Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:02:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The COLD Winter Chill... Its Effect on mining, profitability, and difficulty?  (Read 1192 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tss (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:24:39 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2014, 04:37:51 AM by tss

the current weather is making mining cheaper and easier for home users due to decrease in cooling cost

liquid technology like c1 and the old equipment that could be converted to liquid and benefit from the chill

is this the silence before the storm in terms of current level of difficulty increases or will we remain mostly quiet

in general at current prices will the cold bring an increase in difficulty?

if it doesn't will spring bring miner panic?

not bullish or bearish, just discussing :-)

edit: self moderated just for fun.  i probably won't delete any posts
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:22:03 AM

Like Gavin mentioned, a bitcoin powered electric blanket would give you warmth and financial security for a good night's rest.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 05:23:32 AM

Speculating or not I find it insane to think that something such as the weather could have an effect on the daily operation of a "financial system"  Roll Eyes

Surely that fact alone might be cause to think that maybe, something might be wrong somewhere Smiley

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
Willisius

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:28:27 AM

Like Gavin mentioned, a bitcoin powered electric blanket would give you warmth and financial security for a good night's rest.
This is true, however we had an exceptionally cold winter early this year as well. The result was likely that some miners were able to stay on for a few extra months.

I don't think this will affect the actual profitability of any miners unless they are about to become unprofitable and the owner can have a reason to continue to run the miner after the amount of bitcoin it generates exceeds the electric consumption as the owner would need to use less energy for heating
tss (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 05:08:56 AM

Speculating or not I find it insane to think that something such as the weather could have an effect on the daily operation of a "financial system"  Roll Eyes

Surely that fact alone might be cause to think that maybe, something might be wrong somewhere Smiley

i don't think an increase or decrease in difficulty would have any affect on the daily operation of the financial system.  what i do believe is some small miners who turned off their outdated equipment may turn it back on now and run through the winter.
OVRGRO

Activity: 478

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 05:23:08 AM

it's only winter for half the world...
Salazarian

Activity: 440

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 05:31:02 AM

To be honest I made a lot of profit during winter 2012. I used GPUs at that time and YES, they were still profitable Cheesy

So if you do a little bit of investment of using the warm, cleaned air, you can really get some $

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 05:31:09 AM

it's only winter for half the world...
geographically, not population-wise.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: