Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:24:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama's Net Neutrality Statement: What it Really Means  (Read 7009 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:48:22 AM

Obama's Net Neutrality Statement: What it Really Means

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/obama-net-neutrality-statement-meaning,news-19895.html

<< After years of general statements encouraging net neutrality - the idea that Internet service providers (ISPs) should treat all Internet traffic equally - President Barack Obama today (Nov. 10) came out definitively in favor of the cause, in both written and video statements. Is this a toothless pronunciation by a second-term president whose party just lost control of the Senate? Or does he have solid legal rationale and authority to back up what he said? It may be a little of both. >>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:56:45 AM

Obama calls on FCC to make "strongest possible rules" to protect net neutrality

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/10/obama-strongest-rules-protect-net-neutrality

<< President says "open internet is essential to way of life" and comes out against so-called "fast lanes" for higher-paying web users. >>

Cable companies "stunned" by Obama's "extreme" net neutrality proposals

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/10/cable-companies-obama-net-neutrality-proposals-fcc-fight

<< Major telecoms, lobbyist groups and politicians sharply respond to president's call for greater regulation of internet as utility. >>
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:03:29 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2014, 08:19:22 AM by freedomno1

Senses a trap from Obama

If it's anything like Harpers China position the second they get full control they will do a 360 on the issue although its possible that Obama does have good intentions and would do it, we can't guarantee his successor would share the same mindset.

The prime minister acknowledged the Canada-China relationship has been tense at times. In 2006, Harper vowed not to sell out to what he called the "almighty dollar" in China.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stephen-harper-raises-human-rights-concerns-with-chinese-president-xi-jinping-1.2829146

“Once ratified, the Canada-China Investment Agreement will bind Canada, including future governments, for a minimum of 31 years. Unlike NAFTA, with an exit clause of 6 months’ notice, this agreement, also called a FIPA (Foreign Investor Protection Agreement) cannot be exited for the first 15 years. After 15 years, either country can exit on one year’s notice, but any existing investments are further protected for another 15 years. Despite some claims by other politicians that the treaty could be voided by a future government, that is not the case.”

“The only way to exit the treaty would be through negotiations with China in which the government in Beijing agrees. Unilateral withdrawal would trigger a multi-billion dollar claim by the Peoples Republic of China against Canada, with damages open to collection in one hundred countries around the world.

http://elizabethmaymp.ca/news/publications/press-releases/2014/09/12/harper-sell-out-to-china-will-be-locked-in-elizabeth-may/

___
That said the threat of a specter for privacy and protection of the internet is a weapon that can be used against Obama if he wins
Since he will be held accountable by the people on these type of issues and to keep the Republicans in check currently
So its good news in my opinion that he made it a policy mandate.

On the other hand Irish

At least it's not a Ted Cruz XDDDD

(Kind of Afraid that if one party in the USA has full control of all the houses net neutrality is doomed)
When its in conflict they can't push a position through.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/10/hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah-ted-cruz-you-silly-senator/
___

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz

A quote from Senator Ted Cruz

Quote from: TedCruz
"Net Neutrality" is Obamacare for the Internet; the Internet should not operate at the speed of government.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:34:58 AM

"We're from the government and we're here to help."

Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 05:46:43 PM

It means that he is just trying to get public on his side, as he has always done in the past by saying one thing and doing the exact opposite. Americans lost many privileges in this decade and never objected, I hope they will stand up at least for the Internet.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:01:48 PM

It means that he is just trying to get public on his side, as he has always done in the past by saying one thing and doing the exact opposite. Americans lost many privileges in this decade and never objected, I hope they will stand up at least for the Internet.
It seems like every other time they've tried to put a leash on the internet the people have always stood up to a certain extent and stopped them in their tracks. However, that was going through Congress but considering this guy thinks he's a king and can do whatever he wants, there's really no telling how much he'll get his way considering he's probably offended by how bad some Americans think of him and his ideology via the latest ballot box contests.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:14:15 PM

It seems like every other time they've tried to put a leash on the internet the people have always stood up to a certain extent and stopped them in their tracks. However, that was going through Congress but considering this guy thinks he's a king and can do whatever he wants, there's really no telling how much he'll get his way considering he's probably offended by how bad some Americans think of him and his ideology via the latest ballot box contests.

We can trust him with our Internet when he trusts us with our Guns, lol...
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:22:11 PM

If he fails on this the internet as you know it is dead. This is the freedom fight of our lives and hardly anyone understands why.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:26:29 PM

LOL its simple ppl will just setup servers outside of US... US will slowly decapitate itself.. real growth is linked to the internet.. next tech wave is probably blockchain related.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:30:13 PM

If he fails on this the internet as you know it is dead. This is the freedom fight of our lives and hardly anyone understands why.

Showing today...

Obamacare for the Internet!

And next showing...

Obamacare for Bitcoin!
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:18:28 PM

Wait, so are you saying that if he does not get his way that the internet as we know it will die and our freedoms will be gone? You think that having the government regulate (control) the internet is going to save us? Kinda like how the Chinese, Iranian and North Korean governments are ensuring a protected internet for its citizens by controlling their access? All this will do is open the door for the government to be able to collect private data on citizens without having to get a search warrant first. Of course Obama is talking this up like he is doing us all a favor and that it's a good thing. And all the blind sheep are eating this deception up like Halloween candy.
Obama: "All of your internets are belong to us!"

username18333

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 08:31:44 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2014, 08:44:33 PM by username18333

Wait, so are you saying that if he does not get his way that the internet as we know it will die and our freedoms will be gone? You think that having the government regulate (control) the internet is going to save us? Kinda like how the Chinese, Iranian and North Korean governments are ensuring a protected internet for its citizens by controlling their access? All this will do is open the door for the government to be able to collect private data on citizens without having to get a search warrant first. Of course Obama is talking this up like he is doing us all a favor and that it's a good thing. And all the blind sheep are eating this deception up like Halloween candy.

“Controlling their access” is contrary to “net neutrality” (i.e., refraining from imposing content‐specific constraints upon internet navigation).

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
username18333

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 08:34:28 PM

"We're from the government and we're here to help."

“We’re from the [plutocracy/oligarchy/aristocracy], and we’re here to help.”

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:37:28 PM

It's not the gov controlling the internet, it's keeping business from controlling it.
It would mean the loss of net neutrality. What you see on the internet could be whatever your ISP decides. Let's say your ISP is Charter.com. They have a service called charter on demand. Well, they won't want you watching free videos or using some other service so they could throttle back your bandwith except for their movie service. They could also make it very hard to visit a site that does not make them money. Search for how to fix your car and you are directed to a car dealership that has paid charter to get you.

Loss of net neutrality is probably the greatest threat to bitcoin as well. It really would be possible and maybe even profitable to block access to bitcoin. The days of going where you want on the net would be over you will see what is most profitable for your ISP. And the dark web? Why would your ISP let you see that? In fact if your ISP was religiously oriented why would they allow you to see anything that is not Godly? It is really up to them not you.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
stevegreer
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:40:21 PM

"Controlling their access" is contrary to "net neutrality" (i.e., not imposing content specific constraints upon internet navigation).

One thing leads to another. This is just a foot in the door for the ultimate goal of the government controlling access to the internet. Here are two quotes from the following article:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/10/cable-companies-obama-net-neutrality-proposals-fcc-fight

The cable and telcoms giants are particularly concerned by Obama’s call for FCC to reclassify consumer broadband service under Title II of the Telecommunications Act. Such a move would reclassify consumer internet as a “common carrier” service – like the telephone – and give the regulator greater power to control prices and services.

Obama’s endorsement “of 1930s era Title II classification would lead to unprecedented government interference in the internet, and would hurt consumers and innovation,” said lobby group Broadband for America.

stevegreer
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:44:58 PM

It's not the gov controlling the internet, it's keeping business from controlling it.
It would mean the loss of net neutrality. What you see on the internet could be whatever your ISP decides. Let's say your ISP is Charter.com. They have a service called charter on demand. Well, they won't want you watching free videos or using some other service so they could throttle back your bandwith except for their movie service. They could also make it very hard to visit a site that does not make them money. Search for how to fix your car and you are directed to a car dealership that has paid charter to get you.

Loss of net neutrality is probably the greatest threat to bitcoin as well. It really would be possible and maybe even profitable to block access to bitcoin. The days of going where you want on the net would be over you will see what is most profitable for your ISP. And the dark web? Why would your ISP let you see that? In fact if your ISP was religiously oriented why would they allow you to see anything that is not Godly? It is really up to them not you.  

Ok, I see where you are coming from. But what I don't see is where in the U.S. this is currently taking place or when any of the ISPs have ever stated that they want to control what its users have access to. The only real issue I have with ISPs here in the U.S. is the fact that they are charging so much for for a fraction of the bandwidth that many other countries are getting. I think if the conversations between the government and the ISPs were to focus more on that issue, then it would have my support. I still feel though that the ulterior motive here is for the government to have an open door, warrantless access to our private data.

username18333

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 08:45:58 PM

“Controlling their access” is contrary to “net neutrality” (i.e., refraining from imposing content‐specific constraints upon internet navigation).

One thing leads to another. This is just a foot in the door for the ultimate goal of the government controlling access to the internet. Here are two quotes from the following article:

The cable and telcoms giants are particularly concerned by Obama’s call for FCC to reclassify consumer broadband service under Title II of the Telecommunications Act. Such a move would reclassify consumer internet as a “common carrier” service – like the telephone – and give the regulator greater power to control prices and services.

Obama’s endorsement “of 1930s era Title II classification would lead to unprecedented government interference in the internet, and would hurt consumers and innovation,” said lobby group Broadband for America.

Government is, itself, a proverbial “foot in the door.”

BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:52:19 PM

This is the freedom fight of our lives and hardly anyone understands why.

You seem so passionate, I don't understand why? Could you please explain me more? A lose attempts to fight deflation in the tech industry by the cartels? I mean scam us ISP, so others methods will be found, and then you will die off, like Kodak. For me it's just an attempt by the ISP to extort more money by colluding and not wanting to invest in the infrastructure to compete in the marketplace by for example guaranteeing low latency or full continuous capacity. I don't want to block an ISP to provide a cheap absolutely QoSed (multitiers), high latency, 0 guaranteed capacity or what ever service... but I find it soo stupid to use such an ISP. I hate QoS (who the f are you to tell me that what I transmit is of low priority), then again I hate non stable band weight (what the fuck I paid for X up and down, I don't care if you can't make it continuous, what ever your excuse, bye), furthermore I think Deep packet inspection always leads to packet sniffers and stupidly increase latency, and finally I find that latency sucks, but physics is, and that only the speed of light (or what ever quantic method) shall limit my latency, and not a stupid isp or backbone provider or what ever that didn't upgrade his lines or machines and uses queuing during spikes to cheat everyone he contracted with. But more than that I prefer this vision :
"Open Internet
The idea of an open Internet is the idea that the full resources of the Internet and means to operate on it are easily accessible to all individuals and companies. This often includes ideas such as net neutrality, open standards, transparency, lack of Internet censorship, and low barriers to entry. The concept of the open Internet is sometimes expressed as an expectation of decentralized technological power, and is seen by some as closely related to open-source software."
than this:
"A "closed Internet" refers to the opposite situation, in which established corporations or governments favor certain uses. A closed Internet may have restricted access to necessary web standards, artificially degrade some services, or explicitly filter out content."

And I think that net-neutrality simply mean that each packet is born equal to all others packets, and that only FIFO shall rules in all gateway and that the wideness of the gateway is continuously provided. I understand the financial gain that could be made in killing net neutrality, but they seems in my view very short sighted. As such I don't understand those that want to kill the idea that each packet is born equal, or those that want to change the status quo on this complex subject. I like the idea of peers on the internet each equal to have depending on the bw the same right as I do, and I think Net neutrality is necessary for peer to peer. And I don't like to have to read for each thing I do or contract 300 pages or more just to know that I need to read 3000 more to have a chance to understand anything... Open Law next goal?

money is faster...
username18333

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 08:54:47 PM

This is the freedom fight of our lives and hardly anyone understands why.

You seem so passionate, I don't understand why? Could you please explain me more? A lose attempts to fight deflation in the tech industry by the cartels? I mean scam us ISP, so others methods will be found, and then you will die off, like Kodak. For me it's just an attempt by the ISP to extort more money by colluding and not wanting to invest in the infrastructure to compete in the marketplace by for example guaranteeing low latency or full continuous capacity. I don't want to block an ISP to provide a cheap absolutely QoSed (multitiers), high latency, 0 guaranteed capacity or what ever service... but I find it soo stupid to use such an ISP. I hate QoS (who the f are you to tell me that what I transmit is of low priority), then again I hate non stable band weight (what the fuck I paid for X up and down, I don't care if you can't make it continuous, what ever your excuse, bye), furthermore I think Deep packet inspection always leads to packet sniffers and stupidly increase latency, and finally I find that latency sucks, but physics is, and that only the speed of light (or what ever quantic method) shall limit my latency, and not a stupid isp or backbone provider or what ever that didn't upgrade his lines or machines and use queuing during spikes to cheat everyone he contracted with. But more than that I prefer this vision :
"Open Internet
The idea of an open Internet is the idea that the full resources of the Internet and means to operate on it are easily accessible to all individuals and companies. This often includes ideas such as net neutrality, open standards, transparency, lack of Internet censorship, and low barriers to entry. The concept of the open Internet is sometimes expressed as an expectation of decentralized technological power, and is seen by some as closely related to open-source software."
than this:
"A "closed Internet" refers to the opposite situation, in which established corporations or governments favor certain uses. A closed Internet may have restricted access to necessary web standards, artificially degrade some services, or explicitly filter out content."

And I think that net-neutrality simply mean that each packet is born equal to all others packets, and that only FIFO shall rules in all gateway and that the wideness of the gateway is continuously provided. I understand the financial gain that could be made in killing net neutrality, but they seems in my view very short sighted. As such I don't understand those that want to kill the idea that each packet is born equal, or those that want to change the status quo on this complex subject. I like the idea of peers on the internet each equal to have depending on the bw the same right as I do, and I think Net neutrality is necessary for peer to peer. And I don't like to have to read for each thing I do or contract 300 pages or more just to know that I need to read 3000 more to have a chance to understand anything... Open Law next goal?

Leviathan is “responsible” to his subjects. Pluto is not.

BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 09:04:47 PM

Leviathan being the gov ? and what is Pluto? What does it mean "responsible"? And what is a subject of Leviathan?

I am so lost  Huh Roll Eyes

money is faster...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: