Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:37:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Capslock addresses  (Read 1124 times)
Taras (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 10:35:13 PM

So yesterday I figured I'd like to create a bitcoin address with all capital letters (and numbers). I saw it done before (somewhere, I don't know where), so I figured I could.

I used bitcore to set up a little script and realized... Hmm, I'm gonna need some more power.

I converted every computer in the house into a vanity farm. Everyone hooked up to my router is making addresses.

Okay, cool, we're making a shit ton of addresses and I'm walking through the house checking all the computers for a few minutes.

Eventually, this happened to one of the computers and I started to rethink the operation.

Then I started thinking about what I'm doing in the first place. I'm a 17 year old guy in high school, and I'm probably the only one in the world who wants to have an all-caps bitcoin address to see if I could make one. What the fuck am I doing? Holy shit this is probably the most useless thing I have ever done! Really this tops my list of useless projects:

• 1 - Attempts to create a bitcoin address with no lowercase letters
  • 2 - Successfully creating a useless coin that is mined with MD5
  • 3 - Taking over a minecraft economy by creating ingame fiat (this went well)
  • 4 - Margin trading diamonds and livestock on large minecraft servers
  • 5 - Creating a functional wallet that does not include addresses

So, fuck. Why am I doing this. I don't even reuse addresses. I could be making some cool-ass wallet UI right now and I'm making a fucking all-caps bitcoin address.
I never even got one. The closest (surviving Tongue) contender I got was:

1QJK4Y6F19Y3Q143EAf58FWcYGC2qXiQAX

Thanks for reading my rant-project-whatever-the-fuck shitpost. If any of you have made an all-caps address please humble me with your divine skills and tell me what you did.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2014, 10:06:43 AM

-snip-

Then I started thinking about what I'm doing in the first place. I'm a 17 year old guy in high school, and I'm probably the only one in the world who wants to have an all-caps bitcoin address to see if I could make one. What the fuck am I doing? Holy shit this is probably the most useless thing I have ever done! Really this tops my list of useless projects:

• 1 - Attempts to create a bitcoin address with no lowercase letters
  • 2 - Successfully creating a useless coin that is mined with MD5
  • 3 - Taking over a minecraft economy by creating ingame fiat (this went well)
  • 4 - Margin trading diamonds and livestock on large minecraft servers
  • 5 - Creating a functional wallet that does not include addresses

So, fuck. Why am I doing this.
-snip-

Because you can. Enjoy it while it lasts. I am almost twice your age with kids, work and university. I have an ever growing list of things I want to do, but then life happens.
Do all the crazy and fucked up things you can imagine while you have the time. This time will be gone faster than you think and I imagine you know way more about plenty of things than you did before you tried all those "useless projects".
Everything you do in life makes you better at something, if thats MD5, margin trading on minecraft or sleeping/watching TV is your choise and frankly your choices in the past have been supreme. At least thats my opinion.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Yeezus

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 10:39:57 AM

Damn, you're only 17? You seem older if it's any consolation, but yes this is a waste of time though having an address in all caps would stand out.

jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Yup, I'd agree with Shorena.

What do you HAVE to do ? This stuff is way awesomer than I could foresee doing, and you have time to do it.
These stuff may actually help you going forward, especially if you are looking to do something in this field.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 02:02:06 PM

It's cool to mess around with vanity gens, only downside is that it takes so damn long.

I saw some one with address 1111111111111111111111... That must have taken him a freaking long time  Cheesy

Edit : This is the address 1111111111111111111114oLvT2
Taras (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2014, 02:53:01 PM

Thanks for all the comments Smiley I feel better about making my capslock address Grin
I guess I won't give up on getting a perfect one; I know I've seen someone do it at least once.
It's cool to mess around with vanity gens, only downside is that it takes so damn long.

I saw some one with address 1111111111111111111111... That must have taken him a freaking long time  Cheesy

The private key for that address does not exist Sad
Any funds sent to it are provably lost.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 04:25:36 PM

Thanks for all the comments Smiley I feel better about making my capslock address Grin
I guess I won't give up on getting a perfect one; I know I've seen someone do it at least once.

The private key for that address does not exist Sad
Any funds sent to it are provably lost.

That address contains nearly 3BTC of spam transactions, waste of money.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:11:09 PM

There's one guy with an all caps address. Search for the vanity address thread.
Taras (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2014, 07:52:43 PM

There's one guy with an all caps address. Search for the vanity address thread.
I have much to learn
I wasn't able to get GPU working in linux, but it turns out my cluster of CPUs was enough to create the address I really wanted :

1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX

Am I really the first person that has done this?  FreeMoney didn't even recognize it as a BTC address.  At the very least, people should recognize that one when they see it Smiley

A donation is on its way!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: