Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:42:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has trading ruined the day for HODLERS?  (Read 2778 times)
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 01:08:11 PM

It's not used to trade goods and services. Or at least, it's used only marginally for that. Most of it's use comes from speculation, trading other currencies with it, that's why I said it's financial tool, an asset. Bitcoin is a vehicle for transacting other currencies, but it's not a currency itself. It could be a currency, but presently it's certainly not.

Sorry to disagree but it is used to trade goods and services. I buy take away with it once a week. I could buy a new laptop with it on dell, or a hotel on expedia. It is supported by the transactions on the dark web with items priced in bitcoin only.

There is a large component of speculation in the price but i am not sure why that is relevant, given the global forex market which speculates with >4 trillion dollars in currency units exchanged per day, with global gdp being only 100 trillion dollars a year.

When you buy something with it, you're not buying it with bitcoin, but with fiat it represents. Goods are priced in fiat, not in bitcoin. That's why I say it's a tool for transacting a currency. What you're doing is when you buy a laptop you're sending your fiat via bitcoin to a retailer. Purchasing power of bitcoin comes from fiat, bitcoin is just a way of transaction, but not a currency itself. Think about it.

Your argument seems to morph with each rebuttal Smiley
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeadCoin

Activity: 1246
Merit: 261

★ Investor | Trader | Promoter

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 01:29:28 PM

It's not used to trade goods and services. Or at least, it's used only marginally for that. Most of it's use comes from speculation, trading other currencies with it, that's why I said it's financial tool, an asset. Bitcoin is a vehicle for transacting other currencies, but it's not a currency itself. It could be a currency, but presently it's certainly not.

Sorry to disagree but it is used to trade goods and services. I buy take away with it once a week. I could buy a new laptop with it on dell, or a hotel on expedia. It is supported by the transactions on the dark web with items priced in bitcoin only.

There is a large component of speculation in the price but i am not sure why that is relevant, given the global forex market which speculates with >4 trillion dollars in currency units exchanged per day, with global gdp being only 100 trillion dollars a year.

When you buy something with it, you're not buying it with bitcoin, but with fiat it represents. Goods are priced in fiat, not in bitcoin. That's why I say it's a tool for transacting a currency. What you're doing is when you buy a laptop you're sending your fiat via bitcoin to a retailer. Purchasing power of bitcoin comes from fiat, bitcoin is just a way of transaction, but not a currency itself. Think about it.

Dark web, lol. That's all you got?
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 01:39:06 PM

Dark web, lol. That's all you got?

No but you ignored everything else when I proved that bitcoin is a currency by your own metrics.  Anyway real life intrudes. Smiley
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 03:39:49 PM

bitcoin is just a way of transaction, but not a currency itself. Think about it.

The same could be said of the currency of a small country. Have you vacationed in the Dominican Republic? The stuff that tourists buy are priced in Pesos but the prices are synced with the USD exchange rate. However this does not invalidate the Dominican Peso as a currency.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 06:09:46 PM

The original post is absurd. Traders can not take anything from hodlers.
orsotheysaid

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:07:27 PM

There are long term holders being scared shitless daily and pulling out their holdings via scary a series of panic sells. Too many panic sells together + actual daytraders make it seem as if it's all day traders fault, but a lot of holders are selling these days.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 10:00:18 PM

There are long term holders being scared shitless daily and pulling out their holdings via scary a series of panic sells. Too many panic sells together + actual daytraders make it seem as if it's all day traders fault, but a lot of holders are selling these days.

Days destroyed implies otherwise.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 10:03:02 PM

I lost more trading than I have holding.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 10:14:40 PM

Days destroyed implies otherwise.

Don't come at him with facts  Tongue
DustyRah (OP)

Activity: 530
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 11:52:22 PM

The original post is absurd. Traders can not take anything from hodlers.

Traders have created incredible uncertainty and volatility, causing the overall value of Bitcoin to stay low. Spooked hodlers are bailing out is why the price keeps creeping downwards.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4469

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 01:51:53 AM

LOL thread.

Holders are traders.

They traded when they acquired their coins (unless they mined them which involves trading their hardware investment and electricity for them) and they will trade again when they use them later to purchase beer, t-shirts, fiat currency, laptops, excursions, etc.

TheTribesman
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 02:04:57 AM

I lost more trading than I have holding.
Ditto. My only issue now is having to sync every once in a while  Undecided

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 02:10:29 AM

LOL thread.

Holders are traders.

They traded when they acquired their coins (unless they mined them which involves trading their hardware investment and electricity for them) and they will trade again when they use them later to purchase beer, t-shirts, fiat currency, laptops, excursions, etc.
I;d guess the most reasonable term for people who hodl for extended periods of time ("long-term traders") would be "bears." They hibernate until the price is dramatically higher than their buy-in and don't wake up even if the price tanks. I've never really understood what conventional use of "bearish" was supposed to illiterate, anyway. Bears paw it down and bulls uhh... gore it up, maybe?
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4469

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 02:45:56 AM

I've never really understood what conventional use of "bearish" was supposed to illiterate, anyway. Bears paw it down and bulls uhh... gore it up, maybe?

You made me look it up. Seems you could be right.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/129.asp

Then again it could be bearskin jobbers and bull/bear-baiters.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: