Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:50:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU makes ticking sound when mining using X11mod?  (Read 2349 times)
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 12:42:36 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2014, 08:39:35 PM by e1ghtSpace

I have an R9 290X GPU. When I used to mine with the original X11 miner (not optimized) all I could hear was my gpu's fan.
But now when I mine with the optimized X11 miner (X11mod) my GPU makes a fast ticking sound.

Is this normal? It seems like it isn't meant to happen.

Also, does anyone have the download link for the old X11 miner?

Edit: I just discovered that my GPU runs cgminer fine when mining with scrypt.

Edit: Read my last post!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 12:56:38 AM

I have an R9 290X GPU. When I used to mine with the original X11 miner (not optimized) all I could hear was my gpu's fan.
But now when I mine with the optimized X11 miner (X11mod) my GPU makes a fast ticking sound.

Wait, wait, wait. The best available X11 kernels are already fuck slow - and you want to go get a SLOWER one?
Well, the ticking sounds like a spark or something. So I don't feel comfortable knowing that my GPU may be getting destroyed.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 01:07:04 AM

Wait, wait, wait. The best available X11 kernels are already fuck slow - and you want to go get a SLOWER one?
Well, the ticking sounds like a spark or something. So I don't feel comfortable knowing that my GPU may be getting destroyed.

It's more than likely the fan - do you have it on auto-fan?
Nope, do I add --auto-fan to the .bat file?

Should I get older catalyst drivers?

Edit: Holy Shit my fan is loud!
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 01:13:54 AM

No; if it's truly something in the GPU ticking, you need to find out what it is, and if it's something bad, take it back. You don't keep mining with it.

I mean, I abuse the shit out of my 290X, having it mine at 1100/1600 at 9.6MH/s on a kernel I rewrote (hotter, by a little, too) - and I STILL wouldn't fuck with a GPU I think might be sparking.
Aww man, it broke 5 months ago. (Vanity address miner)
I took it back and they "fixed" it 5 weeks later. But it still didn't work. After 5 minutes of playing a game the screen went corrupted. So I took it back again and then they really fixed it. (2 months later)
BTW the ticking happened on my GPU before it broke. But not on the old version of SGminer.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 01:26:04 AM

No; if it's truly something in the GPU ticking, you need to find out what it is, and if it's something bad, take it back. You don't keep mining with it.

I mean, I abuse the shit out of my 290X, having it mine at 1100/1600 at 9.6MH/s on a kernel I rewrote (hotter, by a little, too) - and I STILL wouldn't fuck with a GPU I think might be sparking.
I took it back and the "fixed" it 5 weeks later. But it still didn't work. After 5 minutes of playing a game the screen went corrupted. So I took it back again and then they really fixed it. (2 months later)
BTW the ticking happened on my GPU before it broke. But not on the old version of SGminer.

Yeah - not fixed. Send it in for RMA, they usually give you a new one back.
They don't (for me at least). I'm pretty sure they just repair it.
What does your .bat file look like? Mine doesn't have any settings in it.

Code:
sgminer -k x11mod -I 18 -o stratum+tcp://pool -u user -p pass --auto-fan

When I use my R9 for games it's fine. Even rendering stuff in blender. I wonder why mining is such a problem.

btw, is your gpu switch on quiet mode or uber?
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 01:35:20 AM

I took it back and the "fixed" it 5 weeks later. But it still didn't work. After 5 minutes of playing a game the screen went corrupted. So I took it back again and then they really fixed it. (2 months later)

Yeah - not fixed. Send it in for RMA, they usually give you a new one back.
They don't (for me at least). I'm pretty sure they just repair it.
What does your .bat file look like? Mine doesn't have any settings in it.

Code:
sgminer -k x11mod -I 18 -o stratum+tcp://pool -u user -p pass --auto-fan

When I use my R9 for games it's fine. Even rendering stuff in blender. I wonder why mining is such a problem.

btw, is your gpu switch on quiet mode or uber?

Uber - I use a conf file, setting worksize and intensity, fan speed, clocks, etc.
Do you mind sharing it?
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 01:38:14 AM

I guess its also bad that my screen freezes/gets corrupted after mining for 5 minutes.
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 01:43:46 AM

Slow down your fan speed to see if the problem comes from it. If it is then you can either try to oil it, remove it or replace it...
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 01:52:09 AM

Slow down your fan speed to see if the problem comes from it. If it is then you can either try to oil it, remove it or replace it...
I'm pretty sure it's not the fan. The ticking sound is at the same interval no matter the speed of the fan.
Plus, when I am rendering an animation or something in blender, when my gpu's fan speed up a lot it it doesn't make the ticking sound. The sound appears right when I start the miner (after it has loaded) and stopps right when I close the miner. I'll test scrypt and sha256 to see if the problem happens with those algorithms.
MTJ151

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 10:35:26 AM

Sometimes the casing of the 'relays' (? or some other component) can get lose due to previous heat. Then when the relays (or whatever they are) get used again they can make a kinda ticking noise.  It's quite faint though. If it's louder and your really think it's sparking then you have a problem.

I've had it on my cards after mining scrypt for a long time. The cards I noticed it on are 280x toxics. The cards continue to mine to this day though.
Don Flamenco

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 10:52:52 PM

Yeah, me either.  It's just bad news waiting to happen.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 07:45:37 AM

OK guys, I just tested Scrypt and it works fine. No corrupted screen or ticks whatsoever. Weird huh? I guess it's just the x11 miner.

Again, does anyone have the download link for the older miner? I just want to test it and see if it makes the ticking sound as well.
cassimares

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 08:59:45 AM

OK guys, I just tested Scrypt and it works fine. No corrupted screen or ticks whatsoever. Weird huh? I guess it's just the x11 miner.

Again, does anyone have the download link for the older miner? I just want to test it and see if it makes the ticking sound as well.

That is just weird, did you try underclock and undervolt to see if it helps?

e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 11:55:54 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2014, 06:10:50 AM by e1ghtSpace

That is just weird, did you try underclock and undervolt to see if it helps?
I don't really know how to do that. Actually, I think I can do it with Catalyst Control Center.
I'll do it when I get home.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 07:16:13 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2014, 07:29:36 AM by e1ghtSpace

Ok, this might help pinpoint the problem.
I am able to mine x11 with my intensity low. But when the intensity gets higher, the card overloads or something. The ticking starts and then after a bit, the screen becomes corrupted. i.e. Pixels change colour and everything glitches out.

Here is the details;

Intensity can't exceed 12.
Experimental intensity can't exceed 2.
Raw intensity can't exceed around 6000.

On the slightly positive side, i'm getting 1.3 mhash/s

Now, does anyone know how I can set those values above in the .bat file?

Off topic;
What does 1.600M/1.300Mh/s in the sgminer hud mean?
Is the second value the mhashes?
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 11:34:29 PM

Ok, this might help pinpoint the problem.
I am able to mine x11 with my intensity low. But when the intensity gets higher, the card overloads or something. The ticking starts and then after a bit, the screen becomes corrupted. i.e. Pixels change colour and everything glitches out.

Here is the details;

Intensity can't exceed 12.
Experimental intensity can't exceed 2.
Raw intensity can't exceed around 6000.

On the slightly positive side, i'm getting 1.3 mhash/s

Now, does anyone know how I can set those values above in the .bat file?

Off topic;
What does 1.600M/1.300Mh/s in the sgminer hud mean?
Is the second value the mhashes?
I think that one of the two is an average, the other the peak value (or some average over some period)

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 12:09:29 PM

Ok, tomorrow morning I am going to run a stress test. Let's hope my GPU fails so I don't need to say that I use it to mine.
If it does fail, I'm going to ask the company who made my compiter for the receipts so I can get an RMA. The last two times they "fixed" it, they sent it to China or some place and it took 2 months to fix. It was bullshit.
Do you think they will let me get a replacement of I ask, or do they normally just repair it?
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 01:13:37 PM

Ok, tomorrow morning I am going to run a stress test. Let's hope my GPU fails so I don't need to say that I use it to mine.
If it does fail, I'm going to ask the company who made my compiter for the receipts so I can get an RMA. The last two times they "fixed" it, they sent it to China or some place and it took 2 months to fix. It was bullshit.
Do you think they will let me get a replacement of I ask, or do they normally just repair it?
well if the two previous times they didn't, I wouldn't expect much for the 3rd  Grin sorry...

not sure what is a stress test for a gpu miner... by itself mining is already a stress test...

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 08:27:35 PM

well if the two previous times they didn't, I wouldn't expect much for the 3rd  Grin sorry...

not sure what is a stress test for a gpu miner... by itself mining is already a stress test...
Ok, I did a stress test and my gpu made a high pitched sound. When the test started, it was low but then the pitch changed to a high pitched one. Do you think that is enough to get an RMA?
I guess I can always rename sgminer to stress test.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 08:41:50 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2014, 09:02:55 PM by e1ghtSpace

Holy crap!! I just made the biggest breakthrough with my gpu.

The problem turned out to be the drivers! I uninstalled my amd drivers and now my graphics card works fine!
I haven't restarted my computer yet (as recommended by the uninstaller) so sgminer may not work after a restart, but we'll see.

Restarting now...

Edit:
Awesome! It works fine now. Well, if I wait about 2 minutes for my gpu to heat up on intensity of 12 and then go higher.

Btw, fan speed is now controlled by percentage and not rpm.

Does anyone know how to not make --auto-fan suddenly go to 100% from 50% because it freaks me out and the temp isn't even that high.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: