Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:20:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Governments worldwide embraces Bitcoin's economic fluidity and transaction tax.  (Read 3637 times)
IMF-IRS (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 09:00:19 PM

Whilst the above could have been a good April fools' joke on 1 April - it's too late for April fools' jokes this time of year.  So the above might only be one of the numerous future scenario mainstream news headlines...

The fact is that a Bitcoin tax could very easily be implemented as a transaction tax percentage of the value of transfer.  This will in effect be a kind of turnover tax on the Bitcoin economy - allowing for the administrative easing of the burden of book keeping, etc., etc.

In its present form, the Bitcoin blockchain also allows for a legitimate, above board business, to easily prove non-involvement in money laundering activities - as a direct link can be proven of legitimately acquiring coins through sales / rendering of services and the expenditure of those coins leaving the business.

A Bitcoin tax will however have to be implemented in the client - and more than 50% of Bitcoin client users will have to democratically elect to the use of this client - all in the spirit of Bitcoin.  Social services should also make more use of Bitcoin donations - and the direct transfer it enables between the needy and the freely giving.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sortedmush

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 09:05:15 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2011, 12:33:07 AM by sortedmush

A Bitcoin tax will however have to be implemented in the client

Why didn't we think of this earlier?

Edit: I am of course being sarcastic.
BitcoinStars.com

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 09:08:46 PM

I vote no
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 09:38:51 PM

The obvious difficulty of getting current users to agree to such a tax collection mechanism to be added to their clients aside.  Which government would this tax be collected for?  Any government entity that you could choose will 1) not have the jurisdiction to tax all bitcoin users and 2) will have citizens of other nations that would desire to actively undermine the collecting government's ability to collect any taxes.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
peace

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 10:02:40 PM

Yeah, now govermetns can bomb each other or engage in foreign relations for this new resource - or bitcoin clients democratically elect which government to support on where they base their bitcoin client's ip in the cloud.  Better start lobbying those miners i'd say.
cloud9

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 11:10:41 PM

Pretty overcast over the us with cloud gathering over europe:  http://maps.google.com/maps?q=https://smsz.net/btcStats/bitcoin.kml

No questions on who will demand their share of the rain..

Current-C

Activity: 124

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 11:24:43 PM

Just looked at this and it sunk in that bitcoins haven't even really hit Asia yet.  Can you imagine what will happen when all that purchasing power enters the market? 
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 11:27:38 PM

A Bitcoin tax will however have to be implemented in the client - and more than 50% of Bitcoin client users will have to democratically elect to the use of this client - all in the spirit of Bitcoin.

I think it's rather 50% of bitcoin processing power, which is quite different.

Basically this client would reject all transactions that don't include a fee to some particular address belonging to the government.   Neat idea.

sortedmush

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:21:09 AM

Basically this client would reject all transactions that don't include a fee to some particular address belonging to the government.   Neat idea.

It'll never work, thank god. Any miner with half a brain will undercut the transaction fee. If anyone wants to collect transaction fees they'll have to compete in the free market.
Anonymous

May 17, 2011, 12:30:54 AM

No. I will not be voluntarily stolen from.
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:15:56 AM

Any miner with half a brain will undercut the transaction fee.

If we have to rely on brains, we are screwed.
sortedmush

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:24:40 AM

How so?
Anonymous

May 17, 2011, 02:28:12 AM

The value of bitcoin would be 0 at that point. There would also be anarcho-bitcoin created the second your shitty tax was implemented.

You want charity? Theres plenty of them on the trade page or at http://witcoin.com/charities  where you can freely choose whether to support as much or a s little as you like. Besides the only possible voluntary tax I would ever agree to have included is one that automatically donates to the faucet each time I transacted as well as the fee to pay for miners securing the system.

sortedmush

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 02:36:39 AM

The value of bitcoin would be 0 at that point. There would also be anarcho-bitcoin created the second your shitty tax was implemented.

You want charity? Theres plenty of them on the trade page or at http://witcoin.com/charities  where you can freely choose whether to support as much or a s little as you like. Besides the only possible voluntary tax I would ever agree to have included is one that automatically donates to the faucet each time I transacted as well as the fee to pay for miners securing the system.

BOOM!
+1
cloud9

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:42:40 PM

It seems that Bitcoin will ultimately fork when Goverments steps in.  There will ultimately be the fully disclosing, trackable, legal, regularized, tax-paying Bitcoin client version, and the shadowy, illegal, pseudonymous, banned Bitcoin client version.  There will be seperate exchange rates for each (wonder which would be the most valuable?!?)  Coins across the fork will not be recognised by either of the other networks' nodes.

http://falkvinge.net/2011/05/19/the-information-policy-case-for-flat-tax-and-basic-income/

kuba_10

Activity: 99

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:07:28 PM

Taxing transactions is one of the most unfair and causeless method of collecting money by the governments. I hate the idea of taxing everything in the world so you can tell people health services, roads, education etc. are "free", because this system is completely based on lies. That's why I support the idea of everyone being responsible for his own future, and I vote for libertarians.

EN<->PL, GER->EN, GER->PL TRANSLATIONS? Send a PM, will do it cheaper than others!
If someone gets kind: 1CtV2wKbQGFe1sfVPDYGroGSxehNfd1bHN
elewton

Activity: 407

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:26:03 PM

Maybe.
Governments could simply require that all one's salary be paid in GovCoins, with x% tax on initial pay and y% tax on transfers.  Simply ban laundering (as it's fairly detectable).  Since Government has the private keys, it could "bank" any amount over 999 GovCoins, to be used for investment by the state and require that more be withdrawn with reason.

Bitcoin has enormous potential to advance human freedom, but authoritarians can use tools too.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:32:27 PM

All they'd really have to do would be to set up and maintain a hashing fleet with enough power to monopolize the block generation stages, and then refuse to include transactions that don't have an appropriate fee.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:33:36 PM

How so?

Look at the amount of miners that mine for Deepbit regardless of the fact they are risking the health of the network. They don't care about Bitcoin, they care about a quick buck. And they aren't even doing that well, regardless of the health of the network, Deepbit charges the highest fees and low variance and paying for invalid blocks doesn't even it out.

So, everyone is jumping in the biggest pool (needlessly risking the health of the network) with the highest fees (earning less), and you expect them to make the right decisions when it comes transaction fees! Hah...!
sortedmush

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:57:29 PM

How so?

Look at the amount of miners that mine for Deepbit regardless of the fact they are risking the health of the network. They don't care about Bitcoin, they care about a quick buck. And they aren't even doing that well, regardless of the health of the network, Deepbit charges the highest fees and low variance and paying for invalid blocks doesn't even it out.

So, everyone is jumping in the biggest pool (needlessly risking the health of the network) with the highest fees (earning less), and you expect them to make the right decisions when it comes transaction fees! Hah...!

That doesn't change the fact that the market is free and that the transaction fees would have to be competitive. Anyone who charged a transaction fee that's big enough to pay for public services will be undercut by miners who cover their costs and make a modest profit.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: