Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:45:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Made a bad transaction i think  (Read 1260 times)
mr_kyle (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 12:49:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I received some bitcoins from a friend and he sent them using the official bitcoin app, I received those coins with the official app.

I sent him an address via hangouts to send the coins too and he did, they turned up in my account instantly.

The address I sent him was bitcoin:12bkaUHHrU92gy4UpfchL4dmKAADNcfB2n

Later he needed those coins back so I sent them too the address I had received them from which in the app under the received tab was as follows, 12gxCyBBFHFQ9v8DbroLYz3b2uY5tzqDM2

We waited two days and he never received the coins... I thought since it was a receiving address that it would be a key that would corrispond with his account.

He says he sent them using the app but it could have been possible he was using a 3rd party wallet at the time.

If he was using the official app, would these have made it back to him?

Thanks for answering my question in advance.

Kind regards
Kyle.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 01:00:46 PM

I'm sorry for your loss dude. But why didn't you check the address if it matched first before you made a transaction? You know, bitcoin transactions, once made, are irreversible. Hope this one event served as a lesson to you and to your friend. Check the address 2 or more times before clicking that send button.
r3morph3d

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 01:08:39 PM

Thats why before any transaction double or tipple check your address or the recipients one. Good luck next time, i hope u didn't lost a big amount. 
mr_kyle (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 01:51:56 PM

Hi thanks for your replies, it wasn't that the address was entered incorrectly I just assumed if you sent the coins to the address that sent them then the account would receive them. Like a mobile number sending a text if 01234 sends a text to 56789 then 56789 can reply by sending a text to 01234 and 01234 would receive the text? So if I send coins it shows up saying buffoon address XXX sent 1.0btc the address that shows up is not an address linked to the sending account?

I'm so confused Sad
onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 01:57:12 PM

Hi thanks for your replies, it wasn't that the address was entered incorrectly I just assumed if you sent the coins to the address that sent them then the account would receive them. Like a mobile number sending a text if 01234 sends a text to 56789 then 56789 can reply by sending a text to 01234 and 01234 would receive the text? So if I send coins it shows up saying buffoon address XXX sent 1.0btc the address that shows up is not an address linked to the sending account?

I'm so confused Sad

it usually works to send btc back to the originating address only if your friend is using bitcoin core.

there is nothing which guarantees it and it is not a good practice because which bitcoin you should never reuse addresses.

sorry for your loss.. only chance to get it back is that your friend remembers which 3party service he used and to ask them kindly (while providing transaction id and a signature from your originating address) to send it back.

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2014, 03:10:51 PM

I'm so confused Sad

The address you posted that you received the coins on has 0 activity.. Not sure what you are up to but this post seems screwed up on many levels...

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
https://www.bitworks.io
Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2014, 03:55:02 PM

Hi thanks for your replies, it wasn't talhat the address was entered incorrectly I just assumed if you sent the coins to the address that sent them then the account would receive them. Like a mobile number sending a text if 01234 sends a text to 56789 then 56789 can reply by sending a text to 01234 and 01234 would receive the text? So if I send coins it shows up saying buffoon address XXX sent 1.0btc the address that shows up is not an address linked to the sending account?

I'm so confused Sad

The address you posted that you received the coins on has 0 activity.. Not sure what you are up to but this post seems screwed up on many levels...
Clicking on the link the OP posted would cause the user's default client to start to create a new TX to that address (the user would still need to fill in the amount, tell the client to send and enter the password if applicable) so I think he was trying to get people to accidentally send him money.

Also the address the OP supposedly sent the coins back to is not a valid Bitcoin address so any TX that would attempt to send inputs to that address would get rejected by the network
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:50:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I received some bitcoins from a friend and he sent them using the official bitcoin app, I received those coins with the official app.

I sent him an address via hangouts to send the coins too and he did, they turned up in my account instantly.

Wonderful.  I'm glad to hear that bitcoin is working well for you.

The address I sent him was 12bkaUHHrU92gy4UpfchL4dmKAADNcfB2n

Not if he sent you bitcoins and they turned up you didn't.  That address has never had any bitcoins sent to it, and has never received any bitcoins.  You are either lying or mistaken.

Later he needed those coins back so I sent them too the address I had received them from

That is a very bad idea. Just because bitcoins were previously received at a particular address is no guarantee that the address is still associated with the same person.  You should ALWAYS get the bitcoins address from the person that you are sending the bitcoins to and never try to guess what address you should use.

which in the app under the received tab was as follows, 12gxCyBBFHFQ9v8DbroLYz3b2uY5tzqDM2

Again with the mistakes (or lies).  That is not even a valid address.  It is not possible to send bitcoins to that address.  Any half-way decent wallet will inform you that it is an invalid address and will refuse to send any bitcoins.

We waited two days and he never received the coins...

Can't tell you why until you provide accurate information about where you received them and where you sent them.  Perhaps your wallet never sent them (since you used an invalid address), or perhaps they arrived at some service (if your friend sent from some third party service), or perhaos something else entirely has happened.  We can give you a better understanding once you explain better what happened.

I thought since it was a receiving address that it would be a key that would corrispond with his account.

That's not how bitcoin works.  You shouldn't assume such things.

He says he sent them using the app but it could have been possible he was using a 3rd party wallet at the time.

It might be a good idea to find out.  It also might be a good idea to figure out what addresses the two of you actually used (since you certainly didn't use the addresses that you've posted in this thread).

If he was using the official app, would these have made it back to him?

Probably, but maybe not (under some very special circumstances).  Why take the risk?  If someone wants bitcoins from you, you should always require them to provide a valid bitcoin address.

Thanks for answering my question in advance.

You're Welcome.

Hi thanks for your replies, it wasn't that the address was entered incorrectly I just assumed if you sent the coins to the address that sent them then the account would receive them. Like a mobile number sending a text if 01234 sends a text to 56789 then 56789 can reply by sending a text to 01234 and 01234 would receive the text?

These aren't mobie phone numbers.  These are bitcoin receiving addresses.  Why would you just assume that they work like mobile phones?  Don't do that in the future, you're likely to end up losing money.

So if I send coins it shows up saying buffoon address XXX sent 1.0btc the address that shows up is not an address linked to the sending account?

It might be.  It might not be.  Why take the chance with trying to guess whether it is or not in a particular situation?  Just get a bitcoin receiving address from the person that wants to receive bitcoins and you won't have this problem.

I'm so confused Sad

That's because you thought that a revolutionary and brand new technology works just like a mobile phone number.  Stop assuming such things and you'll be a lot less confused.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: