Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:29:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchanges that don't "Know Your Customer"?  (Read 725 times)
PaulBx9 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 07:28:58 AM

I was going to try buying some bitcoins from mtgox when I noticed the message on the bottom of their page. Not sure I understand it but it appears they won't allow connections through TOR or VPN servers. Well, that won't cut it, for me. Half the reason I'm trying bitcoin is for the privacy.

Does anyone have a list of exchanges that won't be acting like a stinking bank in the US? That won't care if I access it through VPN servers or TOR?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 08:34:31 AM

Not that I am aware of

The exchanges operate at the Bitcoin /Fiat interface, most have to follow laws regarding the fiat bit in their jurisdiction.
Sad but true.....

join #bitcoin-otc on freenode, build some trust and deal with people not exchanges

Dont expect the people that run exchanges to break laws to help you be "private" Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
PaulBx9 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 06:38:07 PM

I'll give bitcoin-otc a look, thanks.

I tried finding a local trader with tradebitcoin.com, but it doesn't give me anything. I don't know if it is saying there are no local traders in either Portland or Seattle, or if it is simply broken. You'd think if it could find no one, it would tell you that.

I was looking at the exchanges on this page: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins
It looks like VirWoX allows payment using a debit card, if I am reading it properly.

I just want to get my feet wet; I'm not buying $10,000 worth of bitcoins. Maybe $50 for starters.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 06:42:02 PM

Try bitfloor.com. They didn't ask me for any personal information.
PaulBx9 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 08:11:39 PM

bitcoin-otc looks complicated, and I don't do IRC anyway.

I was looking at payment methods. Can someone tell me why debit cards are not on this list? I don't even know if chargebacks are possible with debit cards, but my guess is no, so they should be a pretty good method, eh?

There are so many esoteric methods to pay. It's funny it's so hard to get $50 worth of bitcoins, while I had no problem selling a $1200 gun on gunbroker.com, even with all the extra crap BATFE puts into the process.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 08:14:44 PM

bitcoin-otc looks complicated, and I don't do IRC anyway.

I was looking at payment methods. Can someone tell me why debit cards are not on this list? I don't even know if chargebacks are possible with debit cards, but my guess is no, so they should be a pretty good method, eh?

There are so many esoteric methods to pay. It's funny it's so hard to get $50 worth of bitcoins, while I had no problem selling a $1200 gun on gunbroker.com, even with all the extra crap BATFE puts into the process.

It's very easy to get $50 worth of bitcoins.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 12:47:38 AM

Why would you guess that? Of course chargebacks are possible with debit cards, for exactly the same reason they are with credit cards. There is absolutely no difference between a debit card and a credit card other than that the money comes from your bank account instead of the issuer's bank account, thus saving the issuer the trouble of sending you a bill every month.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
PaulBx9 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 02:48:25 PM

Maybe that wiki line should be changed from "credit card" to "credit cards and debit cards"...
HonorMe

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 04:47:53 PM

I think intersango is okay, they are pretty good
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: