Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:33:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-06-04 afr.com - Banks get ready for virtual cash  (Read 1448 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:12:22 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2012, 02:51:20 AM by julz

Australian Financial Review

Banks get ready for virtual cash

DAVID RAMLI AND RUTH LIEW
2012-06-04

http://afr.com/p/technology/banks_get_ready_for_virtual_cash_I7LI6KZ7wx9TXNwUKWuc9I

Where traditional currencies such as the Australian dollar are guaranteed by governments, virtual currencies such as BitCoin often have no central organising groups or value.

But despite the risks, usage is rising.

Yes it's a duplicate posting, but I don't consider posting a redirecting spamvertising URL to be a proper article report. Mods can decide which thread to delete.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:57:37 AM

He said regulators such as the RBA and the US Federal Reserve had to think of new ways to tax and manage virtual currencies as it became a valuable global commodity.

The Federal Reserve is responsible for ensuring that a competing monetary system can be taxed?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:07:03 AM

He said regulators such as the RBA and the US Federal Reserve had to think of new ways to tax and manage virtual currencies as it became a valuable global commodity.

The Federal Reserve is responsible for ensuring that a competing monetary system can be taxed?
Yeah I had to giggle at that a little bit.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:55:34 AM

City Index FX strategist Kara Ordway said virtual money could easily be a tradeable commodity not unlike the Australian or US dollar, once market demand and supply was established.

It's not already being traded or theres no supply or demand already?

Not at levels where liquidity is sufficient.  A few hours ago there was a ~100K USD buy (~20K BTC) and the price rose 2%.  Imagine what a $1 million USD buy would do.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 05:34:10 PM

“We have a planning assumption that virtual currencies will become mainstream in three to five years,” Mr Davis said. “One of the reasons why we need to reach a view two to four years out is to influence our decisions around enterprise architecture, because it doesn’t change very often.

This is the crux of the article. A bank needs to start planning now to be able to trade Bitcoin and provide Bitcoin services to its customers in 3 - 5 years when Bitcoin becomes mainstream.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:21:13 PM

Though the article does mention bitcoin, I wonder if bitcoin is really among the virtual currencies these banking folks have in mind in their planning.  I haven't seen any evidence to suggest it is, and I still think bitcoin is too small for them to really care about.  The "bitcoin" mention looks more like the author tossing out what he thinks is an example.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:23:58 PM

Though the article does mention bitcoin, I wonder if bitcoin is really among the virtual currencies these banking folks have in mind in their planning.  I haven't seen any evidence to suggest it is, and I still think bitcoin is too small for them to really care about.  The "bitcoin" mention looks more like the author tossing out what he thinks is an example.

I wonder too. Investors and banks are looking where the masses of eyeballs are. They'll be gearing up to deal with the 'virtual currencies' of things like facebook, WoW etc - but I think something P2P and not driven/owned by a single corporation is still going to be a bit of a surprise for them in that it requires a heck of a lot more understanding than just striking a deal with a few major stakeholders and linking up a database or two.  They may have heard of Bitcoin - but I'm not convinced they understand the difference... or perhaps they do, and it's not just too small, but all too hard in comparison.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: