Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:00:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] Plastic QR codes  (Read 3787 times)
TeslaUa (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 09:56:32 AM

Hey,

Is it possible to organize a very cheap and very massive production of plastic QR-code tags that users could carry as real life key-chain dongles, wallet cards and even tucking them to real life objects to sell or donate.

That would be massive invasion move into RL. After all everyone is expected to use bitcoin with their smartphone and all wallet apps do scan QR-codes.

The QR-code tag ideally should be tough and durable. Black and White could be not a paint, but (laser?) etching or dipping to show other color layer in two layered plastic (have no idea how expensive that is).

The challenge as I see it is to be able to make them all unique cheap as opposed to mass-production of identical things.

Any experts in the field?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 12:28:32 PM

Hi,

I am working on a similar project

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84484.0

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 10:35:39 AM

Look in Thailand or China. ^^

But wouldn't have the user to submit his address first?

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 10:54:04 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2015, 10:11:56 AM by bitcats

They already exist. See my previous user av Smiley

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 04:14:13 PM

I'm not sure if that's what the OP had in mind. I'd think something more bling would be cool.

Actually gave me a cool idea myself  Tongue

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 04:19:41 PM

The challenge as I see it is to be able to make them all unique cheap as opposed to mass-production of identical things.
Any experts in the field?

How cheap do you need them to be?  A digital card printer can print black resin (virtually indestructible) on PVC card for about $0.15 ea.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 12:55:13 AM

You mean like this?

https://bit-pay.com/cards.html

I've got one on my keyring too.  credit-card durability plastic.  If you send me money I get a text message alert.  depending on my profile settings, the bitcoins can be forwarded to my wallet of choice, or cashed out and deposited into my bank account.

Best of all - if I lose this (or post it on the internet) the only thing someone can do - is give me money!

the front side is prettier

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 01:59:01 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2012, 02:27:05 AM by tbcoin

the bitcoins can be forwarded to my wallet of choice, or cashed out and deposited into my bank account.

Then the address of the card is really yours and depends of you that forwarded correctly to the client?

My deposit keychain, UV resistant and waterproof Wink

EDIT:
Also I receive a sms when it receives payments  Grin (blockchain notifications+mail2sms)

EDIT:
But I haven't a Porsche XD

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 02:07:44 AM

You mean like this?

https://bit-pay.com/cards.html

I've got one on my keyring too.  credit-card durability plastic.  If you send me money I get a text message alert.  depending on my profile settings, the bitcoins can be forwarded to my wallet of choice, or cashed out and deposited into my bank account.

Best of all - if I lose this (or post it on the internet) the only thing someone can do - is give me money!

the front side is prettier

Is that a set of keys to a Porsche? business must be booming Wink

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 05:39:16 AM

I've got the Nissan.  Alison has the fancy car Smiley

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 05:40:59 AM

the bitcoins can be forwarded to my wallet of choice, or cashed out and deposited into my bank account.

Then the address of the card is really yours and depends of you that forwarded correctly to the client?

My deposit keychain, UV resistant and waterproof Wink

EDIT:
Also I receive a sms when it receives payments  Grin (blockchain notifications+mail2sms)

EDIT:
But I haven't a Porsche XD

nice.  now if we can get a million people to do this, we've got a movement!  Make your own, or buy one, it doesn't matter.  just get a bitcoin keyring address!

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 05:49:22 AM

I wholeheartedly concur

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
TeslaUa (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:29:55 AM

you guys are awesome! Smiley
Narydu
Donator

Activity: 743
Merit: 510

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 11:49:48 AM

BitcoinQR.com is on sale! PM me.

TeslaUa (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 04:18:58 PM

I really want these things dirt cheap. To give them away basically for free. You got to give people something physical in hands instead of paper bills to get bitcoin going RL.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 06:41:35 PM

Are you planning on printing the corresponding private key with the card?  Or are you thinking the Bit-Pay model where the card is tied to a hosted wallet service?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

TeslaUa (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 07:53:44 PM

Are you planning on printing the corresponding private key with the card?  Or are you thinking the Bit-Pay model where the card is tied to a hosted wallet service?
No, I did not wanted to put a private key there, only public bitcoin address. tbcoin did Smiley And it should not be tied to any particular wallet service, interoperateability is important.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 08:50:04 PM

Are you planning on printing the corresponding private key with the card?  Or are you thinking the Bit-Pay model where the card is tied to a hosted wallet service?
No, I did not wanted to put a private key there, only public bitcoin address. tbcoin did Smiley And it should not be tied to any particular wallet service, interoperateability is important.

I guess I could have worded my question a bit better.  How will you provide the private key to the purchaser of the card then?  e.g., another card, or on a piece of paper or what?  And then will it be mailed with the card, or sent electronically?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 08:52:26 PM

I guess I could have worded my question a bit better.  How will you provide the private key to the purchaser of the card then?  e.g., another card, or on a piece of paper or what?  And then will it be mailed with the card, or sent electronically?

Well if you made them to order the buyer would already know the private key.
TeslaUa (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 08:54:15 PM

I believe the purchaser would just generate public addresses himself and keep his private key secret. All manufacturer need to know are public addresses after all.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: