Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:26:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Now A Good Time To Buy GPU?  (Read 2289 times)
cameronpalte (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:35:05 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure as many of you guys have noticed, GPUs are selling for extremely low prices - Radeon 290x that were once going for $500+ are now going for slightly over $200. And I was wondering - with mining at all time lows in profitability right now, sometime in the future, it is bound to become profitable again - and would it be worthwhile to purchase and set up rigs now for when that happens?

Bitcoin Facuet List - Free http://bitcoinsfaucetslist.blogspot.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
scryptolife

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:09:24 AM

Maybe if there will be a boom on coins using a GPU bound algorithm. I think the probability for that is pretty low.

GPUs aren't designed to be running on a 100 % capacity for a long time. A GPU will break pretty fast simply because it isn'n designed to take all that heat. Those algorithms that are the most profitable on GPU are really memory intensive so especially memory heats a too much. If you invest on a GPU it may not last so long that it would ROI.

An asic chip could be desinged for every algorithm so as mining business gets bigger we will also have asics for those memory intensive algorithms that are used to be mined on GPUs today. Also a lot of GPUs are already out there. I have a few and I only can gain a little more than I pay for electricity. My GPUs have already paid themselves back but if I bought one today, it probably won't.

Buying a GPU like any mining hardware today is speculation. One could as well buy coins and profit more.
scryptolife

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:23:24 AM

Plus, they are loud. I have to run my graphics card fans at 80 % speed. If I run them lower they will overheat. The noise is way louder than what my vacuum cleaner makes. For that reason I have a separate room for my miners in my apartment.
bensam123

Activity: 423

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 07:17:57 AM

The reliability bit is unsubstantiated BS. Plenty of people are running theirs 24/7 and it doesn't change anything. Render farms run 24/7 and that doesn't harm the cards. The only thing I've noticed is fans tend to die on certain cards, but that would happen anyway unless the system was shut off.

That aside, it's only worth buying GPUs right now if you enjoy mining at negative prices. GPU mining is pretty negative right now (from a power standpoint) as stupid people are using them for space heaters, which of course means in the spring everyone is going to be ridiculously negative. So no, very bad time to mine with GPUs.

As far as 'future profit', I think people are too optimistic because of what happened last Nov and are basing their purchases (and mining) on that right now. That is also retarded and like betting on the lottery. Unless you have some sort of inside information from all the whales in the world, I wouldn't bet on bitcoin doing anything but rising to 400 (maybe) and staying there, which would be a little more then power costs right now at current rates.
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 12:22:09 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure as many of you guys have noticed, GPUs are selling for extremely low prices - Radeon 290x that were once going for $500+ are now going for slightly over $200. And I was wondering - with mining at all time lows in profitability right now, sometime in the future, it is bound to become profitable again - and would it be worthwhile to purchase and set up rigs now for when that happens?
the problem here is that you are recommending to buy old gen gpu (I mean amd  Grin) which have a much higher power consumption than current gen.
So for the moment, it would be really difficult to make ROI on your investment considering market, electricity cost and resell value (which will be close to none on second hand product... there are dumb gamer but hey...  Grin ).
the r9 290x isn't a big hungry card as many think, but still at the moment mine sits in its box (well mostly because I prefer to program for cuda... and some temp issue and limited number of pcie port)  

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 09:15:17 PM

for gamining, sure, but maybe there are some coin that can still be instamined, i'm not following too much anymore

you can try with one 970
cameronpalte (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 01:30:23 AM

for gamining, sure, but maybe there are some coin that can still be instamined, i'm not following too much anymore

you can try with one 970

Except the difference is that the 970 can't be bought at extremely cheap prices unlike other (arguably better despite power usage gpus) like the r9 290x.

djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2014, 02:42:32 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2014, 02:59:42 AM by djm34

you can try with one 970

Except the difference is that the 970 can't be bought at extremely cheap prices unlike other (arguably better despite power usage gpus) like the r9 290x.
if you have free electricity... it's a deal go for it. lets say you put 5 r9 290 instead of 5 970 you power consumption is 300Watt higher.
if not ? well may-be a good deal on the short term, but on the longer term, it isn't a good deal... (but I must admit, I like to have the latest most powerful tech crap...)

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 09:09:39 AM

you can try with one 970

if you have free electricity... it's a deal go for it. lets say you put 5 r9 290 instead of 5 970 you power consumption is 300Watt higher.
if not ? well may-be a good deal on the short term, but on the longer term, it isn't a good deal... (but I must admit, I like to have the latest most powerful tech crap...)

with undervolting, i think you can do better!!!
but the power consumption it still too high!!!
so.. i think mining something like burstCoin will be more profittable...
burst mining have really little power consumption..
HDD are cheapest than GPU
HDD are resellable easily

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
awais3344_1

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 11:52:19 AM

gpu mining is dead. IMO you're better off buying some coins then trading them. Maybe btc trading, you could earn $10 a day or more. Or you could wisely trade alts. that earn you a lot more. But they're really risky too. But gpu mining will not be alive anytime soon, unless a huge uptrend occurs and litecoin reaches $10 or $15 mark. Its impossible since scrypt, x11 and rest of algos have their ASIC's already mining. And if they a little uptrend they'll mine and dump everything. So again, you're better investing in coins that you like. But this is very risky. Don't buy ICO and IPO coins as well.

░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
           ░▒█████████████████████▒░
         ▓███████████████████████████▓░
      ░███████████████▓░▒███████████████░
     ▓██████████▓▓▒░        ▒▒▓▓██████████
   ░███▓                               ▒███▒
  ░████               ▒▒▒               ████▒
 ░█████░           ░███████░            █████▒
 ██████░          ░██      ██▒          ██████
░██████░          ██       ██           ██████▒
▓██████           ██░ ░   ░██           ███████
▓██████         ████████████████        ███████
▓██████        █████████████████        ███████
░██████▒       ███████████████       ░██████▓
 ███████       █████████████████       ▓██████
 ░███████       ████████████████      ▓██████▒
  ▒███████▒       ░ ░     ░ ░       ░███████▒
   ░████████▒                     ▒████████▒
     ▓████████▓░               ░▓█████████
      ░██████████▓░          ▓██████████░
         ▓██████████▒     ▒██████████▓░
           ░▒██████████▒▓█████████▓░
                 ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 12:17:14 PM

GPU mining is dead, dont waste your money on GPU mining.
Shinzi Fuki

Activity: 40

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 06:58:30 PM

GPU mining is dead, dont waste your money on GPU mining.

Agreed unless you want it for gaming purposes. Better off to just buy the coins you want and if you must mine then rent something for the specific coin you want mined.
SpeedDemon13

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2014, 02:57:44 AM

If your really insisting on gpu mining, then go with the Nvidia GTX 750ti (best power per performance per hash gpu per cost). Otherwise, mining Burstcoin (Proof of Hard Drive Capacity), PoS mining (ie. SnowBalls, M coin, XQN, Hyperstake, etc) and Gapcoin (cpu mining) are probably the most profitable at the moment.

CRYPTSY exchange: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=9017 BURST= BURST-TE3W-CFGH-7343-6VM6R BTC=1CNsqGUR9YJNrhydQZnUPbaDv6h4uaYCHv ETH=0x144bc9fe471d3c71d8e09d58060d78661b1d4f32 SHF=0x13a0a2cb0d55eca975cf2d97015f7d580ce52d85 EXP=0xd71921dca837e415a58ca0d6dd2223cc84e0ea2f SC=6bdf9d12a983fed6723abad91a39be4f95d227f9bdb0490de3b8e5d45357f63d564638b1bd71 CLAMS=xGVTdM9EJpNBCYAjHFVxuZGcqvoL22nP6f SOIL=0x8b5c989bc931c0769a50ecaf9ffe490c67cb5911
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 06:31:16 AM

This is a stupid question to ask because nobody can predict the future.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
3x2
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 02:09:18 PM

But we all know the present and it ain't looking bright.
3x2
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 02:20:00 PM

But we all know the present and it ain't looking bright.

Which is the common mindset - how you make money is NOT following it. For example, the dumbasses who buy when they see huge green candles almost always lose money, while those buying when few others are tend to make money.
you think good times will come again  Grin ?
cameronpalte (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 11:29:37 PM

I'm doing curecoin without a profit but because it helps science and pays decently - but my electricity is $0.36/kwh.

Ignition75

Activity: 462

www.dashpay.io

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 06:03:38 AM

Unless you get free electricity or you spend a few BTC on a private mining software, don't bother, especially not with a 290x.

It's noisy and thirsty.

If you want to mine as a hobby, GTX 970 all the way...

If you're smart, you'll buy shares in a larger farm, no power bill and fantastic ROI.

The new generation have arrived and they brought their own currency...
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 08:22:54 AM

Unless you get free electricity or you spend a few BTC on a private mining software, don't bother, especially not with a 290x.

It's noisy and thirsty.

If you want to mine as a hobby, GTX 970 all the way...

If you're smart, you'll buy shares in a larger farm, no power bill and fantastic ROI.

Those GTX 970 are overpriced at the moment. And unless mining improves could be a bigger loss then AMD>

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██