Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:29:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Bitcoin Doomsday Scenarios I can't find much discussion on...  (Read 6147 times)
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 01:00:58 PM

If it is a PC that was never connected to the internet, it is not. Unless you want to use magic again, which is unfair.
Show me a PC like that, and I'll show you a unicorn!

I have several... but a DOS offline wallet would be required to make them useful.... and it might take hours to form a tx on the 386.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hack_

Activity: 501
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:22:41 AM

how about the current doomsday?
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 01:00:00 PM

There are a lot of big problems concerning Bitcoin now, mainly the fork problem which needs to be addressed due future blockchain bloat, the exchanges being hacked, and the mainstream public still not being able to understand Bitcoin let alone use it, which translates on a shitty price.

Time will prove us right tho.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 01:03:47 PM

There are a lot of big problems concerning Bitcoin now, mainly the fork problem which needs to be addressed due future blockchain bloat, the exchanges being hacked, and the mainstream public still not being able to understand Bitcoin let alone use it, which translates on a shitty price.

I don't think, forking is a problem. Most people don't care, the rest has to follow or they will be pretty much alone in their fork.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:12:51 PM

I don't think, forking is a problem. Most people don't care, the rest has to follow or they will be pretty much alone in their fork.

And why the hell wouldn't they follow? If they own Bitcoins and they want the best for Bitcoin they will do follow. Its better than doing it once Bitcoin is popular.
dagelf (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:07:03 AM

So... I've reached some greater insights over the past few months...

Globally, wars are declining. And should a global war scenario break out, it will not be *that* global... ie. the internet will survive.

Individuals using Bitcoin don't have to worry about forks and such as most hashing power is in the hands of a bunch of groups - who know the hand that's feeding them, and who won't compromise their own network by getting greedy and trying to slip backdoors- or a way to gain control over each others' networks, into their codebases.

Roll Eyes Oh my... private blockchains or competing p2p nets?! Well... there's still a risk - the total amount of venture capital that has gone into Bitcoin is still less than half of the US Black Ops budget. Technically, the banks of the world could still get together and launch a concerted effort against Bitcoin, in favor of something similar, over which they have more control and which is run by p2p nets that favor them more...

But: 1) That window of opportunity is shrinking, fast ... and
2) There are already so many finance people into Bitcoin, and many of these already stink in the same ways that banks do. All the scammers and exploiters of the world are already here... so...

I think Bitcoin it is...

Still, there is intelligence about Bitcoin that is only tracked by individual companies - and it would be to Bitcoins benefit if this was in the public domain. Because information asymmetry creates opportunity for disruption, and a disruption to Bitcoin will destroy a lot of economic value that has been built up...

So Kudo's to people like Blockchain.info, who make as much information public as possible. That's the real spirit of the internet, p2p and Bitcoin: Openness.

(Not to be confused with transparency or the be juxtaposed against privacy - these is a difference between knowing how something works, and having access and being able to learn about it and understand it, and knowing about the people involved, their desires, motives and private lives, and bad ideas <- It's up to the Openness to show them better ideas, but ultimately they still have to discover those for themselves.)
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:56:59 AM

It takes a lot time before people get convinced to give Bitcoin a chance. A lot people at the very beginning when they hear about Bitcoin they are quite skeptical and think in a negative way. If you explain everything to them in an easy manner, then they surely will let their skeptical way of thinking vanish and turn that into a positive when they see Bitcoin has a real purpose and will benefit us all.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 11:26:13 AM

@OP
imho you points stated arent very likely to be a doomsday scenario for bitcoin.

Here is my list ordered after likeliness:

1. Nuclear war
2. Global killer asteroid
3. GRB that hits earth

Oh i forgot something:

4. Illuminati and co.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
ivan19

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 02:50:34 PM

The only bad thing I could see if someone comes in and takes control over the whole network and starts cashing in on all the coins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: