Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:23:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bitcoin-Accepting Site in UK - Chocolates!  (Read 4641 times)
cpt_howdy (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:03:48 PM

In collaboration with a chocolatier friend of mine, we've just launched a Bitcoin-enabled version of his online shop - you can find it at: http://the-chocolate-tree.bit-trade.co.uk
The shop is Bitcoin-only, uses Bit-Pay as the payment system, and Opencart as the backbone of the site.
Trust me, the chocolate is amazing, and some novelty Bitcoin purchases from the community would be much appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:06:50 PM

In collaboration with a chocolatier friend of mine, we've just launched a Bitcoin-enabled version of his online shop - you can find it at: http://the-chocolate-tree.bit-trade.co.uk
The shop is Bitcoin-only, uses Bit-Pay as the payment system, and Opencart as the backbone of the site.
Trust me, the chocolate is amazing, and some novelty Bitcoin purchases from the community would be much appreciated!

What's a non-bitcoin enabled version of his site look like?

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 01:11:28 PM

Now my wife loves bitcoin  Wink

cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:27:57 PM

OK, maybe Bitcoin-enabled sounds a little stupid - anyway, this is the existing (Paypal) site:

http://www.the-chocolate-tree.co.uk/

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:38:35 PM

OK, maybe Bitcoin-enabled sounds a little stupid - anyway, this is the existing (Paypal) site:

Thank you. The reason I asked obviously is because there are so many self-important unsuccessful "companies" (guys running a single page website from their home PC) who think that adding BItcoin to the site makes them notable. Just wanted to make it clear what was going on, that the company in question had a history and wasn't just you. ^_^

EDIT: This does beg to ask though-- why isn't the site adding bitcoin to itself directly? Anyone could be claiming to be representing them with a separate site and just stealing bitcoins.

cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:55:26 PM

Good question - it would be a fairly unsustainable scam to setup an unsanctioned site to steal coins though.
In the case of this site, one way you can tell it's genuine is to put through an order - you will receive an email from an "@the-chocolate-tree.co.uk" address once your order goes through. A counter-question though Matthew, how can you tell any small-trading site is genuine? The original Chocolate Tree site using paypal could be a scam too. My point is - why assume Bitcoin operations are scams until proven otherwise?

To answer the question - why doesn't the Chocolate Tree just add a Bitcoin option? Well, that was how this idea came about - I asked them if they would like to do that, and it was clear that this would be either too much work for them, or extra expense to pay their web-coder to implement the Bitcoin payment option. So I offered to setup an Opencart site instead - it doesn't take long, and crucially Bit-Pay makes it a viable and easy route to selling products using Bitcoin.

Thank you. The reason I asked obviously is because there are so many self-important unsuccessful "companies" (guys running a single page website from their home PC) who think that adding BItcoin to the site makes them notable. Just wanted to make it clear what was going on, that the company in question had a history and wasn't just you. ^_^

EDIT: This does beg to ask though-- why isn't the site adding bitcoin to itself directly? Anyone could be claiming to be representing them with a separate site and just stealing bitcoins.
cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 02:06:11 PM

But your wife won't love you until you buy her some of them chocolates Wink

cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 02:28:16 PM

Thanks for taking the time to point this stuff out. As for your questions:

1. If you checkout the link 'delivery' in the footer, I've added a line which now shows the shipping costs (I use a script from coinmill.com to convert the shipping costs using the current GBP-BTC rate) (http://the-chocolate-tree.bit-trade.co.uk/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8).

2. I'll have to look into this - will probably involve some Opencart coding or at least an option I haven't come across yet.

3. I'll get back to you on that - but for 0.6 BTC, I'm guessing not much Wink

1. I can't find the P&P price on the Bitcoin site. It's easy to find on the PayPal site.

2. I don't have a horizontal scroll bar on the Bitcoin site (Firefox 12 on Fedora). I do have a horizontal scroll bar on the PayPal site.

3. Is there any absinthe in the Absinthe Masks? If so, how much?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 02:42:01 PM

Good question - it would be a fairly unsustainable scam to setup an unsanctioned site to steal coins though.
You'd be surprised how many unsustainable scams in the Bitcoin community there are, especially ones that start out looking perfectly above board.

In the case of this site, one way you can tell it's genuine is to put through an order - you will receive an email from an "@the-chocolate-tree.co.uk" address once your order goes through.
Anyone can act as a middle man. The claim is that the company in question is directly accepting Bitcoin (which is news). If it's just you accepting bitcoins and buying chocolate for people, that's not news-- hence my inquiry.

Why assume Bitcoin operations are scams until proven otherwise?
Not a scam per se, just not honest. My only question lies in the claim "New Bitcoin-Accepting Site in UK - Chocolates!". It's vague and misleading. Either you're accepting bitcoins and ordering yourself and as such are not connected to them at all and just using their graphics (misrepresentation, not scam per se, but privacy issues and potential for scamming are there), or you're helping them by setting up a different portal in which case they should have no problem confirming this.

To answer the question - why doesn't the Chocolate Tree just add a Bitcoin option? Well, that was how this idea came about - I asked them if they would like to do that, and it was clear that this would be either too much work for them, or extra expense to pay their web-coder to implement the Bitcoin payment option. So I offered to setup an Opencart site instead - it doesn't take long, and crucially Bit-Pay makes it a viable and easy route to selling products using Bitcoin.
Again, not trying to start our relationship off on a bad note here new guy, but that isn't proof of anything. I could say that Disney said the same thing to me and just have a bitcoin gateway site to their online Disney store. Confirmation from them will shut me up.

cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:00:38 PM

Just to nip this in the bud - this is what best describes my part in this, as a provider of a portal for selling products from small businesses using Bitcoin.

Not a scam per se, just not honest. My only question lies in the claim "New Bitcoin-Accepting Site in UK - Chocolates!". It's vague and misleading. Either you're accepting bitcoins and ordering yourself and as such are not connected to them at all and just using their graphics (misrepresentation, not scam per se, but privacy issues and potential for scamming are there), or you're helping them by setting up a different portal in which case they should have no problem confirming this.

Most small traders don't even know anything about Bitcoins or how to exchange and spend/receive them, are very busy with their businesses as it is, so to give them an incentive to use a Bitcoin payment option, it has to be minimal effort, minimal/zero cost.
I intend to get as many of the local small businesses where I live to start accepting Bitcoins through the portal, since it takes only a small amount of my time, and a small amount of money (webhosting). At the moment, it's just the Chocolate Tree, because it's owned by a friend of mine - however, I aim to get some more on board soon. I've literally just got going with this project a week ago, and I'm doing this mostly to promote Bitcoin as a viable currency and payment system. Hopefully enough products will sell through bit-trade (http://www.bit-trade.co.uk/) to cover the webhosting costs, but I'm not going to make much profit from this. Hopefully things will get to the point where Bitcoin is so widely accepted, a portal site like bit-trade won't be necessary.

Finally, if you really want confirmation that this particular site is 'legit', then just contact The Chocolate Tree directly through their email address and ask the owner.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:04:03 PM

Just to nip this in the bud - this is what best describes my part in this, as a provider of a portal for selling products from small businesses using Bitcoin.

Most small traders don't even know anything about Bitcoins or how to exchange and spend/receive them, are very busy with their businesses as it is, so to give them an incentive to use a Bitcoin payment option, it has to be minimal effort, minimal/zero cost.
I intend to get as many of the local small businesses where I live to start accepting Bitcoins through the portal, since it takes only a small amount of my time, and a small amount of money (webhosting). At the moment, it's just the Chocolate Tree, because it's owned by a friend of mine - however, I aim to get some more on board soon. I've literally just got going with this project a week ago, and I'm doing this mostly to promote Bitcoin as a viable currency and payment system. Hopefully enough products will sell through bit-trade (http://www.bit-trade.co.uk/) to cover the webhosting costs, but I'm not going to make much profit from this. Hopefully things will get to the point where Bitcoin is so widely accepted, a portal site like bit-trade won't be necessary.

Finally, if you really want confirmation that this particular site is 'legit', then just contact The Chocolate Tree directly through their email address and ask the owner.

Thank you for making that clear. Keep up the good work and good luck!

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:21:09 PM

Now i want some
thirdlight

Activity: 445
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 08:41:10 PM

Delivery page (1.13) doesn't agree with cart (1.16) about shipping. Chocolate looks good, though.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 12:24:06 AM

We just ran out of hot chocolate so I ordered some from  your site  Smiley

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 02:54:59 PM

I've checked out this site and I love the choices of chocolate.As a guy who likes fine food (and fine chocolate),I'm happy with the range on offer.nice designs especially the one where the mask itself is made out of chocolate while containing more chocolates inside.Talk about clever design. Smiley

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:04:09 AM

Thanks for the order - hot chocolate should be on its long journey from Scotland to Australia this week!

We just ran out of hot chocolate so I ordered some from  your site  Smiley

cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:38:35 AM

Thanks - will pass your comments along. Where are you based? International shipping is available, but is just not currently automated - so shipping costs have to be calculated on an order by order basis. Feel free to place an order wherever you are though!

I've checked out this site and I love the choices of chocolate.As a guy who likes fine food (and fine chocolate),I'm happy with the range on offer.nice designs especially the one where the mask itself is made out of chocolate while containing more chocolates inside.Talk about clever design. Smiley
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 09:43:32 AM

Fancy chocolates and UK based? Great stuff - I'm expecting the BTC/GBP rate to start jumping Smiley Will have to give the ordering system a test soon, I think...

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 06:12:08 PM

In the case of this site, one way you can tell it's genuine is to put through an order - you will receive an email from an "@the-chocolate-tree.co.uk" address once your order goes through. A counter-question though Matthew, how can you tell any small-trading site is genuine? The original Chocolate Tree site using paypal could be a scam too. My point is - why assume Bitcoin operations are scams until proven otherwise?

To answer the question - why doesn't the Chocolate Tree just add a Bitcoin option? Well, that was how this idea came about - I asked them if they would like to do that, and it was clear that this would be either too much work for them, or extra expense to pay their web-coder to implement the Bitcoin payment option.

Perhaps you can have your friend tweet that he's now accepting Bitcoin as a payment option: https://twitter.com/T_ChocolateTree

Meanwhile, I wish I had some chocolates to enjoy while reading https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=80114.0 and http://www.scribd.com/doc/92797476/FBI-Bitcoin-Report-April-2012 by http://www.scribd.com/tradebitcoin/info, then afterwards head on over to Etsy to see what's new, starting with http://www.etsy.com/shop/anothertree.

~Bruno~
cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 02:17:54 PM

Done  Wink

Perhaps you can have your friend tweet that he's now accepting Bitcoin as a payment option: https://twitter.com/T_ChocolateTree
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: