Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:26:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin goes down = alts go down, Bitcoin goes up = alts go down  (Read 2550 times)
Ryse (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 09:53:24 AM

Recently Bitcoin dropped from a stable $580-620 range to as low as sub $300 and caused the alts to fall with it. The reasons behind this are totally justified and make absolute sense. This is also the time when many where saying "wait for the next BTC rally, and alts will go up with it"

So now we are in the early stages of a rally whose start looks alot better than last year's rally, yet instead of alts going up in prices as many speculated, the alt market is bleeding as if BTC just dropped to $150.

So why is this exactly? The only alt that seems to directly correlate with BTC price it LTC. Everything else, is on a pretty solid downtrend.

Perhaps this is the best time to get into altcoins? But whose to say alts will also have a rally when the initial speculation obviously failed.

We are all stardust.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 12:47:55 PM

I think a lot of it is just psychology - money just goes where people think they can make the most money in the shortest amount of time.

When alts get even more cheap and there is the temptation to make a lot of money quickly again..  watch money flow back into alts.

devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:39:02 PM

If you check their USD price, many of the Top 10 alts are holding steady when Bitcoin goes up. They only go down relative to Bitcoin, because speculator wannabe sheep run to Bitcoin thinking it's a safe haven. But the long-term trend for BTC/USD is still down, the miners fiat leak didn't go anywhere, and Bitcoin design flaws are still there.
belmonty

Activity: 295

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:40:41 PM

Most of the alts on coinmarketcap look like they are going up to me because their percentage price increase/decrease is positive and written in green, not red.

balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:02:51 PM

uno is pretty resistant to that because most is held by longtermers who don't give a fuck for 20% swings in btc. Most alts are pretty oversold already from last summmer. If bitcoin would be going to 2k$ those would be making good bank too. If bitcoin goes up, i buy alts from those that sell for btc. I say 'thanks a lot' to those.
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 02:40:36 PM

when bitcoin goes down, there is panick sell in altcoin, leading to low price
when bitcoin goes up, optimism is restored, they can afford to sell lower... leading to low price
(let just hope these aren't the same people...)

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:10:00 PM

when bitcoin goes down, there is panick sell in altcoin, leading to low price
when bitcoin goes up, optimism is restored, they can afford to sell lower... leading to low price
(let just hope these aren't the same people...)

Yeah pretty much this.

It's funny how long it's taking alts to go up though.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
cheekychap

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:59:14 PM

I don't think it happens with all altcoins.  With doge, the opposite happened.

picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 04:46:39 PM

To make money with alt-coins you need :
-to create an altcoin and get people excited by it
-buy/mine an altcoin early and be lucky/skilled enough to pick the one that will soar in price
-scam
-trade the altcoins markets and be lucky/skilles enough

But from a long-term or even one year perspective you are probably better off with Bitcoin than any other coins
coinflow
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:03:19 PM

Mooncoin is stable: https://www.cryptsy.com/markets/view/MOON_LTC

foxbitcoin

Activity: 593

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:20:35 PM

it is usual,is due to the fact that the market optimism
I'd rather focus in the next big thing which I think will be NODEcoin
balu2

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:41:35 PM

-buy/mine an altcoin early and be lucky/skilled enough to pick the one that will soar in price
-scam

But from a long-term or even one year perspective you are probably better off with Bitcoin than any other coins

again, doesn't apply to uno. You were loosing $$$ while holding btc last year. Uno is the only coin of all the coins (including bitcoin) that did not loose you money for holding last year. That's not hype, that's fact. Look at the charts. While other coins were loosing up to 99,9% Uno had its alltime low around 1.60$ for a coin. Today it's at around 3.50$ and still cheap from that angle.
15 new coins minted per day only. Needs only 3.6btc new money a month to hold that value

here the numbers of some other coins:

Looking at the other large cap coins
BTC in new investment needed per month at current price
Dark            > 230
Feathercoin > 245
bitmark    > 316
Namecoin     > 522
Peercoin     > 741
DogeCoin     > 850
LTC            > 8784

And bitcoin ... $38,430,000 of new investment is needed just to equalize the coin inflation.
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:40:31 PM

-scam

again, doesn't apply to uno. You were loosing $$$ while holding btc last year. Uno is the only coin of all the coins (including bitcoin) that did not loose you money for holding last year. That's not hype, that's fact. Look at the charts. While other coins were loosing up to 99,9% Uno had its alltime low around 1.60$ for a coin. Today it's at around 3.50$ and still cheap from that angle.
15 new coins minted per day only. Needs only 3.6btc new money a month to hold that value

here the numbers of some other coins:

Looking at the other large cap coins
BTC in new investment needed per month at current price
Dark            > 230
Feathercoin > 245
bitmark    > 316
Namecoin     > 522
Peercoin     > 741
DogeCoin     > 850
LTC            > 8784

And bitcoin ... $38,430,000 of new investment is needed just to equalize the coin inflation.

Interesting fact but you would have made way more money holding bitcoins than uno and not all bitcoins mined go to exchanges.
Bitcoin is a far superior coin than any other altcoin that are just lottery tickets at best.
mr.coinstrader

Activity: 278

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 08:13:17 PM

There's too many coins to do deep research on all of them but so far,
heard positive things about 2 coins:
Nem and Node
Aterna

Activity: 138

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 08:19:35 PM

I've noticed this too. Adds a nothing volatile element to something that's already volatile as hell. Bitcoin going up and alts going down isn't too bad, because you're usually at a close or similar $. But bitcoin crashing and people dumping is easily the most painful scenario out of the two.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 09:04:52 PM

things changed since i started trading ALT's in July 2013
there used to be a pattern of one going up and then the other would go down and vice versa..
both those days are loooong gone.
i also pointed out how since that time every month there is a flurry of dumping leading up to a peak at the end of every month
with a peak rise mid month in ALT coins.. and that use to rebound us back a bit but that ended too.

now, we have a steady downward trend overall and it's been like this all year i think.. the game changed and patterns broke apart.

prices are dropping no matter what because less and less people are trading ALT coin.. couldn't be simpler really.
and they are leaving because this shit is a joke !
a corrupt rigged game of ponzi schemes.

i have to laugh at guys with their delusional optimism and funny excuses for predictions / trends excuses LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
Aterna

Activity: 138

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 09:10:29 PM

Every now and then you can find paired coins. When one is over bought it gets dumped and moves over to a coin that is oversold. Might just be whale games, but there is just way too many alts and noise out there.

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 09:19:56 PM

Every now and then you can find paired coins. When one is over bought it gets dumped and moves over to a coin that is oversold. Might just be whale games, but there is just way too many alts and noise out there.

you might still be able to find a way to make a profit but that has nothing to do with the topic at all.

and the vice is tightening more and more over time..

balu2

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 09:49:09 PM

Interesting fact but you would have made way more money holding bitcoins than uno and not all bitcoins mined go to exchanges.
Bitcoin is a far superior coin than any other altcoin that are just lottery tickets at best.

i think uno will be around for a much longer time. Since i am holding it longterm i don't worry so much since demand at this point will always be greater than inflation so i would anticipate it to keep slowly rising like it did for the last 6 months.
Bitcoin is just first mover and better in PR, but not superior in its properties to hold value (10% inflation). It's quite volatile because of that inflation. I do hold bitcoin too, of course but smaller cap coins make potentially more profit.
How many hundred million USD would btc need to double in value?
Smaller cap coins need less new money to rise. A good portfolio has small cap and large cap coins alike in it imo.
The art in this is to avoid shitcoins and overpriced (hyped) coins.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 11:45:57 PM

Did any of you bother to read the topic ?

I see this a lot all over crypto.. you guys FAIL hard at getting what the point here was.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: