Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:58:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Limit Total BTC?  (Read 2547 times)
felix_ (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 03:23:06 PM

I don't understand why the supply of BTC has been engineered to approach a set value at a set (varying) rate. Surely you'd want the number of BTC in circulation to rise and fall in response to value changes in order to stabilize the currency. The current system is likely to lead to massive deflation, which will only serve to enrich the early adopters at the expense of latecomers. Its a classic pyramid selling scheme.

Can anyone help me understand the thinking behind the 21M limit?

Cheers
felix
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
silversurfer

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 03:25:43 PM

Who will write the algorithm for changing the supply of BTC in response to some arbitrary value changes?  I like how the supply of currency is totally predictable.

That which is falling should also be pushed.
felix_ (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 03:36:08 PM

So the supply limit is a technical limitation of the algorithm and the massive deflation, pyramid scheme, etc is just something users will have to put up with?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 03:36:20 PM

I don't understand why the supply of BTC has been engineered to approach a set value at a set (varying) rate. Surely you'd want the number of BTC in circulation to rise and fall in response to value changes in order to stabilize the currency. The current system is likely to lead to massive deflation, which will only serve to enrich the early adopters at the expense of latecomers. Its a classic pyramid selling scheme.

It just mean that early adopters have higher purchasing power. Latecomers can save too and earn from the deflationary economy.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 03:36:48 PM

So the supply limit is a technical limitation of the algorithm and the massive deflation, pyramid scheme, etc is just something users will have to put up with?

The pyramid scheme have nothing to do with a deflationary economy.

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 03:38:06 PM

Microsoft stock is designed to go up in value. Early adopters were greatly enriched at the expense of late adopters. Is Microsoft (or any successful stock-issuing business) a pyramid scheme?  

"Increasing value" is not a sufficient requirement to classify anything as a pyramid scam or Ponzi scheme.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 03:41:46 PM

Monetary stability (which normally implies in price deflation) is good for the economy.

And besides that, who would want bitcoins if they inflate constantly? If you have the choice of storing your wealth in something that is constantly created or in something which offer is stable, which would you prefer?
felix_ (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:01:18 PM

It just annoys me that when I buy my first 1000GBP of bitcoins, I'm buying what probably cost the seller a few dollars several months ago. That's 1000GBP of real money they've got from me and in return for what? Basically nothing. Certainly nothing of any inherent value (unlike stock which produces dividends).
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:03:30 PM

Nothing has inherent value. Value is subjective, it's an opinion people have on stuff, not an inherent attribute of stuff themselves.

And if you think BTC have no value, why would you buy them? Keep your pounds in such case...
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:03:53 PM

Many stocks pay no dividends.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:06:16 PM

Yes, the same as gold, Google stocks etc. are pyramid schemes. You’re on top of the pyramid btw. Grin
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 04:08:46 PM

It just annoys me that when I buy my first 1000GBP of bitcoins, I'm buying what probably cost the seller a few dollars several months ago. That's 1000GBP of real money they've got from me and in return for what? Basically nothing. Certainly nothing of any inherent value (unlike stock which produces dividends).

Then do what I did: Bootstrap your way in by providing services or products in exchange for Bitcoins. Save said Bitcoins until the value raises.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 04:34:20 PM

I agree that the scenario you've outlined is basically what's happening. Why does it annoy you?

If you think bitcoins are too expensive now, don't buy them. But refusing to buy them because the seller will profit too much is just spiteful.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:48:13 PM

Oh noes, someone else makes money!
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:49:00 PM

I agree that the scenario you've outlined is basically what's happening. Why does it annoy you?

If you think bitcoins are too expensive now, don't buy them. But refusing to buy them because the seller will profit too much is just spiteful.

According to a lot of people on the forum, being spiteful is good.  I think early adopters should sell me Bitcoins at $1/each since otherwise would be anti-social.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: