Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:23:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: more bitcoin spam email (this could become a problem)  (Read 3349 times)
JJG

Activity: 70
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:32:35 PM

I've never said bitcoin is a bubble. All I said is that every time bubble is mentioned or something says the rise in price might be unwarranted, mob mentality kicks in and attempts to discredit, bury, or argue away the points.

Your comments here are a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Mob mentality implies irrationality. Care to explain why the mob is wrong?

I also want to know.

If someone at a mathematicians' conference suddenly yelled "two and two always equal pi!" and then everyone else in that public place shouted him down, the initiator is still wrong. The people shouting him down may constitute a mob, but they would be right.

I think it's very important that we ensure that the false idea that bitcoin is a bubble market does not gain traction. Because the fact is, it's not a bubble market. It is a highly speculative, fast-growing market. There will be peaks followed by dips, and people who enter at the peaks will lose money. But it will eventually level out at a price much higher than the dip. That doesn't make it a bubble, and people who say it is need to be corrected.

Well, kiba's post was edited after my reply. See my quoted segment for his original question.

Anyway, there is no right or wrong here. It's all speculation. Again, I'm not arguing which is right or wrong, all I've said is for everyone to be careful and keep your eyes peeled.

But again and again the mob mentality jumps on anything that isn't pro-bitcoin-going-up-forever and insists on explanations or proof or something. I can provide the same amount of evidence as everyone else as to the future value of bitcoin: NONE. I'm just pointing out that any posts about bitcoin value rising again and again here are welcomed with open arms, while anyone who says otherwise is immediately piled upon by the crowd. I haven't even said there is a bubble, just advised everyone to keep their eyes peeled, but I'm feeling the wrath of the forum anyway.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:34:56 PM

But again and again the mob mentality jumps on anything that isn't pro-bitcoin-going-up-forever and insists on explanations or proof or something. I can provide the same amount of evidence as everyone else as to the future value of bitcoin: NONE. I'm just pointing out that any posts about bitcoin value rising again and again here are welcomed with open arms, while anyone who says otherwise is immediately piled upon by the crowd. I haven't even said there is a bubble, just advised everyone to keep their eyes peeled, but I'm feeling the wrath of the forum anyway.

Somebody is always right and somebody is always wrong. The question is: which theories are right and how do we determine that?

w

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:04:16 AM

I sent the original email.

I don't know how it managed to arrive here, but it was definitely sent no further than to a modest handful of people in my personal address book, and intended to make my personal circle more aware of a project that I quite strongly believe in. It certainly was not part of some pump & dump attempt... I specifically said in that email that I did NOT advocate buying Bitcoins. I have no further Bitcoin holdings at the moment anyway (they have now all been given out, per the email).

nereer, if you PM me the name of your friend who received this, I'll send him an apology and/or clarify who I am. It's possible that he/she was either included *accidentally* or wasn't aware of that email address belonging to me, or both -- but I certainly know this person.
MacFall

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Agorist

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:12:33 PM

Point of information: if you support the project, then why don't you advocate buying bitcoin?

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:19:15 PM

Point of information: if you support the project, then why don't you advocate buying bitcoin?

Perhaps he doesn't want to be quotes as giving out investment advice ? Covering his legal ass perhaps? Smart I'd say.

Denicen

Activity: 46

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:39:28 PM

this is almost certainly the guy who bought up 200k BTC for the last couple of months. the only people who have any motive to send out spam emails like this are people who have 50k+ coins, and early adopters would have started doing this when a bitcoin was as cheap as dirt instead of right now. so it is very obvious who is doing this imo.
Shortline

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:53:09 PM

this is almost certainly the guy who bought up 200k BTC for the last couple of months. the only people who have any motive to send out spam emails like this are people who have 50k+ coins, and early adopters would have started doing this when a bitcoin was as cheap as dirt instead of right now. so it is very obvious who is doing this imo.

If you think bitcoin has a future, you are an early adopter. Also, read the thread.  Wink

I sent the original email.

You! Read this, quoted for truth because the only definite and unequivocal good thing you can do for bitcoin right now is this:

Bitcoin prices will only continue to rise if people begin using bitcoins for their every day transactions.
We should be focusing on making it easy for everyone to use bitcoins in every day life.

This will help us individually and the world as a whole.

The next time  you want to buy something,  ask the merchant to accept bitcoins.
w

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:12:54 PM

@MacFall/allinvain

It's not just a point of avoiding the doling out of legal advice; I actually DON'T think that my friends and family should buy Bitcoin. I want them to be aware that this is happening and to draw their own conclusions.

@Denicen

That's a brilliant idea, actually, but it isn't me. Wish it were. This email did not go out to more than 70-80 people and its appearance here is a (slightly) embarrassing coincidence. If I were seriously spamming for that purpose I sure wouldn't be here on the forum, explaining myself.

@Shortline

I spend quite a lot of time trying to encourage people to accept Bitcoin. I do it nearly every time I make a transaction online or offline (where it is in any way sensible). However, I don't believe that that is the only "good thing" someone can do. In the case of my personal email to friends and family, quite a bit of it was met by great conversation and the filling of newly opened wallets.
nereer (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Why settle for the lesser evil?

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 12:03:12 AM

@Denicen

That's a brilliant idea, actually, but it isn't me. Wish it were. This email did not go out to more than 70-80 people and its appearance here is a (slightly) embarrassing coincidence. If I were seriously spamming for that purpose I sure wouldn't be here on the forum, explaining myself.

Where are you from? You can PM me if you want to keep it private.

I am the OP and I am interested if 'one of your friends and family' is also one of my friends.

If you agree that Bitcoin needs a dedicated Q & A site please sign up for the Bitcoin StackExchange site!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: