Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:04:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can A Coins Name Alone Help It Succeed?  (Read 1503 times)
Jordan23 (OP)

Activity: 382
Merit: 311

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 04:59:36 AM

If crypto's really take off I believe there will be more than 1 or 2 that will survive. I believe instead of asking Visa, Master Card, Discover, or American Express, we will have the option to pay in multiply cryptocoins.

So would the name of a coin alone help it succeed? Even though they don't get much attention I think Globalcoin has a good name. Also, Netcoin.

Or does the name not matter and it's all up to the dev and community? I guess I'm trying to compare early websites like business.com that sold for millions based on its name.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 06:30:41 AM

No. Before it was maybe possible (in the times of LTC), but now it is not.
Due to the high number of coins, it is hard to succeed even with amazing features.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
caga

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 06:33:24 AM

If crypto's really take off I believe there will be more than 1 or 2 that will survive. I believe instead of asking Visa, Master Card, Discover, or American Express, we will have the option to pay in multiply cryptocoins.

So would the name of a coin alone help it succeed? Even though they don't get much attention I think Globalcoin has a good name. Also, Netcoin.

Or does the name not matter and it's all up to the dev and community? I guess I'm trying to compare early websites like business.com that sold for millions based on its name.

Sometimes coins with good names do succeed. However, for a coin to succeed, you need a good developer who works in developing and releasing the coin.

bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 06:40:26 AM

Well, the name alone appeals to certain people. How many people bought cannabiscoin, potcoin, etc...just for the drug association? Weed, dude! Cool!

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
caga

Activity: 238

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 06:48:36 AM

Well, the name alone appeals to certain people. How many people bought cannabiscoin, potcoin, etc...just for the drug association? Weed, dude! Cool!

Weed and drugs can be bought with other currencies as well. However, names like Netcoin and other coins with such names, can have specific applications. Except for one such coin, URO coin. I don't know why was that required.

mimsx11

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:22:10 AM

global and net coin name is pretty basic so i doubt those succeed
bobster

Activity: 199

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 12:46:55 PM

Maybe 2 years ago a coin with a good name can help it succeed but at this stage in altcoin development, a good name is simply not enough for it to succeed. A successful coin will require a few factors to help it succeed, such as technical innovation, active and committed developers, strong community support, large trading volume and so on. You may be interested to check out CoinGecko for some metrics that measure the above for many cryptocurrencies.
JackRipper

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 03:53:29 PM

A good name probably won't help a coin, but a bad name will definately hurt it.

freenxt.org

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 04:37:49 PM

I think what mostly defines the value of a coin are developer that can do both - developing and marketing.

In crypto people are asking for specs, how everything works and why one should invest. The name is not important once you put values behind the name.
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 04:42:23 PM

I don't know if the name of a coin can make it success, but I refused to mine boolberry at launch because the name was the most stupid I ever heard... guess I was wrong...
actually it doesn't matter... you can call your coin darkbitlitecoin (strange it doesn't exist) it won't have any influence even though it clearly shows how much imagination has the coin dev...

I guess will see soon lots of shadowbit, shadowlite, darkshadow, bitshadowlitedark because most coin dev only have the imagination to look at successful coin name rather than making up their own

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 04:52:11 PM

Microguy and Vlad2vlad would agree with you. Probably you and them are right, for Average Joe GoldCoin would be more appealing than let's say Quark.
Jordan23 (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 05:20:24 PM

Do you think coins could be bought from the developers because of a good name? I'm going to use Globalcoin as an example again. It has no real ongoing development or features that make it standout. It only has a good mainstream name. So if cryptos really took off do you think we would get to the point where investors or other developers start buying coins from devs just for the name?
cosmoo

Activity: 729
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:27:46 PM

how about DigitalCoin? that's about as literal as it gets. it's got competent development behind it and the economy isn't rigged the way most coins are.

it's one of my favorites anyway.
EyesWideOpen

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 07:47:02 PM

Proper nouns that failed.

Maxcoin - Max Keiser
Murraycoin - Bill Murray (without his approval)
Coinye - Kanye (without his approval)
Cagecoin - Nicholas Cage (without his approval)

Potential proper nouns that could succeed (use at your own risk of litigation).

BillGatesCoin
TrumpCoin
CarlosSlimCoin
WindsorCoin
MileyCyrusCoin

Potential proper nouns that will not succeed (use at your pleasure).

MoolahCoin
Karpelescoin
IconicExpertcoin
DavidLatapiecoin
Ramicoin
Pedobearcoin

bitboy11

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 09:36:02 PM

Absolutely not...it will require unique features and developments plus a strong community behind it.
Jordan23 (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 09:46:45 PM

how about DigitalCoin? that's about as literal as it gets. it's got competent development behind it and the economy isn't rigged the way most coins are.

it's one of my favorites anyway.

Digital is another great example.
BitJohn

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

@Bit_John

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 12:47:13 AM

Branding alone can definitely make a coin successful.
Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 02:57:32 AM

There's no point in talking to people about branding here. Look at the suggestions some have made, Globalcoin, Netcoin. Lol, guys, any cryptocurrency with the english name "coin" in it besides Bitcoin, will fail branding wise. "Insert here"Coin sounds immature, tacky, childish, and overall like play money. Bitcoin got by with it's name solely because it was the first cryptocurrency, not because it's name was spectacular(it's the opposite).

To have a really successful brand name, it must be easily recognizable, simple, short, unique, and one worded.

EX: Google, Yahoo, Bing, eBay, Apple, etc
A Cry for Help

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 03:32:15 AM

A coin more than anything needs proper marketing.
Jordan23 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 03:41:11 AM

There's no point in talking to people about branding here. Look at the suggestions some have made, Globalcoin, Netcoin. Lol, guys, any cryptocurrency with the english name "coin" in it besides Bitcoin, will fail branding wise. "Insert here"Coin sounds immature, tacky, childish, and overall like play money. Bitcoin got by with it's name solely because it was the first cryptocurrency, not because it's name was spectacular(it's the opposite).

To have a really successful brand name, it must be easily recognizable, simple, short, unique, and one worded.

What's so funny? Why are you here "talking"?? Get that checked out. I'm saying at a mainstream level, if cryptocurrencies take off, would the name or branding help it succeed mainstream. I think Globalcoin or Digitalcoin would more likely be adopted than methcoin or Murrycoin. It's a question. I appreciate you making yourself look like an ass. You must be real broke. See how I connected those dots? I mean we can post public addresses and move .00009876 BTC at an agreed time. I'll bet 100 BTC I have more. Wanna play lol. Too easy. Get well soon.
cheekychap

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 03:42:09 AM

A coin more than anything needs proper marketing.
It also needs a good dev who could build the coin and the environment for it.

Come-In-Behind

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 04:27:04 AM
Last edit: November 19, 2014, 02:07:40 PM by Come-In-Behind

What's so funny? Why are you here "talking"?? Get that checked out. I'm saying at a mainstream level, if cryptocurrencies take off, would the name or branding help it succeed mainstream. I think Globalcoin or Digitalcoin would more likely be adopted than methcoin or Murrycoin. It's a question. I appreciate you making yourself look like an ass. You must be real broke. See how I connected those dots? I mean we can post public addresses and move .00009876 BTC at an agreed time. I'll bet 100 BTC I have more. Wanna play lol. Too easy. Get well soon.

Are you on fucking drugs? Your entire paragraph seems like you typed it with your left hand up your ass.

Move .00009 btc at a time? Is that what you call rich? 100 BTC, oh you think you have more? Let's go, bring in an escrow. Wanna play. Too easy.

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 09:41:46 AM

Absolutely not...it will require unique features and developments plus a strong community behind it.

Not necessary true. Without good branding and proper marketing your coin could be the technologically most advanced or the one with the most benefits for the society, but apart from a few geeks nobody will be interested. PPC, Primecoin, Gridcoin, Curecoin are the best examples for this. Then take a look at DOGE. An average coin without any groundbreaking features but with an excellent branding and very good marketing. The results? Well, everybody knows or heard something about DOGE but outside BTT nobody has a clue what the heck is Primecoin.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 10:28:25 AM

In current market coin name will not help - too many coins in the market. For first coins - yes, then that was very important. The same is in other product/services markets too - except FMCG market and some other exception markets, like new cars markets.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: