Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:03:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commercial Elec Rates for Home Miners (xcel) attempt  (Read 1454 times)
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:45:32 AM

Well I called my local elec utility (xcel) and asked about this a couple months back...supposedly over the phone they said if I could show biz (yep i'm a biz) in my home (yep home
    office IRS all that setup) and my elec use is I think they said more then 1/2 my current use (yep fire up the GPU tower...two laptops with putty....the 'ahem' biz desktop for books         (really will i stoop that low just toss up a few more watts...yep) the KNC Jupiter oct 2013 (about 700w?) the no roi no refund 300mh (someday) Titan ( 1400w or some such)

yep think I have it nailed they had no problems it being a house

I doubt you even really have to prove to xcel you are a biz...i mean who'd have all this industrial type server looking stuff in their home if it was not a biz right?

they did say that there is no 'budget' plan on elec like if residential rates and that the fees on commercial are higher so it MAY not make any sense to do this ...just to pay in full each month (no budget) to save say $10 usd a month or somehing silly

anyway I'll let you know and see how fast I can get something setup..it is free supposedly (again this is all from a phone call couple months ago) they stick on a watt meter and go
    'yep you be using juice indeed' when they see the Titan hashing

anyone else do this for home use yet? if so pipe in here...I figure it will take them a couple weeks to set this up...be nice if I could save 20% in elec costs off my 15c/kwh on this
    somewhat dubious Titan purchase (asic gods give me scrypt N or all hope is loss.....)

anyway after this (one way or another) baring driving around with the asic in a van and stealing elec from wayside rests in the area......i have no other angle to cut costs

then again they are a group of nice little space heaters the bsmt is cozy

again imgur link to my somewhat demented mad scientist lair in the bsmt (pics)

http://lostgonzo.imgur.com/

well ..I"ve had dumber and more expensive hobbies....but at that point in my life (fast cars) at least I could get girls.....asic machines not so much)

If anyone else has had any luck with the above post on here

me I'm in upper midwest ....xcel energy is the utility and it is 15c/kwh so we will see

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goozman96

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:05:29 PM

Good luck in your endeavors. Obtaining business rate electricity is certainly beneficial for mining. Let us know how it turns out.

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 05:29:24 AM

Good luck in your endeavors. Obtaining business rate electricity is certainly beneficial for mining. Let us know how it turns out.

yeah my home mining days are over me thinks..may have to get baby miners to show IRS revenue stream (bank error had to show
as a biz resolved in 1 day embarrassed bank .but still had do to the home biz thing before to be share usa irs virtual miner guideline 2013
but then again did not pay taxes 2013 (4k) due to equip and due to low coin price and equip this year likely no tax again)

anyway 25% equip deduction (20% off gross income over 5 years...comes out to 25% off in real $$$ otherwise paid
to the tax man... (3yrs to go after this year) so with wtf equip and btc drop this year ..maybe
getting backed into this was not a bad thing..so maybe some baby miners (less then 750 bucks or some such) next couple years
just to show IRS revenue stream don't ya now to wind up equip depreciation (considered computer equip 5 years)

so anyway home miners are probably dead for all but me and my above bona fides....for the IRS

the person on the phone from Xcel said it MAY just be a draw on price (likely) more fees/tax for commercial rates and such
and no budget you pay in 15 days each month period...they don't ave it out like home elec over the year to smooth it all out..

so heck if it is like 15 bucks a month just to pay in full and a whole circus I will likely just keep residential rates

if it is as they say they come in and show my use is more then my prev home use (significant) which should be no problem

and say I save 30 bucks or more a month....what the heck I will do so

but it is probably imho better then 50/50 it ends up a draw in price per month (that is why they call them utilities ..they utilize every
trick in the book to nickel and dime your bill) Smiley

they said the look see is free I will contact them tommarow and see when they can get by to play check my wattage

confusion will cross their faces when they see the miners.....explanations will have to be made I'm sure...and the look of pity/sadness
for the poor crazy person they found doing such ...(in the Midwest USA the universal view is bitcoin is akin to drug dealing $$ around
the world in a combination of a ponzi scheme.....) ...being nice Midwestern folk they likely will get me to go to a party with cake
and I will find out it is an "intervention" to get me out of the evil "bitcoin cult"

needless to say ...until some more positive spin in the news media (unlikely for now) I don't even bother to tell folk about bitcoin

but anyway ....we will see hopefully it will work and folks on here armed with the fact the xcel in the upper midwest of the usa does
this for bitcoin miners they can traipse down to their local utility and see if they can demand the same commercial rate option

have a NO ROI NO REFUND Titan (dumb purchase..tinkertoy) so need to think out side the box

my next goal is

Attic Mining....I make 22 after elec on litecoin a day on the Titan ..I easily on Ebay can make 22 bucks a day after postage on the crap from 40 years
collected in the attic

ah motivation when you screw up!

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: