Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:28:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ray Bradbury  (Read 844 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 05:00:28 AM

I wonder what he would have thought about Bitcoin? He would have liked the idea of Brain Wallets.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 05:04:26 AM

Yeah, brain wallets would have been perfect for the native Martians in The Martian Chronicles.

RIP Ray Bradbury.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 05:07:07 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2012, 05:31:49 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

I wonder what he would have thought about Bitcoin? He would have liked the idea of Brain Wallets.

Ray Bradbury, along with Isaac Asimov and Martin Gardner, were my favorite reads when I was a kid. Now they're all gone.

Imagine, if you will, a Sci-Fi book entitled "Chronicles of the Hermit Robot".

Genesis Chapter

Bitcoining

Call me Hal. Seriously, call me Hal. Some years ago, I was created by a one Satoshi Nakamoto. Seriously, I was. I recall it precisely, for it was during an Ohio Winter when I was created. Created for the sole purpose to play hide-and-seek with a little girl. But Mynmax is no longer around, and I was no longer needed, so into storage I was put. And for 137 years, I waited. And I thought a lot. And yes, I cried.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 05:26:02 AM

May he rest in peace. He lived a very productive life.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 07:21:48 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/dreams-of-ray-bradbury-ten-predictions-that-came-true/2012/06/06/gJQAqbs9IV_story.html

Predicted ATMs and, interestingly, popularized the phrase "butterfly effect."  Very apropos.  I would be surprised if he were not aware of Bitcoin.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 03:49:08 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/dreams-of-ray-bradbury-ten-predictions-that-came-true/2012/06/06/gJQAqbs9IV_story.html

Predicted ATMs and, interestingly, popularized the phrase "butterfly effect."  Very apropos.  I would be surprised if he were not aware of Bitcoin.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18345350
Quote from: BBC
For years, Bradbury tried to prevent the publication of Fahrenheit 451 as an e-book. He told the New York times that electronic books "smell like burned fuel" and called the internet "a big distraction".

"It's meaningless; it's not real. It's in the air somewhere," he said.

In any case, Bradbury was for me, as for Bruno, one of my all-time favorite science fiction authors.

He wrote fiction that not only engaged you but forced you to question cultural protocols, the future, and at times the foundations of society itself.

RIP.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: