Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:00:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Changetip and why it is the killer app that BTC needed  (Read 2907 times)
X7 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:26:19 PM

http://thebitcoinmovement.com/changetip-charity-app-killer-app-btc-needed/
Some light reading for you guys, enjoy!

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
BorderBits

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:34:49 PM

/tip $.0001
X7 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:36:50 PM

I am giving away free bits on the reddit thread.
Spread the love guys!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2lzsdy/why_changetip_is_the_killer_app_bitcoin_has_been/

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
nor9865

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

If you think you know me.. Think again

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:39:42 PM

/tip $.0001

I wish this would work with this forum, it would be useful but a lot of spam messages saying "tip has been sent and claimed by userxxx" would be seen.

Is there an extension that does it all offline but still responds to posts such as: /tip $.0001?
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:56:41 PM

Changetip is the quickest way possible to go from not knowing what bitcoin is to owning some.  This happens within seconds.  Once you own something motivation to learn what it is is far greater vs not owning.
X7 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:04:28 PM

Changetip is the quickest way possible to go from not knowing what bitcoin is to owning some.  This happens within seconds.  Once you own something motivation to learn what it is is far greater vs not owning.
exactly! and people see how fast and easy it is to send

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:05:10 PM

/tip $.0001

I wish this would work with this forum, it would be useful but a lot of spam messages saying "tip has been sent and claimed by userxxx" would be seen.

Is there an extension that does it all offline but still responds to posts such as: /tip $.0001?

you dont need the response. You don't even need the message "/tip $.0001" to stay on the forum.
There could be a bot parsing the forum for tips and whenever he finds something like "/tip $.0001" he transfers BTC from the guy that wanted to tip to the tipped guy, then deleting the post or the "/tip $.0001" part of the post (in case the "/tip $.0001" part is not the only part of the post).
The fact that the tip has been sent will be observable by looking at ones balance.
nor9865

Activity: 700

If you think you know me.. Think again

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:08:17 PM

/tip $.0001

you dont need the response. You don't even need the message "/tip $.0001" to stay on the forum.
There could be a bot parsing the forum for tips and whenever he finds something like "/tip $.0001" he transfers BTC from the guy that wanted to tip to the tipped guy, then deleting the post or the "/tip $.0001" part of the post (in case the "/tip $.0001" part is not the only part of the post).
The fact that the tip has been sent will be observable by looking at ones balance.

Ah that could work yes. Only problem is the mass of posts saying: "/tip $.0001" everywhere.

A solution would be to have a little tip user button below all users' avatars. Click on it and a like box opens where you just clicked, type a tip amount (minimum $0.5 maybe?) hit enter and bingo, tip sent!
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:12:47 PM

There are a lot of threads on changetip (e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=850767.msg9477687#msg9477687) and it is a good use for bitcoin.  The more places you can use it the better.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:25:55 PM

They are expanding it to YouTube now, and Facebook is in the works.  You'll be able to tip someone on their comment on facebook soon.  That is huge.  Unless facebook finds a way to stop it.  These services might not want people making money off of them?  Wait until human greed gets in the way.

Disqus, Yelp, and several other services are on their radar too.  Exciting times.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:46:29 PM

Changetip is a cool thing and it spreads Bitcoin for sure, but i don't think it is the killer app.

What is limiting the effect of changetip is that we see a huge number of very small tips that are barely worth to be collected (by today's valuation). Also many tips are given out without a significant contribution and without interest by the receiver - so without some "work done" for Bitcoins they might be considered worthless.
Of course there is some positive effect, but it's smaller than people think.

I think the real killer app would be a physical bitcoin wallet device that can be used for all kinds of  bitcoin transactions easily without any requirement for setup or technical knowledge. As cheap and simple as a credit card, but with added functionality (sending money from the device to anywhere in the world).

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 09:40:32 PM

Ah that could work yes. Only problem is the mass of posts saying: "/tip $.0001" everywhere.

A solution would be to have a little tip user button below all users' avatars. Click on it and a like box opens where you just clicked, type a tip amount (minimum $0.5 maybe?) hit enter and bingo, tip sent!

Changetip already has a little button that can be used:

I would think it would be easy enough to set up, but you may need to have an account with changetip to get the code, and I don't know how it would fit into this forum's rules, since I could see it going in the signature spot normally... but I don't know how it would work with the forum rules of signatures right now.
FUR11

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 09:42:48 PM

It comes down to an increased adoption, if you ask me. People just need to hear about Bitcoin. Some people will need to hear about it for a multiple amount of times, before they take their time and actually take a look at it. By using changetip, we can account for the first few of those times!

DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 3160

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 10:44:04 PM

Is that site not displaying correctly for me, or is it supposed to be light grey text on a white background?  If that's how it's meant to look then it needs rethinking.  Not the easiest thing to read.

Normally I try to avoid installing Facebook apps, but I don't seem to be having a great deal of luck in getting people involved with Bitcoin so far, so might try this as a last resort.  Although it kind of goes against the main idea behind Bitcoin, in that it shouldn't need a third party to handle transactions for you.

X7 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 11:23:19 PM

If you want some bits to spread around - Just ask http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2lzsdy/why_changetip_is_the_killer_app_bitcoin_has_been/  Cheesy

ScreamnShout

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 07:44:48 AM

They are expanding it to YouTube now, and Facebook is in the works.  You'll be able to tip someone on their comment on facebook soon.  That is huge.  Unless facebook finds a way to stop it.  These services might not want people making money off of them?  Wait until human greed gets in the way.

Disqus, Yelp, and several other services are on their radar too.  Exciting times.

-B-
I don't see why facebook and/or youtube would ever want to stop it. However I also don't see why anyone would ever "tip" on either of those platforms, especially facebook when you almost always should be only interacting with people you know in RL
TinaK

Activity: 1106
Merit: 527

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:35:02 AM

/tip $.0001

but this forum program is too old, it is

I have been to see it on reddit, but I haven't used changetip, I will take a try   Cheesy
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 01:02:00 PM

Changetip is a cool thing and it spreads Bitcoin for sure, but i don't think it is the killer app.
 barely worth to be collected (by today's valuation).

its called setting up the infrastructure now, so that when the value increases, then changetip is already in a position to be effective.

for instance, gavin andressin set up a bitcoin faucet giving out 1btc to each user in 2010, many thought that it was pointless because people can make much more mining each day so although at the time no one seen the benefit financially (that day's valuation) hindsight shows that faucets are part of the economy and aswell as introducing people to bitcoin to atleast make one transaction, even holding onto the value for a long term is worth it. after all its free

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
RobertDJ

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 11:19:51 PM

barely worth to be collected (by today's valuation).

its called setting up the infrastructure now, so that when the value increases, then changetip is already in a position to be effective.

for instance, gavin andressin set up a bitcoin faucet giving out 1btc to each user in 2010, many thought that it was pointless because people can make much more mining each day so although at the time no one seen the benefit financially (that day's valuation) hindsight shows that faucets are part of the economy and aswell as introducing people to bitcoin to atleast make one transaction, even holding onto the value for a long term is worth it. after all its free
I don't think the value of the tips will matter very much to users. The point of gavin's faucet was to educate people about bitcoin and give them a way to "play around" with it before mining and/or buying some on gox (the only exchange back then).

Changetip does a similar thing however the people giving the bitcoin away are not receiving any meaningful benefit as a result of their tipping because they generally are not heavily invested in Bitcoin's success 
X7 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 11:31:02 PM

I have personally explained bitcoin to over 200 new users due to sending 100 - 500 bits at a time for a period of over 48 hours to anyone who asked. Of that 200 A LOT have literally thanked me and gotten SUPER excited about bitcoin and the possibilities of it.

You under estimate the power of giving my friend Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: