Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:41:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Boost your account security thanks to Mt.Gox's new Security Center!!!  (Read 2705 times)
Mt.Gox Support (OP)
VIP

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:49:29 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2012, 05:25:31 AM by Mt.Gox Support

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20120605.html

TOKYO - JAPAN - June 5, 2012 - In our continuous effort to secure our users' Mt.Gox experience we are proud to announce our new Security Center where from one page you will be able to create your own security rules to match your needs.

Mt.Gox first introduced two factor authentication into its service with the YubiKey, a unique approach to security where people had to physically connect a device to their computer to safely and securely access to their account.

Today however we pushed the overall security experience further with the integration of our new Security Center that will allow our users to utilize a software-based two factor authentication system along with our existing YubiKey hardware solution.

Incorporating Google Authenticator, our new Security Center will allow anyone that installed this free software on their iPhone or Android device to quickly create rules on their Mt.Gox account to add another layer of security and flexibility.

From there you will be able to add one or more YubiKey or Google Authenticator OTPs to your account. To do so simply follow the on screen instructions to add your first authentication system.

Once done, just drag and drop your newly created security system to one of Mt.Gox’s three access control panels including : “Log In”, “Withdrawal” and “Security Center”

In our actual setup, one person could for example create rules that limit certain behavior on their account depending on which device is used to login to their account. We could imagine here that whenever you accessing your account with Google Authenticator with a smart phone you will have the ability to access to very basics features of your account whereas your home computer along with Google Authenticator or a Yubikey could in the other hand give you full control of your account.

Another example would be for verified corporate account holders to give certain staff basic access to the company Mt.Gox account to check vital sales data including payments details and orders while leaving the full control of deposit and withdrawals to the Company Owners or accountants.
We hope that our users will take advantage of this new Security Center and Google Authenticator to secure their accounts. With this new feature we have the opportunity to put an end to the phishing and hacking endemic "pandemic" which has plagued Bitcoin since its inception.

Regards,
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Media Contacts
press@mtgox.com

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:24:57 AM

With this new feature we have the opportunity to put an end to the phishing and hacking endemic which has plagued Bitcoin since its inception.

'endemic' is usually used as an adjective to mean 'restricted or peculiar to a locality or region '

Unless you specifically mean to imply that phishing and hacking are phenomena which are peculiar to the Bitcoin ecosystem, this is an unfortunate wording.
Heck.. it's unfortunate even if you do mean that.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Lumpy

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:44:54 AM

I think the word should be epidemic.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 01:42:02 PM

Hey it's about time this happened. I hope everyone starts using it, although I kind of doubt that they will.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 01:45:37 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2012, 02:02:03 PM by TangibleCryptography

Google Auth.  Sweet.  I will be enabling NOW.

On edit a couple of suggestions:
The terms "security center" and "extra security" are used interchangeably.  Seems like you need a name change and didn't update all the text?

When adding a Google Auth the term "secret" isn't exactly clear.  Something like "confirm current authentication code" or some kind of popup or info tag might help.  Or maybe I am just stupid without my morning coffee.

A well deserved Thank you for enabling a universal solution.  I have no need or desire to use yubikey as it is a single site solution.  Worse I usually access bitcoin exchange via remote desktop session which doesn't play nice with yubikey.  Google Auth allows me cellphone to authenticate multiple sites and it is always with me and it is itself protected by a strong login.

Lastly I love the idea of only "locking down" withdrawals.  Awesome idea.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:06:55 PM

A well deserved Thank you for enabling a universal solution.  Google Auth allows me cellphone to authenticate multiple sites and it is always with me and it is itself protected by a strong login.

+1 Very nice job Gox
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 02:18:25 PM

Good job MtGox

You guys really are the frontrunners in security  Smiley

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Mt.Gox Support (OP)
VIP

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:17:50 AM

On edit a couple of suggestions:
The terms "security center" and "extra security" are used interchangeably.  Seems like you need a name change and didn't update all the text?

When adding a Google Auth the term "secret" isn't exactly clear.  Something like "confirm current authentication code" or some kind of popup or info tag might help.  Or maybe I am just stupid without my morning coffee.

A well deserved Thank you for enabling a universal solution.  I have no need or desire to use yubikey as it is a single site solution.  Worse I usually access bitcoin exchange via remote desktop session which doesn't play nice with yubikey.  Google Auth allows me cellphone to authenticate multiple sites and it is always with me and it is itself protected by a strong login.

Lastly I love the idea of only "locking down" withdrawals.  Awesome idea.

Thanks for your comments, we will check what can be don on the wording.

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 05:48:17 AM

I'm trying to add a google authenticator to my account, but when I try to enter my private key into my phone the google app says that 8's and 9's are invalid characters.

edit: just to be sure... I'm supposed to be inputing the private key mt.gox generates into the google authenticator app in the field that says "enter your key" right? Thats how I'm interpreting it.
Mt.Gox Support (OP)
VIP

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 05:52:38 AM

I'm trying to add a google authenticator to my account, but when I try to enter my private key into my phone the google app says that 8's and 9's are invalid characters.

edit: just to be sure... I'm supposed to be inputing the private key mt.gox generates into the google authenticator app in the field that says "enter your key" right? Thats how I'm interpreting it.

Do you have the same problem when scanning the QR Code?

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 05:54:16 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2012, 06:06:06 AM by Hexadecibel

Unfortunately my job requires that I not have phones capable of taking pictures. I have to type in the key manually.

edit: can anyone else test that for me? Maybe my phone is just plain stupid. See if you can input a 9 or 8 into the key field
Mt.Gox Support (OP)
VIP

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 06:18:08 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2012, 06:36:56 AM by Mt.Gox Support

Unfortunately my job requires that I not have phones capable of taking pictures. I have to type in the key manually.

edit: can anyone else test that for me? Maybe my phone is just plain stupid. See if you can input a 9 or 8 into the key field

You phone is not stupid, we found out what's going on and we are making some modification right now for you and people in your situation.

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 06:24:39 AM

You phone is not stupid, we found out what's going in and we are making some modification right now for you and people in your situation.

sweet! You guys rock. Next time I'm in Japan I'm going to bake you a cake
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 06:44:50 AM

Mr Mt Gox,

Can I use a Yubikey I got directly from Yubico ? I know you can reprogram those things and the new ones have 2 configuration slots.

Mt.Gox Support (OP)
VIP

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 07:04:00 AM

Mr Mt Gox,

Can I use a Yubikey I got directly from Yubico ? I know you can reprogram those things and the new ones have 2 configuration slots.

Please send an email to the support team for that.

Cheers

Mt.Gox Support (OP)
VIP

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 07:30:30 AM

You phone is not stupid, we found out what's going in and we are making some modification right now for you and people in your situation.

sweet! You guys rock. Next time I'm in Japan I'm going to bake you a cake

Should work now! Chose either one of the new 16Bit or 32 Bit Private Key

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 02:18:37 AM

Alright! it works! Just attached my google authenticator to my account.

Why the option for 16bit or 32 bit keys? What's the purpose behind that?

Mt.Gox Support (OP)
VIP

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 02:43:14 AM

Alright! it works! Just attached my google authenticator to my account.

Why the option for 16bit or 32 bit keys? What's the purpose behind that?

Good question, our tech explained me the reason yesterday and I still have difficulty to still understand it, still some application will accept both and some only one... Your device is an Android Phone? iPhone?

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 02:59:34 AM

Android, I used the 32 bit key.

I'm just saying because it may cause confusion
clone4501

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 01:25:47 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2012, 01:55:00 AM by clone4501

I have a question.  I have set up Google Authenticator for my Mt. Gox account on my Droid.  What happens if my phone is lost, stolen, breaks, or dies?  Am I locked out of my account?  If I set G.A. for withdrawls and Security Center only, and my phone is lost, stolen, etc., how can I make withdrawls?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: