Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:06:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin is Thriving  (Read 2030 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:40:11 PM

Lets try the other way round. You said that you feel litecoin reached bottom. Can you explain why?

Is there any serious development going on regarding the coin itself or merchant acceptance?

For me, there are many coins with more features, many with faster transfers and many with faster development speed.
How will litecoin compete with them? Some weeks from now and hashcoin will be out, its very likely that hashcoin has a much higher market-cap than litecoin from the start.
It will almost certainly have higher merchant adoption as well. This will drive litecoin price further down i think and it will have to struggle to keep in top 5 coins next year.

Nice approach.
Re the development. What I can say is that the community are devoted to making this work long term. I know that the creator is doing all he can to get adoption with some top companies. (Coinbase)
The community themselves have always been trying to increase adoption. The community is very active and with the recent merge with Dogecoin mining, I feel that we've gained quite a bit more support. Some say LTC saved DOGE. Who knows?

Re the technology. Yes you can say it's slightly outdated as new alts are constantly working on existing protocol. Can it be fixed? Maybe. Again, who knows?

However, you can argue exactly the same with BTC. It's old technology but the adoption is high and constantly increasing. New people to crypto hear about BTC way before something like Hashcoin. I heard about BTC and following that heard all about LTC. BTC has had lots of coverage as well as adoption and although LTC isn't comparable in scale, it's been making its own progress (more than most others alts I've heard of).

There's plenty more. These are just my initial thoughts. I'll keep posting when I have time.

Anyway, more about this Hashcoin. What's so innovative? I agree immediate confirmations is quite cool, but the same argument follows. Something newer and better will come out than Hashcoin in a few months. Then what's to say Hashcoin will succeed? It's the same argument as technology evolves...

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:10:08 PM

Hashrate is up - CHECK
Price is relatively stable - CHECK
Forum community is growing - CHECK
Halving coming up in the next 10-11 months - CHECK
Still garnering support as an alt coin after over 3 years - CHECK
ASICs been/being developed for scrypt - CHECK

I'd say it is thriving very quietly as price isn't everything.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bansheroom

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:26:55 PM

Hashrate is up - CHECK

Hashrate - agree
Price is 90% down from ATH - this far away from stable, get real
Community is growing - but slower compared to others (dark, bitshares, counterparty...)
Halving  - did not change anything positive for a coin so far (remember doge halving?)
Long time support - agree
ASICs developed for scrypt - there are many scrypt coins

Always get cryptonews, free bitcoins, free altcoins and free mining opportunities: follow @Bansheroom on Twitter
paduser

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 09:06:52 PM

I hope so. A little bit up for litecoin would be nice for everyone that hold his coins for a longer period.

Maybe they need some new inventions to push the coin to new peoples.
bibbit

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 12:28:33 AM

I like the idea of retrofitting it to work with the current CC system, but I am concerned about pegging it to the dollar.

If Litecoin holders were trading inside of Ripple instead of on centralized exchanges, they would gain the ability to make purchases with their Litecoin at any merchant that accepts Visa (web or brick and mortar stores). There are roughly five Ripple debit card initiatives and the best of them convert your chosen assets at the instant of purchase, so you can trade and hold at your leisure, but spend instantly as well (Shift Payments, SmartyCash, xapo, eSpend and tide payments).

Don't look at Hashcoin's CC integration with envy. Keep your value in Litecoin, but reap the benefits of Ripple's ability to federate payment systems.
cryptogeeknext

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Bitcoin trolls back

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 01:37:21 AM
Last edit: November 13, 2014, 08:24:52 PM by cryptogeeknext

The best innovation that Litecoin offers compared to other alts is paradoxically the lack of it, which leads to stability and predictability - one of the most important characteristics of any money system.

I like the fact that Litecoin stays with 0.8.x code base (plus important patches on top), as it takes conservative approach for its development and security model (don't fix if ain't broken) - again more stable, predictable and robust network.

Also keep in mind Litecoin's 4x higher speed and capacity for transaction processing without needing a hard fork in the near future (or at all) and if it comes to a hard fork, Litecoin can always learn from Bitcoin's experience, prepare in advance and improve on it.

Later start of Litecoin contributed to a more even distribution of coins among market participants and its current high inflation rate means that this process is still ongoing, resulting in somewhat depressed price and thus reducing barriers to entry. No quick pump and dump here...

Add to it amicable name and a tribute to Steeve Jobs encoded in Litecoin's genesis block and you get all it takes to be a success. Litecoin's current trading-volume / market-cap ratio reflects just that.

there is an element of everything in every thing
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:28:43 AM

What going on in this thread....... Wink.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Sweetrevenge

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 06:17:41 AM

How many litecoins are you expected to mine when you are mining at a constant 500 kh/s? A year ago I was consistently pulling 1 litecoin per month, but now I've been mining for over 2 months and I've only accrued one half of a litecoin. Has the difficulty raised that much? The site The pool I'm using is http://litecoin.miningpoolhub.com.
darthcoin

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 09:18:04 AM

Make up your minds fellas. Is Litecoin dead or thriving? I've seen a thread for each one.
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 10:01:24 AM

Make up your minds fellas. Is Litecoin dead or thriving? I've seen a thread for each one.

I guess it depends on who you ask Smiley
TheCloser

Activity: 98

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 01:55:36 PM

Hashrate is up - CHECK

Hashrate - agree
Price is 90% down from ATH - this far away from stable, get real
Community is growing - but slower compared to others (dark, bitshares, counterparty...)
Halving  - did not change anything positive for a coin so far (remember doge halving?)
Long time support - agree
ASICs developed for scrypt - there are many scrypt coins

There are many scrypt coins that can be mined by ASICs but honestly, 50% of scrypt ASICs are going at litecoin while the other 50% are mining others scrypt alts as a hedge. It's all about equilibrium. I was mining noblecoin 8 months ago with my ASIC and converting to litecoin because I could gain 15% litecoin by converting as opposed to mining litecoin straight up.

Staying power is everything. Litecoin is purely a value purchase at this point given the current alt market
chicken65

Activity: 770
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 02:29:08 PM

litecoin never ceases to amaze me.
Ive never even bought any once  Roll Eyes

Maybe I should change that.
moiraine

Activity: 79

View Profile