Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:53:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Block reward changing to 25 BTC 6 months for now  (Read 3498 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 07:54:25 PM

Lol apparently the entire part  Cheesy

Wow I actually read it twice.....  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 02:05:38 AM

In fact, if the ASIC miners are smart, they bring their hardware online right after a difficulty adjustment.

Better to let them sit a while and get nothing during the first period they are available? Did you do the math on that?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:14:39 PM

I don't think the price of bitcoins are going to go up after the reward changes.  I would wager that they're going to remain the same or go down.  Markets don't like volatility or unknowns so with all the speculation, I think it's going to have a negative effect on the exchange rate.  The first thing I would figure happening is a difficulty change, as many GPU miners will shut down because of the reduced block reward vs. energy costs not being worth it. 

I think you got it wrong here. Markets have no emotions.
Look at markets here experiencing high volatility:

In fact volatility has, at least for bitcoins, no effect on price in terms of long term development. Price is only the expression of future expected value. Volatility rather determents the character of the underlying security and attracts the according crowd. High volatility markets are traded by risk takers and avoided by conservative finacial actors that look for predictable price developments. If you mean by markets: market makers, than let me tell you: They fucking love volatility! Just have a look at volatile times in contrast to stable times and the volume traded in those. More people trade in times of volatility at higher stakes.

About the price drop/rise after reward change: I think it can only positively reflect on prices as supply always goes down, while demand can be expected to go up for a long time. Maybe sudden surges will not be huge, but I expect a smaller rally for 1-2 month before and after the event, just because people think that other people think they will buy and because its such a widely known and expected event. The culminating rise in price may not be as stark, because even today traders take into account the rise in value thats expected and thus buy now to be ahead of the market, triggering a slow appreciation of price long before the supply shortage actually comes into effect.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: