Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:55:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This forum as an introduction to bitcoin!  (Read 1309 times)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 03:24:13 PM

This forum is not a good beacon for bitcoin.  There is just too many young and adolescent males with ego issues.  Unless your one of them you'd probably find the forum abhorrent.  When your reading posts about bestiality and incest it shows the forum and bitcoin in a bad light.  Yes I can ignore all the trolls but new users to forum and bitcoin are exposed to it all.  Maybe the forum should ban (graphic)swear words (especially in thread titles) and ban (graphic) talk about sex.  Also maybe imposing an age limit if possible would help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 03:37:10 PM

This forum is not a good beacon for bitcoin.  There is just too many young and adolescent males with ego issues.  Unless your one of them you'd probably find the forum abhorrent.  When your reading posts about bestiality and incest it shows the forum and bitcoin in a bad light.  Yes I can ignore all the trolls but new users to forum and bitcoin are exposed to it all.  Maybe the forum should ban (graphic)swear words (especially in thread titles) and ban (graphic) talk about sex.  Also maybe imposing an age limit if possible would help.

Is there even posts like that?  Shocked
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 03:45:32 PM

Swearing publicly at people in the UK can get you arrested for "breach of the peace" why should in cyber-space it be OK.  I'm all for non-censorship and often swear myself when in private conversation with my close friends but this is a public domain and big source of information for bitcoin based subjects.  Please don't limit it to young and adolescent males. 

Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 03:56:09 PM

Swearing publicly at people in the UK can get you arrested for "breach of the peace" why should in cyber-space it be OK.  I'm all for non-censorship and often swear myself when in private conversation with my close friends but this is a public domain and big source of information for bitcoin based subjects.  Please don't limit it to young and adolescent males. 
Maybe being arrested for simply swearing in public is fucking ridiculous. People who get offended by certain words lack maturity and shouldn't be pandered to.

As for your wider points - I think this forum is generally a good beacon for bitcoin. In my experience most of the discussion on here is very well informed.

There are certain posters that consistently post garbage, but it's the price we may for free speech and non-censorship. And they don't ruin the overall experience.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 05:08:29 PM

There are certain posters that consistently post garbage, but it's the price we may for free speech and non-censorship. And they don't ruin the overall experience.

Agreed, they usually have good points or post well otherwise at least.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85381

I'm just going to leave that here. I also agree good manners should be enforced with impunity; absolute impunity.

Half that thread is worthless trolling, but I'm not gonna draw a line and say "The OP can tell you to suck his dick, but you can't tell him you're doing his mom because it's rude".

That said, I generally wouldn't allow that kind of posting in "real" threads. That would be disruptive and would likely end in a ban if they consistently posted like that.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 05:16:42 PM

Maybe being arrested for simply swearing in public is fucking ridiculous.

Maybe???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwoqzb5R6vw

+1
Plus, you may ignore these posters.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 05:21:41 PM

Agreed, they usually have good points or post well otherwise at least.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85381

I'm just going to leave that here. I also agree good manners should be enforced with impunity; absolute impunity.

Half that thread is worthless trolling, but I'm not gonna draw a line and say "The OP can tell you to suck his dick, but you can't tell him you're doing his mom because it's rude".

That said, I generally wouldn't allow that kind of posting in "real" threads. That would be disruptive and would likely end in a ban if they consistently posted like that.

Yeah, there is ample reason why it was in the off-topic section. Anything is fair game inside there.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 09:37:56 AM

And the Bitcoin reddit has links to NWS sub-reddits like Girls Gone Bitcoin.

None of these forums are "official".  The closest thing there is to an official forum is the Bitcoin Stack Exchange. The rest are just groups of people whose sole thing in common is interest in some aspect of Bitcoin.

I'm a great believer in "make it and they will come".  If people really want a heavily moderated Bitcoin forum whose purpose is to showcase Bitcoin in a "civilised" fashion, they will flock to it if someone creates it.  So far, it seems to be the forums with the least moderation which attract users.

And forums are more akin to private clubs than they are to public streets.  You join knowing the rules and the moderation policies and are perfectly free to join a different club if you don't like the rules.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: