Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:24:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifying the Dell WY825 for a quiet & efficient miner power supply  (Read 1791 times)
Automatic Monkey (OP)

Activity: 503
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 02:26:55 AM

These 1100W server power supplies are available pretty cheap on Ebay ($20-30), and I couldn't find any documentation so I had to work it all out myself and I will share my results. I run two S3's off each one and they run very well, >90% efficiency. They might be able to run three but I got the power supplies so cheap I can't justify pushing it and losing efficiency.

They don't come with fans installed so I guess they rely on cabinet ventilation for cooling, so the first thing I did was add some little 40 mm fans. Crazy glue them to the connector side of the frame blowing in, put terminals on them for power, and seal up the gaps on the connector side so the air blows through to the power cord side. It will look something like this:

Then you have to pin the thing so it starts up without being in the server. There are 4 pins on the 24-pin connector that have to be connected together. I did it by dyking open the backs of two Berg jumpers and soldering a wire between them, then attaching them to the proper pins. Here's a pic:

If that's not clear, the secret pins are the bottom two on the leftmost column, and the rightmost two on the second from bottom row.

Good luck, hope this info gets somebody on the air cheap!  Grin

Try ShadowCash, the first coin with instant and decentralized private transactions!
SDC address: SUPERMAN8eDvcPL6RWYMVwtPzUtqWi2zCr
Wallet Private Key: 7S6fJBEzXqJuuGCvEPcgBSbd5wmjVTvDj7591gNKcTmS7X47e98
unrealistic

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:41:06 AM

Thanks, will try this too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: