Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 12:22:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Study finds marijuana can increase your IQ  (Read 4939 times)
dank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 08:41:52 PM

www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/study-finds-marijuana-increases-your-iq

Originally seen on Cannabis Culture| A study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, examined whether marijuana lowered intelligence levels in users. The study was largely ignored by US media, while within Canada, the results seemed to depend on which newspaper headline you read.

Most headlines about the study said something like “Potheads become dopes” (Toronto Sun) or “Pot does rot your brain” (Edmonton Sun). Yet a few papers reported the opposite, announcing that “Marijuana Doesn’t Make You A Dope” (Calgary Herald) or “Smoking Pot No Risk To IQ” (Globe & Mail).

That a single study could produce such conflicting headlines says more about the integrity of the media than it does about the study itself.

Here’s how the study was done: A group of young, middle-class adults was assembled, consisting of non-tokers, light pot smokers, and heavy users. Light users were those who smoked less than five joints a week, heavy users toked an average of 33 joints each week. Researchers used urine samples to confirm marijuana use or abstinence.

Everyone in the study had been subjected to IQ tests between the ages of nine and twelve. They subjected this crew to follow-up IQ tests to see how their lifetime use of marijuana might have affected their IQ. They found that the non-smokers IQ’s stayed the same or went up slightly. The light smokers had an average IQ increase of five points, more than the non-smokers. That’s right.  People who smoked weed moderately experience and increase in their IQ scores by 5 points compared to people who didn’t smoke weed.  The heavy users had suffered an IQ loss of about four points.

Now this is interesting finding because it shows that if you smoke under 5 joints a week (lets say maybe 1 or 2 for example), then you would be a part of the study population that would display an increase in IQ scores compared to non-smokers.

As the study concluded:

“Current marijuana use had a negative effect on global IQ score only in subjects who smoked 5 or more joints per week. A negative effect was not observed among subjects who had previously been heavy users but were no longer using the substance. We conclude that marijuana does not have a long-term negative impact on global intelligence.”

The study further found that after abstaining from weed for three months the differences between the three groups’ IQ levels disappeared. The study was led by Dr Paul Fried at Carleton University in Ottawa, who told the media that they needed to be “very cautious” about the results.

What this study would seem to show is that moderate use of cannabis produces an increase in IQ, while heavy use produces a decrease. Further, the study shows that even heavy, long term use of cannabis produces no permanent harm to IQ scores.

This study refutes most of the prohibitionist propaganda about youth and cannabis use. That the “light users” who smoke less than 5 joints per week actually saw an increase in IQ scores indicates that cannabis may have enhancing effects on synthesizing information, comprehension, abstract thinking, insightfulness, creativity, and outside the box thinking.

From my experience, cannabis allows you to use a fuller spectrum of your mind than simply the logical left half of your brain that we are conditioned to use through adolescence.  It opened my mind to a new perspective that brought way for a higher understanding and integration of new information.

In school, I performed better when exercising the right half, creative side, of my brain in classes such as english.  I found a much higher understanding of my own studies outside of school.

The only thing that painted the full picture better, was the use of psychedelics that allowed me to access the Akashic records, a collective consciousness of all knowledge and wisdom.

How has cannabis effected the way you see life?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
lepirate

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

Garbochock

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 09:19:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N3KKFyFOcQ&spfreload=10
Rampton

Activity: 525

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 09:34:49 PM

I'm sure there's probably lots more studies that actually say the opposite too. Not sure I can take anything coming from a site called spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com seriously though as well  Grin.

hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 10:27:22 PM

I smoked pot sociably in my late teens and early twenties with friends. I enjoyed it at first when it made us laugh but found towards the end it just made me paranoid and lazy even for the next few days after. Stopping smoking it was one of the best things I ever did. My personality changed back to the active, sociable, outgoing person I was and am now, not the shy, nervous, paranoid, lazy wreck I had become.

Fair play to anyone that can operate as normal with pot in their system, I know I couldn't. Some of my friends still smoke it on a regular even daily basis 20 years on and have families, jobs etc. it hasn't affected them the way it did me but everyone's different I suppose.
Fugazi

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 12:42:40 AM

Yeah i'm not thinking that the article is true in that pot will raise IQ.  Roll Eyes
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 02:15:38 AM

I'm sure there's probably lots more studies that actually say the opposite too. Not sure I can take anything coming from a site called spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com seriously though as well  Grin.

Well sure.  Of course there's that lovely study that concluded marijuana kills brain cells.  You know, the study where they strapped gas masks to monkeys and suffocated them with smoke for 15 minutes until they died, then counted the brain cell loss.

Cause you know, every stoner and their grandma takes 15 minute bong rips these days.

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 02:26:16 AM

I smoked pot sociably in my late teens and early twenties with friends. I enjoyed it at first when it made us laugh but found towards the end it just made me paranoid and lazy even for the next few days after. Stopping smoking it was one of the best things I ever did. My personality changed back to the active, sociable, outgoing person I was and am now, not the shy, nervous, paranoid, lazy wreck I had become.

Fair play to anyone that can operate as normal with pot in their system, I know I couldn't. Some of my friends still smoke it on a regular even daily basis 20 years on and have families, jobs etc. it hasn't affected them the way it did me but everyone's different I suppose.

I agree that cannabis is best used medicinally, in moderation.  Smoke when it benefits your well being, not when its that time to smoke.  Anxiety can become present depending on different variables such as if youre smoking sativa vs indica, or if the weed is organic or not.  I used it for anxiety and it helped but weed is not something to use indefinitely for your issues, its something to be used at moments its needed.  After extensive use, it can bring back your anxiety.

I personally enjoy being sober these days with an occasional smoke, but I cannot say I regret ever smoking cannabis.  I probably would have killed myself (or tried) as a teen if Mary Jane didnt give me guidance and a fresh perspective on life.

The best thing about not smoking is the vividness of dreams.  But I cannot deny cannabis helped my mental and physical health tremendously.

I find that weed grounds you to an extent.  Smoke when she brings you up, not when youre already flying.

Moderation is key.

CoolRunnings21

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

Nenávist má sestru, to je závist.

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:58:43 AM

There is to much conflicting information.

There was just a report like 2 weeks ago that said it made you dumber.

NDotSO / Bourák
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 06:52:44 AM

I agree that cannabis is best used medicinally, in moderation.  Smoke when it benefits your well being, not when its that time to smoke.  Anxiety can become present depending on different variables such as if youre smoking sativa vs indica, or if the weed is organic or not.  I used it for anxiety and it helped but weed is not something to use indefinitely for your issues, its something to be used at moments its needed.  After extensive use, it can bring back your anxiety.

I personally enjoy being sober these days with an occasional smoke, but I cannot say I regret ever smoking cannabis.  I probably would have killed myself (or tried) as a teen if Mary Jane didnt give me guidance and a fresh perspective on life.

The best thing about not smoking is the vividness of dreams.  But I cannot deny cannabis helped my mental and physical health tremendously.

I find that weed grounds you to an extent.  Smoke when she brings you up, not when youre already flying.

Moderation is key.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say medicinally and moderation. I don't think there's any doubt that medicinally it can have huge benefits to the person or patient and if anything makes someone that's ill or in a difficult place feel better then that's great.

If it helped you through a difficult stage of your life and you say you probably would have killed yourself without it then there's not a lot more to say about its benefit to people that need it, you are a prime example. I'm glad it helped you an and its very brave for you to say that somewhere like this.

Me and my friends never did anything in moderation so it was usually mixed with copious amounts of alcohol and other 'party' substances which also had a bearing on its effects especially the following day. I don't regret smoking pot, we had some real laughs and ridiculously serious, in-depth conversations for hours about the most stupid things.

Looking back they were good times and I wouldn't change them at all. In fact if I could press a button and go back for a weekend I'd do it without a second thought Grin (probably most weekends actually).
Rampton

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 12:46:37 PM

Depends what their agenda is. People who are pro-pot will spin it one way and people who are anti-will try it the other. There's a lot of misinformation from both sides and fear-mongering from the anti-camp. Cannabis isn't a magic medicine for everything, but it has it's uses. I don't think it cures cancer as some claim, but it definitely helps with the pain and sickness of chemo.

Crypto_Junkee

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:26:03 PM

Depends what their agenda is. People who are pro-pot will spin it one way and people who are anti-will try it the other. There's a lot of misinformation from both sides and fear-mongering from the anti-camp. Cannabis isn't a magic medicine for everything, but it has it's uses. I don't think it cures cancer as some claim, but it definitely helps with the pain and sickness of chemo.

I'm pro-Cannabis even though I don't use it.  From a past life, I can say without a doubt that it definitely didn't increase my IQ, and learning was more of a struggle.  I do believe in it's medicinal properties, and as you've stated it's great for fighting pain and the sickness of chemo.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:41:24 PM

www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/study-finds-marijuana-increases-your-iq

From my experience, cannabis allows you to use a fuller spectrum of your mind than simply the logical left half of your brain that we are conditioned to use through adolescence.  It opened my mind to a new perspective that brought way for a higher understanding and integration of new information.

In school, I performed better when exercising the right half, creative side, of my brain in classes such as english.  I found a much higher understanding of my own studies outside of school.

The only thing that painted the full picture better, was the use of psychedelics that allowed me to access the Akashic records, a collective consciousness of all knowledge and wisdom.

How has cannabis effected the way you see life?

Cannabis also makes you hallucinate making you believe that you're smarter.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Rampton

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:47:29 PM

I'm pro-Cannabis even though I don't use it.  From a past life, I can say without a doubt that it definitely didn't increase my IQ, and learning was more of a struggle.  I do believe in it's medicinal properties, and as you've stated it's great for fighting pain and the sickness of chemo.

It obviously not going to increase your iq - I don't think any drugs can do that, but it may make you think more "existentially" or maybe make you think you're enlightened (which may or not be the case - see Vod lol), but I don't think it decreases your IQ either. Of course it can make you into a bit of a typical stoner but I also know lots of people who are the complete opposite to that. I guess it effects people differently. Carl Sagan was a notorious stoner and there are many celebs who seem to do pretty fine on it so it can't be all bad, but of course there are also the types that just sit on the couch and get baked and waist their life etc.

Oriannaa

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 06:21:27 PM

i dont think the claims are true, sorry to burst the bubble.

If this was true, then the article will be super viral.. and cnn would be covering the story.
Gervais

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 06:43:15 PM

i dont think the claims are true, sorry to burst the bubble.

If this was true, then the article will be super viral.. and cnn would be covering the story.

It's not true, but I don't think CNN is the barometer of true stories  Grin. They're mainstream media and don't cover plenty of other things that are true but are not public knowledge.
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 06:45:39 PM

Are they claiming weed gives you enhanced brain function like happens in the movie Limitless? Pretty sure weed wont make you smarter no matter what strain you smoke or how much. I'm sure it alters your perception and could highten certain artistic sensibilities or make you concentrate more on some specific tests but not much.
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 08:42:40 PM

Thank you hedgy and all who provided input.

I don't believe cannabis makes you smarter.  I do believe it is a mind expanding tool that can be used for you to increase your awareness.

Intentions are a large part of that.

Page1

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 12:41:39 PM

Really so you think you have surfed the astral plane, and what did you bring back besides bullshit?

I surf it all the time and do it with nothing but Ommm and meditation, drugs destroy your mind.

That's why I bought back 30 Mod prime algorithm, HelixQ (90 bit/byte OS for AI) and PDF what NASA uses to find new planets.

So astral surfer who is full of bs, what have you bought back from your drug induced trips?

NOTHING

You're destroying your brain

DRUGS ARE FOR LOSERS
bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2014, 02:24:04 PM

the authenticity and validity of that article and website is highly questionable.
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 04:32:55 PM

Really so you think you have surfed the astral plane, and what did you bring back besides bullshit?

I surf it all the time and do it with nothing but Ommm and meditation, drugs destroy your mind.

That's why I bought back 30 Mod prime algorithm, HelixQ (90 bit/byte OS for AI) and PDF what NASA uses to find new planets.

So astral surfer who is full of bs, what have you bought back from your drug induced trips?

NOTHING

You're destroying your brain

DRUGS ARE FOR LOSERS

You should try bringing back more wisdom and less knowledge.

Knowledge means little if you do not have the wisdom to respect others.  You'd think someone that has found a level of oneness with universal consciousness would not be so full of judgment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: