Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:44:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How I Used Bitcoin To Feed The Homeless  (Read 2034 times)
bitcoinmax88 (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

The Visonary Behind VIRAL - Adam Guerbuez

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 03:49:55 PM

Hi Everyone, I thought this would be the right category to post in, however if a mod sees fit that this should go else ware, I understand.

Saturday night I wanted to use my bitcoin debit card for the first time to do something unique and show all the people out there who seem to believe that bitcoin is only for criminals or can not be used like paper money, that they are wrong.

http://youtu.be/iwJ9BJtC18M

VIRAL is my vision - MY Vision is VIRAL - My Twitter is @AdamGuerbuez
PROMOTE YOUR COIN OR SERVICE ON VIRAL AND HAVE THE WHOLE CRYPTO COMMUNITY Talking about it! Go to http://www.GetViralCoin.com/sponsors/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
leex1528

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 04:11:31 PM

Very cool that it works like that.  At least you are using your bitcoin for good too and helping those guys out.

Great to see a video like this in the community.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 04:29:04 PM

We need more charity in BTC, all crypto charity is done by doge community.
Beliathon

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2014, 04:31:50 PM

I'd like to see a "How I used Bitcoin to Eat the Rich" thread.

We absolutely do not need more charity. Charity is unethical. What the world needs now more than ever is solidarity among the working-poor, underemployed, and unemployed castes.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2014, 05:13:04 PM

We absolutely do not need more charity. Charity is unethical. What the world needs now more than ever is solidarity among the working-poor, underemployed, and unemployed castes.

Charities are not unethical on their own. Go tell the homeless from Sean's Outpost that they should starve to death while waiting for the solidarity/social justice/whatever.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
LewiesMan

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 05:13:53 PM

You could simply donate to seansoutpost, I have donated around 0.1BTC Smiley
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2014, 05:22:09 PM

Hi Everyone, I thought this would be the right category to post in, however if a mod sees fit that this should go else ware, I understand.

Saturday night I wanted to use my bitcoin debit card for the first time to do something unique and show all the people out there who seem to believe that bitcoin is only for criminals or can not be used like paper money, that they are wrong.

Thank you for sharing, I think you did a good thing.
Bottom line, those guys looked super happy to get a burger.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
Pierre11

Activity: 502

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 05:42:19 PM

Good on you. Congratulations!
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2014, 06:50:10 PM

Great job, very nice!

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 06:59:03 PM

You sir are a bit-hero.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
g27wr

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

I like guns.

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 07:38:30 PM

Very cool, this is a great use of BTC.

bitcoinmax88 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:16:22 PM

Very cool that it works like that.  At least you are using your bitcoin for good too and helping those guys out.

Great to see a video like this in the community.

Thanks a lot! I am making a second video tonight, using the money that the guys on Reddit sent me with changetip and going to buy more food and get hot coffee too from the coffeeshop, they sell a big container of hot coffee that has a spout on it, contains 10 cups, they give the cups, creams and sugars on the side. I will take the food and coffee around downtown and give it out to the guys I spot who like in the last video are just really down on their luck. It is snowing hard right now in Montreal where I live and cold, that makes things even worse for these people living on the street, so it motivates me more to go do this, again and again. I will upload the video to youtube later tonight and share it here and on reddit as well so you guys can see how it went again.

PROMOTE YOUR COIN OR SERVICE ON VIRAL AND HAVE THE WHOLE CRYPTO COMMUNITY Talking about it! Go to http://www.GetViralCoin.com/sponsors/
bitcoinmax88 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:24:06 PM

Charities are not unethical on their own. Go tell the homeless from Sean's Outpost that they should starve to death while waiting for the solidarity/social justice/whatever.

Agreed, the people who are in such a shitty position where they can not even feed themselves properly or have proper shelter to have a decent night's sleep are not able to wait things out while activism pushes the powers that be into check and change is made. They need to be looked after, they need humanity and compassion to shine through from those out there who are able.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:28:49 PM

Great job Wink , thank you .
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:34:18 PM

I like it, but can this card be acquired and used anonymously?
bitcoinmax88 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:38:35 PM

I did not have to submit ID to get the card. There are limits if you do not submit id. You can only withdraw $1000 usd total from ATM's for the lifetime of the card is the only limit imposed. With ID you can lift that limitation and take out as much as you want in cash from ATM's. Using the card at stores or even online has no limits.

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:41:01 PM

I did not have to submit ID to get the card. There are limits if you do not submit id. You can only withdraw $1000 usd total from ATM's for the lifetime of the card is the only limit imposed. With ID you can lift that limitation and take out as much as you want in cash from ATM's. Using the card at stores or even online has no limits.

Too bad there are such limits for unverified users. Anyway, where did you get the card and how long did it take to get it?
bitcoinmax88 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 08:49:20 PM

Too bad there are such limits for unverified users. Anyway, where did you get the card and how long did it take to get it?

I got it from Xapo it took about 12 days to get it in the mail, I am in Canada, they do not send to any American Addresses though, due to some legal regulations. It did not cost me anything either, even though they say it cost's $15 in their FAQ, I think they have not updated their FAQ in a long time that is why.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 09:33:42 PM

It depends on what is meant by "charity".  If you mean foreign aid, which comes from tax dollars, which comes from the threat of a gun, then sure its unethical.
If you mean money that someone gives freely and uncoerced, then it would not be violating anyone's individual rights because it was their decision to give it,
and therefore would be ethical.

Beliathon

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2014, 09:50:28 PM

Charity doesn't exist in a vacuum. I would never advocate for capitalism as we know it WITHOUT charity, that would be even MORE awful than our current system, but this question is missing the big picture.

The big picture is that it is immoral to use private property in order to alleviate the horrible evils that result from the institution of private property. The goal must be to create a world where poverty is impossible!

Try listening this time, you only need 5 open-minded minutes with Mr. Zizek to unlearn some of your programming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAMbpQ8J7g#t=6m20s

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: