Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:53:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trapped by Dwolla  (Read 1394 times)
hankreardenstacos (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:23:33 AM

Evening, all. So I'm just getting started, trying to buy Bitcoins for my first time. I had initially attempted to use MoneyGram/BitInstant --> MTGox, but had some issues at CVS with that, so I opened a Dwolla account and deposited some funds there, as that's what I'd read on the various wikis.

Unfortunately, now I'm being told there is a 30-day waiting period to send my DwollaUSD to any of the exchanges or intermediaries I've tried. I have a verified Dwolla account (Drivers license and bank account approved), but can't seem to get around the 30-day hold. Frustrating as I've already waited 4 business days for the $$ to clear from my bank into Dwolla.

I'd like to buy Bitcoins tonight. Is there any method or roundabout anyone can recommend so I can get my Dwolla USD into my MTGox account tonight? I'd honestly be very appreciative.

**EDIT: I have $40 Dwolla USD that I'd like to trade for BTC or MTGoxUSD.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:28:15 AM

Since you are still stuck in Newbie jail, I'll relay your post to this thread:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78512.0

How much Dwolla USDs do you have?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

hankreardenstacos (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:30:24 AM

Since you are still stuck in Newbie jail, I'll relay your post to this thread:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78512.0

How much Dwolla USDs do you have?

Awesome. Thanks for your help -- the community here is really cool about all this, even for newbies. I have $40 Dwolla USD.
hankreardenstacos (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 02:07:45 PM

Update: User Inaba offered to trade MTGox USD for my Dwolla USD. Transaction went smoothly and quickly; I highly recommend him if you need to perform a similar trade. I am now the proud owner of several BTC.

Here is his original response to the thread relayed by Stephen Gornick: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78512.msg943931#msg943931
fishface

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 04:16:58 PM

I'm in a similar position to what OP was in yesterday... deposited my US Dollars into Dwolla and then saw that I cannot transfer these to MtGox without taking verification steps that take away much of the anonymity of Bitcoin. I see that this forum has a thread for peer2peer exchanges of Dwolla$-->MtGox$, but I'm stuck in newbie jail for the time being. I am looking to move over $1k in all, but am more than willing to break that down into smaller transactions if necessary. Just looking for someone more experienced to guide me in this journey  Cheesy

These won't be my first bitcoin transaction, as I have already done the moneygram > mtgox route but was not a fan of the fees involved  Shocked especially with the amount I want to move to MtGox now. Thanks in advance for anyone's help, and I hope its ok to hijack this thread for my purposes... if not I apologize and can move my request elsewhere  Grin
ryangetzlaf

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 04:21:43 PM

I'm in a similar position to what OP was in yesterday... deposited my US Dollars into Dwolla and then saw that I cannot transfer these to MtGox without taking verification steps that take away much of the anonymity of Bitcoin. I see that this forum has a thread for peer2peer exchanges of Dwolla$-->MtGox$, but I'm stuck in newbie jail for the time being. I am looking to move over $1k in all, but am more than willing to break that down into smaller transactions if necessary. Just looking for someone more experienced to guide me in this journey  Cheesy

These won't be my first bitcoin transaction, as I have already done the moneygram > mtgox route but was not a fan of the fees involved  Shocked especially with the amount I want to move to MtGox now. Thanks in advance for anyone's help, and I hope its ok to hijack this thread for my purposes... if not I apologize and can move my request elsewhere  Grin

So Is Dwolla to mtgox/intersango better than Chase Quickpay or Paypal?
fishface

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 04:43:03 PM

I'm in a similar position to what OP was in yesterday... deposited my US Dollars into Dwolla and then saw that I cannot transfer these to MtGox without taking verification steps that take away much of the anonymity of Bitcoin. I see that this forum has a thread for peer2peer exchanges of Dwolla$-->MtGox$, but I'm stuck in newbie jail for the time being. I am looking to move over $1k in all, but am more than willing to break that down into smaller transactions if necessary. Just looking for someone more experienced to guide me in this journey  Cheesy

These won't be my first bitcoin transaction, as I have already done the moneygram > mtgox route but was not a fan of the fees involved  Shocked especially with the amount I want to move to MtGox now. Thanks in advance for anyone's help, and I hope its ok to hijack this thread for my purposes... if not I apologize and can move my request elsewhere  Grin

So Is Dwolla to mtgox/intersango better than Chase Quickpay or Paypal?

o_0 I don't know what you mean... better for what? I was requesting help similar to what the original poster requested and received recently. I'm not a fan of Paypal and I don't know what Chase Quickpay is. Sorry!
farfie

Activity: 63

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 06:00:13 PM

This isn't really related to the thread or what you're asking, but I can say that Dwolla was the first thing I attempted to use, and it all worked out great. Lately, however, things have slowed down or something. I guess I should add some time frame to this.. I started out back in January 2012. Back then, MTGox to Dwolla and Dwolla to my bank all took only a couple days for the entire process. Now a days things take a really long time, and I don't know why it has changed... things like MTGox to Dwolla taking a week or longer all of a sudden. I say just use Dwolla and wait it out. You didn't mention being in a hurry to do this, so just wait it out. I think it's honestly one of the best ways to do it right now other than that other thread you mentioned.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 06:35:22 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2012, 07:54:37 PM by Stephen Gornick

I don't know why it has changed... things like MTGox to Dwolla taking a week or longer all of a sudden.

Because Mt. Gox is hitting limits (either self-imposed or hard-limits from Dwolla) on their Dwolla account.  Thus they queue the withdrawals, so the delay will vary based on how much Dwolla withdrawals are occurring.

Mt. Gox's comments have said the wait is running about one week.  That had been running as long as two weeks since they instituted their Dwolla AML policy (verify Mt. Gox account by sending a color photo ID), but that backlog is now down to one week, reportedly.

There are three other exchanges where Dwolla is used.  Camp BX and Intersango are two of them.  No delays (well, measured in minutes to hours, not days).
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Selling_bitcoins

Also, there are ways to withdraw directly to your bank now, no Dwolla in the middle.

- e.g., BTC --> BitFloor --> exchange to USD --> ACH withdraw --> Your Bank

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

fishface

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 06:47:51 PM

Problem solved, will use Intersango. Thanks!
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:17:28 PM

Try Bitfloor... better than Intersango and has ACH withdrawals. 

As for MTGox delays, I'm going on 3+ weeks waiting for my Dwolla transfer.  Many of us suspect MT Gox is having funding issues, which means if/when their house of cards collapses, your funds go poof.  Given that fact that they can't handle even small fiat transfers, this is likely to happen sooner rather than later.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 09:25:27 PM

Try Bitfloor... better than Intersango and has ACH withdrawals. 

As for MTGox delays, I'm going on 3+ weeks waiting for my Dwolla transfer.  Many of us suspect MT Gox is having funding issues, which means if/when their house of cards collapses, your funds go poof.  Given that fact that they can't handle even small fiat transfers, this is likely to happen sooner rather than later.

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20120518.html

That may be relevant here.
BankTransfer

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 04:37:15 AM

Wow, that must suck!
SierraDooDah

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 10:35:28 PM

Just triggered a transfer from Dwolla to Mt. Gox ... I'll keep you posted on how long it takes to show up.

Sierra
SierraDooDah

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 12:31:26 AM

Okay, that was much faster than I expected.

Transaction Date: 2012-06-10 03:30:19
Zeronic

Activity: 243
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 03:06:19 PM

I'm doing a MTGOX to Dwolla, started Date: 2012-06-11 19:24:01 GMT, let see how long it takes for the funds to clear.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
ludo0777

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 06:56:31 PM

Update: User Inaba offered to trade MTGox USD for my Dwolla USD. Transaction went smoothly and quickly; I highly recommend him if you need to perform a similar trade. I am now the proud owner of several BTC.

Here is his original response to the thread relayed by Stephen Gornick: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78512.msg943931#msg943931

How many bitcoins did you get? I think they are worth $5 each?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: