Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:51:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a factory reset computer be used for cold storage?  (Read 2458 times)
KidPoker (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 09:50:38 PM

I need to buy a new laptop anyway so I was wondering if I completely wipe my current laptop (It's a sony vaio) could I then use it as my cold storage laptop? I plan to make a large investment in bitcoins very soon and was wondering if factory resetting my current laptop would be sufficient in terms of security? Cheers.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 10:00:10 PM

I need to buy a new laptop anyway so I was wondering if I completely wipe my current laptop (It's a sony vaio) could I then use it as my cold storage laptop? I plan to make a large investment in bitcoins very soon and was wondering if factory resetting my current laptop would be sufficient in terms of security? Cheers.

1. Disconnect the laptop from internet.

2. Run Bitcoin-QT or some program to generate your address.

3. Send the wallet to an USB.

4. Remove the USB.

5. Ctrl+Shift+Del your wallet details from the laptop. If possible, format it once.

6. Connect your laptop to the internet and send bitcoin to your address, whose details are in USB.

7. Just keep the USB detouched from all internet connections... and you are safe Smiley
KidPoker (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 10:10:58 PM

Cheers for the reply. I know about generating wallets/addresses safely and clean booting from ubuntu/tails etc but I want a watch only wallet on my new laptop and have armory installed on my cold laptop. I was under the impression that apart from paper wallets, this is the best option? So I wasn't sure if factory restoring my laptop was be sufficient enough in terms of security to do this?
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 11:22:27 PM

Remove the wireless card and don't plug anything into it
melvinparham556

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 01:30:12 AM

you can try something else to check just turn off and turn on...then try again
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:16:45 AM

you can try something else to check just turn off and turn on...then try again

and what will that do?
Samthing

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:21:36 AM

4. Remove the USB.

5. Ctrl+Shift+Del your wallet details from the laptop. If possible, format it once.

6. Connect your laptop to the internet and send bitcoin to your address, whose details are in USB.

7. Just keep the USB detouched from all internet connections... and you are safe Smiley

No need to use the Bitcoin-QT and send the dat to a USB. All he need is vanitygen.
Brantley

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 08:49:27 AM

4. Remove the USB.

No need to use the Bitcoin-QT and send the dat to a USB. All he need is vanitygen.
Vanitygen don't allow you to convert it to paper wallet or am I wrong? I believe bitaddress.org is the best for cold storage.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 11:07:20 AM

To answer your question: Yes, a wiped machine with disabled WiFi (as someone allready posted) can be used as cold storrage. Just make sure you format all drives before (or durring setup) installing the new OS.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Zawamiya

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 01:02:07 PM

Yes you can do that, and be sure to keep some backup for your wallet..
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:11:47 PM

It could I would get rid of the crap they include with most computer's.

Also I would still put a good anti-virus on it and malaware protection before moving in.
KidPoker (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:15:38 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone, greatly appreciated.
lamaze

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:34:20 PM

4. Remove the USB.

By the way, is this 100% safe?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 02:55:58 PM

-snip-

4. Remove the USB.

Nope, an advanced trojan could be transmitted to the offline system via USB, snatch your private keys and call home when possible (e.g. using your online machine to broadcast the signed TX). So this might be compromised the moment you try to spend the bitcoins (e.g. connect the USB stick to an online machine). You also have a single point of failure (the USB stick) if it breaks your coins are gone.

On the other hand: nothing is 100% safe.

KidPoker (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 03:35:05 PM

-snip-

4. Remove the USB.

Nope, an advanced trojan could be transmitted to the offline system via USB, snatch your private keys and call home when possible (e.g. using your online machine to broadcast the signed TX). So this might be compromised the moment you try to spend the bitcoins (e.g. connect the USB stick to an online machine). You also have a single point of failure (the USB stick) if it breaks your coins are gone.

So if your private keys are air gapped and if even using a usb to sign transactions isn't 100% safe, what is the alternative to signing transactions from an offline computer?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2014, 04:18:27 PM

-snip-

So if your private keys are air gapped and if even using a usb to sign transactions isn't 100% safe, what is the alternative to signing transactions from an offline computer?

#1 QR Code, e.g. the bither app uses them
#2 sound [1]
#3 type the TX by hand, which is IMHO the safest way, unless your brain was hacked [3].  That level of security is almost never needed. On the other hand its not that hard unless you create a TX with 100 outputs/inputs. The nasty part would be the signed TX, which is just hex code and typos can happen easily.
#4 floppy [2]
#5 CD/DVD which is costly and has the similar problems USB has

Edit: In case this wasnt clear, I think for the majority of bitcoin users an USB stick is fine to transport data from cold to hot wallet. Not everyone needs/has a tinfoil hat.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735111.0
[2] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=813295.0
[3]

KidPoker (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:26:17 PM

-snip-

#1 QR Code, e.g. the bither app uses them
#2 sound [1]
#3 type the TX by hand, which is IMHO the safest way, unless your brain was hacked [3].  That level of security is almost never needed. On the other hand its not that hard unless you create a TX with 100 outputs/inputs. The nasty part would be the signed TX, which is just hex code and typos can happen easily.
#4 floppy [2]
#5 CD/DVD which is costly and has the similar problems USB has

Edit: In case this wasnt clear, I think for the majority of bitcoin users an USB stick is fine to transport data from cold to hot wallet. Not everyone needs/has a tinfoil hat.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735111.0
[2] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=813295.0
[3] http://www.turnkeylinux.org/files/images/blog/i-know-kung-fu.jpg

What a fantastic post. The sound option is fascinating to read about. Thanks a lot!
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:32:55 PM

Some malware have been known to cross or bridge the air gaps. But those are extreme.

To answer the question, I would probably nuke the old computer using DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke), with at least 1 full pass. Then I would create partitions or format it fresh.

I would not use a factory reset. I will just use a linux CD/DVD/ISO or even WinXP/7/8.1.

It's not ever going to connect to the internet right? So you don't need any other drivers. You don't even need the anti-virus stuff. The nice thing about ISO files is you can check the SHA256 or MD5 and know the installation media is clean. More or less.

KidPoker (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:37:38 PM

Some malware have been known to cross or bridge the air gaps. But those are extreme.

To answer the question, I would probably nuke the old computer using DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke), with at least 1 full pass. Then I would create partitions or format it fresh.

I would not use a factory reset. I will just use a linux CD/DVD/ISO or even WinXP/7/8.1.

It's not ever going to connect to the internet right? So you don't need any other drivers. You don't even need the anti-virus stuff. The nice thing about ISO files is you can check the SHA256 or MD5 and know the installation media is clean. More or less.

Thanks for the DBAN tip and idea to just use a linux CD after verifying the sha256. That sounds like a much better idea. Yeah it's never going to connect to the net.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 05:03:35 PM

-snip-

4. Remove the USB.

Thats extremely far fetched. What are the chances?

A laptop with wifi turned off (dont even need to remove the actual card for fuck sakes) will be safe unless you are someone like fucking Asagne or something.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: