Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:12:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has trading ruined the day for HODLERS?  (Read 2783 times)
DustyRah (OP)

Activity: 530
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:38:34 AM

Clearly traders are taking out a chunk whenever possible out of Bitcoin's rise in price. Here is some news about bots trading its pants off automatically:

http://www.coindesk.com/stopcoin-turns-coinbase-account-automated-trading-bot/

Given the dramatic rise in price end of last year, traders rolled into the game and have been chopping off peaks as soon as they can, keeping the HODLERS from making any headway!

Hopefully the economic recovery may draw traders away and leave Bitcoin to a steady rise.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:43:54 AM

There were traders aplenty at all price points above $1. THere were serious shenanigans going on when the price was $3-$15. I remember when it broke $5 the manipulator (aka the trader with the most money) probably got slaughtered.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:51:40 AM

*shrug* Hodlers gonna hodl. So long as the coin isn't needed for life expenses, it doesn't really matter how long it takes the hodl to fodl; it's in a (mental) vault. Traders are short-term and I assume they more-or-less balance each other out, where their influence is really more in creating stability than manipulating any long-term trends (unless there's a significant number with large stakes about to be burned).
Snipe85

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

Infleum

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 03:34:36 AM

Traders gonna trade hodlers gonna hodl. I like this explanation. Sooner or later bitcoin is going to explode again or die. There's no other outcome.

eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 04:02:06 AM

HODL'ers haven't realized their capital gains/losses by definition. Traders are playing in their own zero sum game with each other. So neither group has won or lost, nor do they need to at each other's expense. The losers are the ones who are neither - i.e. those that exited with a realized loss.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 10:39:26 AM

*shrug* Hodlers gonna hodl. So long as the coin isn't needed for life expenses, it doesn't really matter how long it takes the hodl to fodl; it's in a (mental) vault. Traders are short-term and I assume they more-or-less balance each other out, where their influence is really more in creating stability than manipulating any long-term trends (unless there's a significant number with large stakes about to be burned).

Came here to write a long essay on how OP suffers from a misunderstanding of what 'trading' vs. 'holding' does, but looks like you already answered it better than I could have.

Here's my own version of a similar argument anyway:

Traders don't fundamentally change anything. They add a bit of volatility at the beginning of a trend (momentum following), they take a bit of it away at the other end (mean reversion), and first and foremost, they add a modicum of second-level predictability to the market by preying on the first-level predictability of the 'purely intuitive' market participants.

None of that changes the larger fundamental question every market faces: is buying pressure dominating, or selling pressure?

For the past year, it was the latter, and that can't be the fault of traders - they, like anyone else, can only sell a coin they own once before buying it back again.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:04:46 AM

There are several significant BTC stashes that will be liquidated soon.
The FTC seized and got permission to liquidate iirc something like 25K BTC from butterfly labs. The Australian government is about to auction 9K silkroad coins. There is the strong possibility that Tim Draper will begin cutting some losses on his 30K auction (or is already doing so). So in the short/medium time, I wouldnt be surprised if the price dropped further or at best remained flat.

Doesnt matter to me, Im still hodling. Ive been progressively selling fractions of my stash from $~10 all the way up to ~$1000 and down to $600. Ever since it dropped below that, I stopped selling. If it drops below $200 I will start buying again for the first time in forever, and I wont resume selling before its above $600 and then continue doing so each month until Ive sold half my initial stash. The rest is a long term pension fund Smiley.
DeadCoin

Activity: 1246
Merit: 261

★ Investor | Trader | Promoter

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:21:39 AM

The whole point of bitcoin is to squeeze the most fiat and the most profits out of it. Only bag holders and cultists don't seem to understand that.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:26:44 AM

The whole point of bitcoin is to squeeze the most fiat and the most profits out of it. Only bag holders and cultists don't seem to understand that.

I don't think you understand bitcoin at all.
DeadCoin

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:29:34 AM

No, you don't. But don't listen to me, you just hodl, while others make money at your expense (I'm talking real money, like dollar, euro, pound)
inca
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:48:53 AM

No, you don't. But don't listen to me, you just hodl, while others make money at your expense (I'm talking real money, like dollar, euro, pound)

I am guessing you are a young man with few assets. I wish you good luck trading up your holdings.
TheMasterKey

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:51:32 AM

Those who are in it for the long run do not care about this. I am one of those. Couldn't care less.
DeadCoin

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:54:59 AM

I am guessing you are a young man with few assets. I wish you good luck trading up your holdings.

All I can say to you, wealth is not measured in bitcoin, it is measured in dollar (and other fiat). You're not wealthy how much bitcoins you have, you're wealthy how much dollars they're worth.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:01:48 PM

All I can say to you, wealth is not measured in bitcoin, it is measured in dollar (and other fiat). You're not wealthy how much bitcoins you have, you're wealthy how much dollars they're worth.

So what you are saying is assets can be priced in different currency units? What if one doesn't live in the US?
DeadCoin

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:08:46 PM

So what you are saying is assets can be priced in different currency units? What if one doesn't live in the US?

That's why I said other fiat in parenthesis. Just something is priced in different currency units doesn't make it same as them. Bitcoin is an asset, financial and speculative tool, but not a currency.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:21:49 PM

That's why I said other fiat in parenthesis. Just something is priced in different currency units doesn't make it same as them. Bitcoin is an asset, financial and speculative tool, but not a currency.

Why is it not a currency?
DeadCoin

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:36:17 PM

Why is it not a currency?

It's not used to trade goods and services. Or at least, it's used only marginally for that. Most of it's use comes from speculation, trading other currencies with it, that's why I said it's financial tool, an asset. Bitcoin is a vehicle for transacting other currencies, but it's not a currency itself. It could be a currency, but presently it's certainly not.
TheMasterKey

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:46:57 PM

Maybe for some, but for the genuine holders , nothing has changed IMO.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:47:01 PM

It's not used to trade goods and services. Or at least, it's used only marginally for that. Most of it's use comes from speculation, trading other currencies with it, that's why I said it's financial tool, an asset. Bitcoin is a vehicle for transacting other currencies, but it's not a currency itself. It could be a currency, but presently it's certainly not.

Sorry to disagree but it is used to trade goods and services. I buy take away with it once a week. I could buy a new laptop with it on dell, or a hotel on expedia. It is supported by the transactions on the dark web with items priced in bitcoin only.

There is a large component of speculation in the price but i am not sure why that is relevant, given the global forex market which speculates with >4 trillion dollars in currency units exchanged per day, with global gdp being only 100 trillion dollars a year.
DeadCoin

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 12:56:51 PM

Sorry to disagree but it is used to trade goods and services. I buy take away with it once a week. I could buy a new laptop with it on dell, or a hotel on expedia. It is supported by the transactions on the dark web with items priced in bitcoin only.

There is a large component of speculation in the price but i am not sure why that is relevant, given the global forex market which speculates with >4 trillion dollars in currency units exchanged per day, with global gdp being only 100 trillion dollars a year.

When you buy something with it, you're not buying it with bitcoin, but with fiat it represents. Goods are priced in fiat, not in bitcoin. That's why I say it's a tool for transacting a currency. What you're doing is when you buy a laptop you're sending your fiat via bitcoin to a retailer. Purchasing power of bitcoin comes from fiat, bitcoin is just a way of transaction, but not a currency itself. Think about it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: