Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:45:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best way to learn all the tools/names/etc that are thrown around?  (Read 931 times)
Hodl Life (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 09:52:43 PM

Hello

I find myself frequenting this section but it seems I am the only one who has no idea what a MACD, SRI or whatever is. I know a lot of this is technical analysis, but is there anyway for a layman to understand this so he can grasp the conversation and (crazy I know!) be able to join in with his own?

Thanks, I think this post might help others too
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 10:01:28 PM

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/bitstamp/btcusd
Go to settings and you have some common tools that are used here
marvinrouge

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 10:03:37 PM

http://www.babypips.com/
hyphymikey

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 10:05:36 PM

You can search for terms on http://www.investopdia.com

They also have videos at the bottom of most term pages.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 10:08:32 PM

Hello

I find myself frequenting this section but it seems I am the only one who has no idea what a MACD, SRI or whatever is. I know a lot of this is technical analysis, but is there anyway for a layman to understand this so he can grasp the conversation and (crazy I know!) be able to join in with his own?

Thanks, I think this post might help others too

Double click/highlight the word/abbreviation you don't understand, for instance "MACD."
Right-click it, and from the drop-down menu, chose "Search Google for 'MACD'."
Pick one of the first results, here:

This works for 70% of the stuff.  When you get junk results, add "define."  If still junk, try adding "financial term."

Now you know more than 90% of the local experts Smiley

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 10:13:41 PM

If total beginner, and goal is just to get the basics:

Tutorials from babypips (mentioned already).

To look up individual indicators/tools in an intuitive, non-math heavy way: investopedia.com

If more advanced already, and goal is to get a more complete understanding of TA:

A solid book on TA is:
Kirkpatrick/Dahlquist. Technical Analysis: The Complete Resource for Financial Market Technicians

And a website going into more technical details about individual indicators:
stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: