Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:23:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I vote for Walker in the imminent Wisconsin election?  (Read 3852 times)
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 09:01:44 AM

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 01:09:48 PM

Voting is attempting to violently force (indirectly) a group to accept a government that they don't want.

You lost me right there. Sad. The moment you stop reciting a meme, the more your thoughts will be respected for their originality.
Government uses force to impose their will. Throwing your support behind someone puts that someone in place to use violence to impose their will. Though, voting's not really a violent act, given it's unreasonable to assume nobody will vote and thus the state will simply dissolve. That said, it's unreasonable to expect your vote to change an election, or make any impact, really - negative or positive. Waste of energy to vote. Waste of energy to talk about voting. I'm wasting energy, and I don't like inefficiency. Guten abend!

You know, that's exactly what the 80,000 Ralph Nader supporters said in Florida in 2000.

For some reason, they changed their mind when their idealistic stupidity meant Bush won.  I think you will agree that their votes did make a real difference, especially to Iraq.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 08:13:31 PM

I will be voting to send Walker home tomorrow. I wish I could vote to hang him. Yuck!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 09:18:04 PM

So you guys do not vote but then whine about the bad government that use force and violence? This is so fail, so fail.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 09:21:21 PM

So you guys do not vote but then whine about the bad government that use force and violence? This is so fail, so fail.
Can you explain why?
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 01:48:59 AM

I'm just going to nudge this in here

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2012/05/st_essay_voting/

Enjoy

www.bitminter.com

!
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 05:10:15 AM

I will be voting to send Walker home tomorrow. I wish I could vote to hang him. Yuck!

Why.  you work at say Sears hard all day you get paid squat.  Then these public sectors expect it all providing really nothing in return.  They retire in California and the 1st thing these public sector feces do is move to Idaho and Nevada to avoid taxes.  All the while taking home $200K a year in retirement, ripping off taxpayers loading up on overtime in the last 2 years they work.  If you love government so much, why are you on the bitcoin boards?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:04:22 AM

Yes
1.  Small government is good government.
2.  He's going to win.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 09:14:24 AM

Yes
1.  Small government is good government.
2.  He's going to win.
Republicans are all about Big Government though.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Why.  you work at say Sears hard all day you get paid squat.  Then these public sectors expect it all providing really nothing in return.  They retire in California and the 1st thing these public sector feces do is move to Idaho and Nevada to avoid taxes.  All the while taking home $200K a year in retirement, ripping off taxpayers loading up on overtime in the last 2 years they work.  If you love government so much, why are you on the bitcoin boards?
Why?... The republicans steal all our tax wealth by giving it to their political cronies and allowing them to avoid paying their own taxes. Then they see a public employee making a living wage and try to convince me they are the reason we are broke. Save it for the hillbillies on Fox news.
Voted!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:14:24 PM

However, since I am a student without much USD income

You are a student? How old are you, if you don't mind answering?
I always pictured you as an old fella with grown up kids and all. Smiley

About voting, it's quite likely that the probability of you winning the lottery is larger than the probability of your vote making any difference at all. I bet you're more likely to die in an accident in the way to the voting center than your vote making any difference. In order words, voting is useless. Democracy is an illusion. Don't waste your time.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:16:54 PM

However, since I am a student without much USD income

I always pictured you as an old fella with grown up kids and all. Smiley

About voting, it's quite likely that the probability of you winning the lottery is larger than the probability of your vote making any difference at all. I bet you're more likely to die in an accident in the way to the voting center than your vote making any difference. In order words, voting is useless. Democracy is an illusion. Don't waste your time.

On the contrary, democracy is not an illusion. Either vote, or expend your energy educating potential voters on the issues.
Explodicle

Activity: 950

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 05:31:01 PM

You know, that's exactly what the 80,000 Ralph Nader supporters said in Florida in 2000.

For some reason, they changed their mind when their idealistic stupidity meant Bush won.  I think you will agree that their votes did make a real difference, especially to Iraq.

Voting IS idealistic. You're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the polls than you are to change the final result. You spend bus fare, wait in line, present ID, educate yourself about candidates, etc. If you're completely rational, then voting is a bad idea; your average utility will decrease. Even if your values include the welfare of others, there are much more efficient means to achieve it in the same amount of time.

Most people unknowingly vote due to superrationality - they think about what if everyone like them skipped voting. Then the Bad Guys win! If you're willing to go to all that trouble to make an insignificant difference, why then take a step back and vote tactically, and with a one-move-ahead strategy like that? If you're using "if everyone did that" reasoning, shouldn't you vote for whoever you think everyone else should vote for?

It's popular to hate on Nader supporters, but far more people never voted at all, or voted for Bush. Nader supporters didn't ask for a broken plurality voting system - they're just answering honestly. Maybe you should blame a Democratic party that has no intention of fixing the flaw that led to Bush because it keeps them in power too.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:35:23 PM

I voted for Walker.

I never really considered voting for Barrett. For me, it was a choice between Walker and not voting at all. I just wanted to bring up the possibility that Barrett might be better for me personally even though he's a terrible candidate overall.

I'll be 21 on the 15th.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:50:01 PM

Ill buy you a beer on your birthday Theymos!

www.bitminter.com

!
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:44:02 PM

...snip...
It's popular to hate on Nader supporters, but far more people never voted at all, or voted for Bush. Nader supporters didn't ask for a broken plurality voting system - they're just answering honestly. Maybe you should blame a Democratic party that has no intention of fixing the flaw that led to Bush because it keeps them in power too.

Hating them would be totally wrong but they tested their "it doesn't matter if Bush or Gore wins" view and when they got Bush, they were yelling about it being a disaster.  In their case, they proved conclusively that voting does indeed matter.
Explodicle

Activity: 950

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 08:50:10 PM

...snip...

Hating them would be totally wrong but they tested their "it doesn't matter if Bush or Gore wins" view and when they got Bush, they were yelling about it being a disaster.  In their case, they proved conclusively that voting does indeed matter.

Agreed, whoever both claimed it didn't matter at all AND was upset about one beating the other is hypocritical. However, I think the number of people who intersect BOTH groups is quite small (if existant) and not representative of either Nader or his campaign. FWIW, I was a Nader '08 regional coordinator, I've even met him.

The official Nader position is that there IS a difference between greater and lesser evil. It's still evil, though! We still would have yelled about Gore winning too, just not as loudly.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 05:18:17 AM

I voted for Walker.

Thanks. As a government non-union IT worker, I can assure you that your vote is appreciated. IMHO the unions make government employees look bad.

I went into public service answering the call of what can I do for the country, not what the country can do for me. I would even go so far as to say a good number of folks enter civil service with the same intentions. My impressions from the unions have been that government should work exactly the opposite of that. Any time we can cull their power it's a win for the taxpayer.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 11:55:33 AM

Now that they are getting rid of unions, I expect that pensions and social security will be eliminated.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 12:03:12 PM

Can you explain why?
Because if you don't even vote when you have the chance you allow other people to choose the government and it's nonsense that you later say "bad government"
Non voting=other votes for you and choose the government for you

It's useless to speak about anarchy and liberal id you guys don't even vote for what YOU want.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: