Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:07:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Miner as a job  (Read 5509 times)
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:05:07 AM

home mining is tough right now.  depending on your region and how much they charge for power.  you may be better off buying the coin instead.
This is true. Generally speaking the prices that mining manufacturers are charging for retail customers are higher then what can realistically be earned from mining (even before subtracting the cost of electricity). In order to be able to realistically ROI on physical miners you will generally need to buy at the very least tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, much more then the OP is considering purchasing. 
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 04:59:07 AM

home mining is tough right now.  depending on your region and how much they charge for power.  you may be better off buying the coin instead.
This is true. Generally speaking the prices that mining manufacturers are charging for retail customers are higher then what can realistically be earned from mining (even before subtracting the cost of electricity). In order to be able to realistically ROI on physical miners you will generally need to buy at the very least tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, much more then the OP is considering purchasing. 

I would agree power is a lot of the cost.  It's either in your favor or not.  Personally I am lucky to have lot's of space and decent priced electricity.

I just finished a little over 11k watts on my mining.... and I consider myself a hobby miner not job.   15 TH was fun to hit myself, but in the big pool of miners I'm a small fish still.
gingpark

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

-All Investment Has its Risks and Rewards-

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:18:37 AM

I believe that is true, pretty much home mining is not really a job but at the moment with the average electricity rate that must people have at home.

I say as a lot people have mentioned on the forums this is more of a hobby.

I had to just sell off my miners be off since the price dropped to $400. It just does produce enough to cover expenses.

I say its a job if you manage a large data center with all electricity running on solar and never pay electricity ever again.

I hope mining will lead to faster pace development in the solar energy.

Solar is just too high priced for the wattage needed with mining.    

I personally am lucky with low priced electricity and it's winter so free to super cheap cooling.

I have used winter to expand soon I will be up to 11k watts (approx 15T worth of gear).  Winter is making it possible for me personally.

Yes the price for solar is way to high and I can make guess to why that is but that is most likely a different topic in itself.

And you are lucky with low electricity I really do wish I had the same since even as a hobby, mining itself is pretty fun overall.

To a certain degree like a lot of times, hobby for what I believe is suppose to take a lot of money and it's stuff you don't even consider about ROI cause it is fun and what you want to do.

At the moment just feels like all you do is pay bills with nothing much left which to me definition of a job? Haha  Tongue

BTC: 1GuhJeyccy7Y39TCPLcBPxuYaXQotsWzfZ
LTC: LhrLbraxjQHy1r7EU37wJhWsHvTMVmnZm9
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 01:20:58 PM

I believe that is true, pretty much home mining is not really a job but at the moment with the average electricity rate that must people have at home.

I had to just sell off my miners be off since the price dropped to $400. It just does produce enough to cover expenses.

I say its a job if you manage a large data center with all electricity running on solar and never pay electricity ever again.

I personally am lucky with low priced electricity and it's winter so free to super cheap cooling.

I have used winter to expand soon I will be up to 11k watts (approx 15T worth of gear).  Winter is making it possible for me personally.

Yes the price for solar is way to high and I can make guess to why that is but that is most likely a different topic in itself.

And you are lucky with low electricity I really do wish I had the same since even as a hobby, mining itself is pretty fun overall.

To a certain degree like a lot of times, hobby for what I believe is suppose to take a lot of money and it's stuff you don't even consider about ROI cause it is fun and what you want to do.

At the moment just feels like all you do is pay bills with nothing much left which to me definition of a job? Haha  Tongue

I actually feel good with my low electricity.   I am doing more then paying just bills.  It is no longer guaranteed  ROI, but is very possible for me.
cowandtea

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:25:23 PM

I actually feel good with my low electricity.   I am doing more then paying just bills.  It is no longer guaranteed  ROI, but is very possible for me.

How low is it to consider it as cheap electricity? is 0.1 KWH good enough nowadays?

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:50:10 PM

How low is it to consider it as cheap electricity? is 0.1 KWH good enough nowadays?

That is what I'm at almost.   The big thing for me is over next few months winter weather.  You can pull that very cold air in and push hot air out for extremely cheap compared to AC in summer.

Make sure to check and make sure it does no get huge on tiers, some have a sliding scale depending on how much you use.
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 03:21:53 PM

Yet they sell hundreds of hardware each new generation.
What discount can you get if you buy 10 or 20 in bulk? 20%? Is it enough to ROI? Not always
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 04:17:14 PM

What discount can you get if you buy 10 or 20 in bulk? 20%? Is it enough to ROI? Not always

It depends but 10 or 20 most likely will not get you 20 percent.  Even 20 units is a drop i the bucket to any of the manufactures.
picolo

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 09:25:13 PM

It depends but 10 or 20 most likely will not get you 20 percent.  Even 20 units is a drop i the bucket to any of the manufactures.

Then to really save on the hardware you need to be a manufacturer, to pre-order or order 200 units or more.
harkonnen

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 10:15:46 PM

Get a job.

He wants a job that's why he's asking about mining. People are coin traders full time, what would you say to them?

They have enough assets that they don't need a job. And I have nothing to say to them.
To you, get a job.
harkonnen

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 10:18:01 PM

It depends but 10 or 20 most likely will not get you 20 percent.  Even 20 units is a drop i the bucket to any of the manufactures.

Then to really save on the hardware you need to be a manufacturer, to pre-order or order 200 units or more.

OP is a programmer, not a hardware engineer.
Make money by creating some killer apps.
Seketsuna

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 12:16:27 AM

I am a programmer and love programming. It's all I do. My dad wants me to get a job when I turn 16, but I dont want to. I am looking to spend about $1,000 (less if I could) on a miner and I want it to generate about $200 dollars a week on average. I have been looking at the SP20-Jackson miner which would generate about $140 a week and costs $1,190. Anyone have any suggestions on a miner. Thanks in advance!

Get a job! going to work teaches you alot and helps build who you are. $140/week i don't know where did you get that ridiculous calculation.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 12:23:08 AM

I am a programmer and love programming. It's all I do. My dad wants me to get a job when I turn 16, but I dont want to. I am looking to spend about $1,000 (less if I could) on a miner and I want it to generate about $200 dollars a week on average. I have been looking at the SP20-Jackson miner which would generate about $140 a week and costs $1,190. Anyone have any suggestions on a miner. Thanks in advance!

Get a job! going to work teaches you alot and helps build who you are. $140/week i don't know where did you get that ridiculous calculation.

If it made 140 a week I would sure be ordering a lot more.

5T or so would get you around 175 current market rate (but that does not take in account electricity or cooling).  To do this you will have much more then 1k of startup.
picolo

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 11:32:22 PM

5T or so would get you around 175 current market rate (but that does not take in account electricity or cooling).  To do this you will have much more then 1k of startup.

Bitmain offers a 2THS for 1200$; ANTMINER C1 Batch 2 375$ for 1THS.

SP20-Jackson miner 1.7THS at 795$ but it will mine in the region of 0.1/week so 40$/week

spondoolies has a SP35 Yukon Power November Batch 1 5.5THS for $3,595.00 and they are out of stock, if he waits for a year he may have a 5THS for 1000$
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 11:42:05 PM

SP20-Jackson miner 1.7THS at 795$ but it will mine in the region of 0.1/week so 40$/week

spondoolies has a SP35 Yukon Power November Batch 1 5.5THS for $3,595.00 and they are out of stock, if he waits for a year he may have a 5THS for 1000$

In a year though 5T will bring in a lot less though.  It would not meet his 140 per week requirement.
raskul

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 09:11:36 AM

5T or so would get you around 175 current market rate (but that does not take in account electricity or cooling).  To do this you will have much more then 1k of startup.

In a year though 5T will bring in a lot less though.  It would not meet his 140 per week requirement.

SP-Tech are reducing the price of the 1.7TH/s SP20 by a further $100 tomorrow thru monday for a cyber monday sale.
buy 3 @ $695 each.   Smiley

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
gingpark

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

-All Investment Has its Risks and Rewards-

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 10:07:23 AM

That is what I'm at almost.   The big thing for me is over next few months winter weather.  You can pull that very cold air in and push hot air out for extremely cheap compared to AC in summer.

Make sure to check and make sure it does no get huge on tiers, some have a sliding scale depending on how much you use.

For me 0.1 KWH would be a dream nowadays without the tier system. I haven't check out the rates for winter yet but for summer I was getting .25+ and plus there is that AC.

Which is just crazy due to the tier over here especially since I have to share the meter with other people as well so always ending up with the highest rates which starts at 60%+ usage. 

In the past though they allowed more KWH in the first tier which ranged from ~.1 - .15 but nowadays they reduced how long I can stay in that tier by 50% so pretty much instantly jumps to the highest tier.  Embarrassed

BTC: 1GuhJeyccy7Y39TCPLcBPxuYaXQotsWzfZ
LTC: LhrLbraxjQHy1r7EU37wJhWsHvTMVmnZm9
picolo

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 12:58:22 AM

5T or so would get you around 175 current market rate (but that does not take in account electricity or cooling).  To do this you will have much more then 1k of startup.

In a year though 5T will bring in a lot less though.  It would not meet his 140 per week requirement.

SP-Tech are reducing the price of the 1.7TH/s SP20 by a further $100 tomorrow thru monday for a cyber monday sale.
buy 3 @ $695 each.   Smiley

1700GHS/695$ is 0.0011/GHS and will mine less than 0.1 the first week
raskul

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 01:00:32 AM

stuff..

i don't ever buy miners with BTC but if you say that's right i'll concur.  Smiley

have a great weekend.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
picolo

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 01:02:38 AM

stuff..

i don't ever buy miners with BTC but if you say that's right i'll concur.  Smiley

have a great weekend.

If you buy with $ you still want to know if you will ROI in BTC so you have to compare the amount of BTC you could have bought with the amount of BTC that the miner will return.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: