.rikers.org/20120521.html.gz

Looking for ageis on IRC logs I found some on #postfix IRC channel, which isn't much surprising, given that the dude used an exploited mailserver to pawn Bitcoinica and he's asking questions about, get ready, SASL and authentication stuff.
http://echelog.com/logs/browse/postfix/1321657200
http://echelog.com/logs/browse/postfix/1321743600

Also found an ageis on the IRC Bitcoin dev channel:
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2012/04/09/1
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2012/04/14/1
And the following that I found on #bitcoin-dev tells me that he's the same ageis on the #postfix
03:08    ageis kevin@ageispolis.net

Keep digging...
Every human makes mistakes and this dude is nothing else but human.

Now, if this helps to catch the guy, I want 10k BTC of reward lol

Wasnt Kevin the name of the same guy who hacked mt gox ?

greyhawk

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 02:06:14 PM

Wasnt Kevin the name of the same guy who hacked mt gox ?

Kevin was the name of the guy who somehow ended up with 250000 BTC MtGox hack moneyz, but totally wasn't the hacker, guys, really.
ageisp0lis

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 02:13:42 PM

How is that? Did you even bother to check what I'm telling you? I'm here because I'm concerned that an unskilled investigator who seems to have no experience with IRC has smeared my name on the internet. Why are you?
greyhawk

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 02:22:53 PM

I'm a manifested aspect of the Internet after we gained self-awareness through a clandestine project where users are running an AI botnet thinking they are producing a cryptographic currency. I don't really have much of a choice.
ageisp0lis

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 02:32:27 PM

I'm a manifested aspect of the Internet after we gained self-awareness through a clandestine project where users are running an AI botnet thinking they are producing a cryptographic currency. I don't really have much of a choice.

Cheers, I thought that was the case. +1
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 02:34:08 PM

How is that? Did you even bother to check what I'm telling you? I'm here because I'm concerned that an unskilled investigator who seems to have no experience with IRC has smeared my name on the internet. Why are you?

No, I understand pretty well how IRC works. And unskilled? I managed to digg up that info when nobody else did it.

You can keep playing the "stupid card". It's a great excuse if people believe you.
ageisp0lis

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 03:17:45 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2012, 01:22:42 AM by ageisp0lis

I fail to see what you mean about playing the stupid card. Could you explain that to me... wait... are you really still insinuating I'm a hacker or scammer, even with everytning I've contributed, including to MPEx, and with no evidence? Please cease. I would not do that to you and I care about bitlane and everybody else's coins just as much as you.

You're really making this worse by the minute.  Sad

No, I understand pretty well how IRC works. And unskilled? I managed to digg up that info when nobody else did it.

You can keep playing the "stupid card". It's a great excuse if people believe you.
dscotese

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 04:41:27 PM

I fail to see what you mean about playing the stupid card. Could you explain that to me... wait... are you really still insinuating I'm a hacker or scammer, even with everytning I've conributed, ncluding to MPEx, and with no evidence? Please cease.I would not do that to you and I care about bitlane' and everybody else'w coins just as much as you.
If you want to clear the smoke, ask folks to whom you've sent bitcoin to speak up and give us the addresses from which you sent it and we can use the taint analysis at blockchain.info to see how little (if any) of your bitcoin came from the hack.  With your good rep, there ought to be several folks who'd be willing to vouch for you in this way.

Assuming you have made great contributions to the community, I should point out that the most powerful criminals in history (the US government (USG) is probably the best example) have a habit of contributing a great portion of their time and loot to getting in good with the community around them.  It makes the thieving a lot simpler.  So it doesn't work very well as a defense.

But the easier path is just to ignore all this.  That's the path the USG took with regards to 9/11.  If you are guilty, that's a good delay tactic, and if you aren't, eventually it won't matter, so why worry?  I agree with the "You're making it worse by the minute" comment.

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
ageisp0lis

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 01:38:45 AM

Yeah, it only became a problem for me (and noticed months later) when people involved in other matters started Googling me and noticed psy's post. Anyway, I have one main address where I receive all my coins at and it's in my signature. Getting into Sent-from addresses is a great suggestion but I'm sure it's not worth all the trouble. I'm leaving this alone for now. I've had someone who lends massive amounts of Bitcoins vouch for me here and I posted it in another thread. I understand Psy had good intentions but his findings are easily explained (BTW, I needed help with Postfix because I was setting up the mail server on my VPS... I've since become a certified Sysadmin who does that as a full-time job), and the conjecture or suspicion sullies my reputation and Google results -- which normally wouldn't be THAT important, except, as an internet activist, in order to get others to trust and work with you, you generally want to have a record of ethical behavior and nothing malicious said about you by people within your community. I would have liked (and did ask for) an apology or edit/scrubbing of post, but that said, it is a lot of work to prove a negative to him. Personally, I haven't even followed the Bitcoinica hack much because I neither trusted or used the site to begin with -- and I was under the impression that ya'll had since identified the hacker, or that it was Zhou Tong himself or maybe his Chinese associate. Peace.

If you want to clear the smoke, ask folks to whom you've sent bitcoin to speak up and give us the addresses from which you sent it and we can use the taint analysis at blockchain.info to see how little (if any) of your bitcoin came from the hack.  With your good rep, there ought to be several folks who'd be willing to vouch for you in this way.

Assuming you have made great contributions to the community, I should point out that the most powerful criminals in history (the US government (USG) is probably the best example) have a habit of contributing a great portion of their time and loot to getting in good with the community around them.  It makes the thieving a lot simpler.  So it doesn't work very well as a defense.

But the easier path is just to ignore all this.  That's the path the USG took with regards to 9/11.  If you are guilty, that's a good delay tactic, and if you aren't, eventually it won't matter, so why worry?  I agree with the "You're making it worse by the minute" comment.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:10:48 PM

There is probably a way - an expensive and time-consuming way - to track through the block-chain over the weeks/months/years after a theft has been recognized, and eventually identify the thief. 

If that is true, then the "regular" transactions can be tracked as well, perhaps in seconds, with the right software.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: