Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:00:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What sort of event will trigger mass adoption?  (Read 2765 times)
JimDowJones (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 07:28:59 PM

Im convinced mass adoption will happen through financial disruption. Rather than some kind of killer application, its penetration into finance is what we should hope for. Considering bitcoin was born from the ashes of the 2007/2008 financial crises, we need something big to shake the financial world, something like the collapse of USD and the imperial system. We need people in finance to look at bitcoin and not gold as the hedge against bad times.

What do you think will trigger mass adoption?

Heres a good video on gold price suppression and how America will be ground zero for the collapse of the dollar:

http://www.runtogold.com/2005/08/robert-landis-at-goldrush-21-with-gata/
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 07:52:22 PM

Cyprus 2.0. By 2016 it will be legal to steal from peoples private accounts in EU countries. By next year, Germany. They are as usual ahead of the game.

If we have some easier and safer ways to buy and hold coins by then, all the better.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 07:58:31 PM

Cyprus 2.0. By 2016 it will be legal to steal from peoples private accounts in EU countries. By next year, Germany. They are as usual ahead of the game.

If we have some easier and safer ways to buy and hold coins by then, all the better.

This... the govs will steal 10-90% of peoples holdings in their bank accounts.

Once this happens in countries where people live in dream land and are so arrogent they believe it could never happen to them.. shit will get crazy.
JimDowJones (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:00:00 AM

Ya thats a good point, Cyprus had a definite correlation with btc price. Its also one of the only world events you can positively correlate with btc price.
XxionxX

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

Digital money you say?

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:10:39 AM

I don't think mass adoption will come until we have another bubble and hover at ~$1k+ after if pops. I think this means a few more wealthy players are going to have to take a chance or we are going to have to build more profitable bitcoin businesses. Building businesses will of course drive the investment into bitcoin much better than speculation.

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 01:42:03 AM

The current crop of crypto crowd either fading into obscurity or being prosecuted for fraud, and being overshadowed by real professionals and real money.

It will be a catastrophe for people here, and comedy for normal people.
XxionxX

Activity: 254

Digital money you say?

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:09:42 AM

The current crop of crypto crowd either fading into obscurity or being prosecuted for fraud, and being overshadowed by real professionals and real money.

It will be a catastrophe for people here, and comedy for normal people.

Can't tell if thinly veiled troll or actual opinion that all bitcoin usage is illegal...  Huh

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
JimDowJones (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:16:16 AM

Its like the first 2 month span with a consistent drop in price and people(^) are freaking out.
biggus dickus

Activity: 310

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:23:08 AM

By 2016 it will be legal to steal from peoples private accounts in EU countries. By next year, Germany. They are as usual ahead of the game.

Can you provide a link to an authoritative source of information about this please? Is the EU putting new rules into its legislation?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:27:30 AM

1) Country adopting radical austerity measures
2) Country seizing wealth (Cyprus 2.0)
3) Hyperinflation in a Western country, esp. US
4) Germany leaving the Euro or OPEC excommunicating the petrodollar
5) Default by Japan, UK, or other major economic power
6) Crypto-only mainstream "killer app" gaining major popularity w/ marketing blitz through traditional media (esp. television)
     6a) Coverage of BTC ATMs (within 25mi radius) of >75% of at least 3 major economic powers
7) Extreme distrust in government; ebola/MERS/etc panic, weapons bans (US), production nationalization, climate change collapsing/destroying infrastructure

Not really sure we'll see some particular, magic "trigger event." More likely a gradual change, I'd think.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:53:17 AM

By 2016 it will be legal to steal from peoples private accounts in EU countries. By next year, Germany. They are as usual ahead of the game.

Can you provide a link to an authoritative source of information about this please? Is the EU putting new rules into its legislation?
I think it was a zerohedge article. Haven't bothered looking for official sources, nor do I feel any need to. I'm sure google can help.

Watch out for us banks too by the way. They are all playing the same game.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 03:16:02 AM

First world countries really don't need Bitcoin in the immediate future.  Waiting for the next global recession could take awhile. 

It's the third world countries that need Bitcoin due to no banking and expensive remittance fees.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 01:49:46 PM

The next halving is more like March-April 2016. We are a bit ahead on schedule.

Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:09:53 PM

March-April 2016 is optimistic, currently it's: Reward-Drop ETA: 2016-07-31.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
Arv1e

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:57:08 PM

Adoption is ongoing. There is no such thing as 'Mass Adoption' as this is just a continuation of adoption past a critical point when the critical mass falls within "Mainstream".

The best way to consider this is to look at something which was been created recently and is now acceptable or deemed redundant.

One of my very early jobs was as a Capital Equiplment salesperson wen I was about 18 and had decided not to go to Uni but get a job. It paid very well if i hit target and I got a Company Car.

So we are talking about the 'Birth' of the plain paper photocopier. No one had one and i made shed loads of wonga!!!

Just as i started they released a Fax machine. To be honest we were busy selling photocopiers and couldnt really see how we could sell the Fax.

So ask yourself this. You have the first Fax machine, no one else has one.. How do you sell it on the grounds NO ONE has a machine to send Faxes too.

So I will tell you and then you will understand adoption.

We found businesses which paper and time were of value and had multiple office locations.. Such as Solkicitors and accountants. We sold it to them as a very cheap and fast way to share inofrmation internally.

It took about 8 years before there were enough machines were in the world that suddenly it was recognised as the better way of B2B communication

There will NOT be ONE event.. its happening as we speak however there may be some small event which severely affect the BTC value such as Chinese panicking when we spiked $1000.

I would suggest that 'Mass Adoption' is defined by market cap and my figure would be a BTC price circa @10,000.

smalltimer

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:07:46 PM

massadoption comes with bitcoin failing due to Karpeles dumping until the year 2018 and dogecoin replacing it  Wink
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:55:33 PM

Just a thought...

We need normal non-Nerd people using Bitcoin.
They want to pay using a method that is known to them.
They know cash and they know plastic.

Although centralized, if VISA and/or Mastercard would adopt Bitcoin this would be a great intermediate step towards mass-adoption.
Most people want their money to be protected/insured anyway forcing them to entrust a bank with their money. Keeping all your money at home was never a good idea Smiley.

Paying native-decentralized-homeprotected-bitcoin would be for the more advanced black-market people Smiley

In a later stadium we might even put our money in the cloud Tongue
Cloud-Banking Smiley

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 05:21:44 PM

I dont see how the halving is relevant to mass adoption in any case? how does the mass care about halving, when most dont even know what Bitcoin is? what would make them want to own and use Bitcoin? how does the halving help.
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 05:34:07 PM

I dont see how the halving is relevant to mass adoption in any case? how does the mass care about halving, when most dont even know what Bitcoin is? what would make them want to own and use Bitcoin? how does the halving help.

Halving helps because it causes a decrease in supply, which promotes increases in price, which leads to media attention and even more speculative buying and price increases. A new wave of users is tempted to buy because of "fear of missing out."
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 05:48:07 PM

Halving helps because it causes a decrease in supply, which promotes increases in price, which leads to media attention and even more speculative buying and price increases. A new wave of users is tempted to buy because of "fear of missing out."
Yep and there's so many more ways for a lot more people across the globe to get their hands on coins during such a scenario. We just need to consider and ask ourselves that with such a broader and available market to participate in the "fear of missing out", what kind of a magnitude it could drive the price in relation to the last big one. This time, Bitcoin won't be this thing that came out of no where and people have never heard of it much less have a clue what it is and how to get them. However, I'd like the growth to be more organic in terms of businesses offering discounts for purchasing in Bitcoin so the properties behind the coin can be the driver in demand and consequentially, the pricing.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: