Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:02:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA mining for fun and profit  (Read 67125 times)
eturnerx

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 05:14:32 AM

From the sounds of things these sound like structured ASICs - somewhere between an FPGA and a normal ASIC in terms of performance but much cheaper to produce.  I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 08:59:37 AM

From the sounds of things these sound like structured ASICs - somewhere between an FPGA and a normal ASIC in terms of performance but much cheaper to produce.  I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me.

That's what he said. Works sorta like fpga with pre-fabbed logic gates. Then, through some processing magic, connections are permanently made (something about metal). Well, you know better than I do how that works and what it is exactly, but I remember him describing them along these lines, so you're likely right.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2011, 10:14:45 PM

I'd be willing to finance engineers to build a solution then I will resell it,
but first i need to know what to tell them?

Can we use this board?
http://www.knjn.com/FPGA-PCIe.html

ttul

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:35:05 PM

Also, you will not see a bitcoin ASIC. Complex ASICs required highly skilled (read: expensive) engineers and even more expensive processes to put them into place. When there is already a very good solution to the problem (GPUs) and an enormously volatile and unpredictable exchange rate, you're not going to see such an investment. Not to mention that investors in such a project would almost certainly demand immediate cashing out of mining proceeds to pay off their investment, which would put significant downward pressure on the exchange rate. ASIC mining is a pipe dream.

I hate to disappoint you...

Unless you're referring to those had to read your vague half sentence, I don't think you've disappointed anyone.

Are you suggesting that you know of someone putting millions of dollars into developing a custom ASIC for mining?

Sorry for being vague. Yes, it will be announced soon that someone is putting a great deal of capital into custom mining hardware. Getting a few ASICs produced using a shared wafer process is not particularly expensive. This is larger scale.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 12:29:02 AM

At what price does an ASIC batch start at ?

(rough estimate please)
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 01:50:42 AM

http://www.edaboard.com/thread115517.htm

That discussion is a couple of years old.

Also see this PDF, also a bit old:  http://www-ee.ccny.cuny.edu/www/web/xchen/StructuredASIC.pdf

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
ttul

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:05:43 PM

(rough estimate please)

You can get a design into a shared wafer for as little as $25,000. In some countries there are academic fabs that make chips for student projects, etc.. and these can be had for much less, but you need the hookups. You also pay a lot less for older processes.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 10:20:51 PM

Is it possible to have an FPGA or ASIC board that runs independantly from a computer but has flash memory onboard,built in Wi-fi or Ethernet,and has it's own power supply as I wish to bypass the computer competely and save loads of energy while mining lots more.How much would these boards cost and for what performance/power use can I expect from them? Can yiu ship to UK? Do you have a shop?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
TeraMiner

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 12:51:50 AM

You guys might want to take a look at a new thread I started regarding a design that we're looking to sell. We think it is a very competitive offering but we don't have the time or energy to take this to market. Check out the highlights here and let me know what you think of the performance, power and cost numbers.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44391.0

eldentyrell_old

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 01:52:40 AM

(rough estimate please)

You can get a design into a shared wafer for as little as $25,000. In some countries there are academic fabs that make chips for student projects, etc.. and these can be had for much less, but you need the hookups. You also pay a lot less for older processes.

FWIW I haven't been able to get a quote under $70,000 out of MOSIS, which handles the majority of academic chip fabbing.

Usually "the hookups" equals "fab has been hiring our lab's graduate students for a decade now and wants to keep the supply steady".  In which case there's actually more remuneration going on above and beyond dollars changing hands.
ttul

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:20:58 AM

(rough estimate please)

FWIW I haven't been able to get a quote under $70,000 out of MOSIS, which handles the majority of academic chip fabbing.

Usually "the hookups" equals "fab has been hiring our lab's graduate students for a decade now and wants to keep the supply steady".  In which case there's actually more remuneration going on above and beyond dollars changing hands.

We've obviously looked at this a great deal at LargeCoin. The cost of fabbing a profitable Bitcoin ASIC is $500,000. This is the cost when you use a structure ASIC solution, and there isn't any way to get it below $500,000 - believe me, we have tried.

Structured ASIC processes definitely remove a lot of the complexity of ASIC fabrication versus standard cell or full custom processes. However, you are still dealing with the fabrication of an immensely complex integrated circuit with millions of tiny little wires in it. Getting the design right so that the first batch works means spending lots of money on sophisticated software and engineering talent - and that's just not cheap.

If you want to run off a few chips in an academic process, by all means go for it. That's a great hobby level activity. However, we found through our extensive analysis that nothing short of a structured ASIC process can give you the scale and volume that you need to generate enough money from your efforts to be well compensated for the investment.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 01:00:46 AM

We've obviously looked at this a great deal at LargeCoin. The cost of fabbing a profitable Bitcoin ASIC is $500,000. This is the cost when you use a structure ASIC solution, and there isn't any way to get it below $500,000 - believe me, we have tried.

Structured ASIC processes definitely remove a lot of the complexity of ASIC fabrication versus standard cell or full custom processes. However, you are still dealing with the fabrication of an immensely complex integrated circuit with millions of tiny little wires in it. Getting the design right so that the first batch works means spending lots of money on sophisticated software and engineering talent - and that's just not cheap.

If you want to run off a few chips in an academic process, by all means go for it. That's a great hobby level activity. However, we found through our extensive analysis that nothing short of a structured ASIC process can give you the scale and volume that you need to generate enough money from your efforts to be well compensated for the investment.

Are there any news regarding the progress of your product?
ttul

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 01:05:25 AM

Are there any news regarding the progress of your product?

Hard at work is all I can report.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 01:07:30 AM

I see... Good news then Wink Good luck!
ttul

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 01:15:27 AM

I see... Good news then Wink Good luck!

Thanks. Sorry we've been so quiet. I'm glad to see that Bitcoin has turned the corner after the summers' scathing press coverage etc. The mainstream seems to be picking up on the actual utility of it, which is nice.
Intention

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 04:10:51 AM

I'm actually curious about FPGA's is there like a list of component/design files floating around that anyone knows of?  I'd like to read more into it and maybe construct my own since I have access to a pcb mill and soldering tools.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 04:31:34 AM

Currently, the Xilinx Spartan 6 LX-150 is the most common FPGA used for bitcoin mining.  GITHUB has an open source FPGA Miner for this chip, and ztex.de does as well.

Unfortunately, you won't be making a PCB for the LX-150 on a mill.  It's a 484 pin BGA.  It pretty much demands a MINIMUM 4 layer PCB because of the split power needs (3.3V and 1.2V) and ground.

Enigma
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 05:44:43 AM

I'd be willing to finance engineers to build a solution then I will resell it,
but first i need to know what to tell them?

Can we use this board?
http://www.knjn.com/FPGA-PCIe.html

I have one of these for sale if anyone is interested.  Brand new, never used.  PM if interested.  I just never got around to that project.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Intention

Activity: 128

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 06:09:27 AM

Currently, the Xilinx Spartan 6 LX-150 is the most common FPGA used for bitcoin mining.  GITHUB has an open source FPGA Miner for this chip, and ztex.de does as well.

Unfortunately, you won't be making a PCB for the LX-150 on a mill.  It's a 484 pin BGA.  It pretty much demands a MINIMUM 4 layer PCB because of the split power needs (3.3V and 1.2V) and ground.

Enigma
Thanks for the heads up, I was just curious as to the process and what not my background is Comp Sci, not so much Comp/Electrical Eng so I don't know much about FPGA's.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 10:33:04 AM

Enigma
Thanks for the heads up, I was just curious as to the process and what not my background is Comp Sci, not so much Comp/Electrical Eng so I don't know much about FPGA's.

I hope that at some point in 2012, I can come back and reread this post and understand what all of these words/letters/numbers mean, haha.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: