Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:58:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I know that it's working?  (Read 1579 times)
alexdrans (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:17:53 PM

So I got my 5870 yesterday and I've had it going in Deepbit for a day (Previously had a 560Ti, just wasn't cutting it).

After reading the anti-Deepbit threads I've decided to try it alone for a month. I've just ordered another 5870 to double my hashing power and at current difficulty levels, calculators tell me it'll take 10 days on average to generate my first block.

How do I know that I've not done something wrong? Poclbm is happily mining away with a speed of 370mhash/s so I assume it's doing something. With Deepbit I knew it was working because I could see the results by the hour, but how do I know this is working?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
willaien

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:19:45 PM

So I got my 5870 yesterday and I've had it going in Deepbit for a day (Previously had a 560Ti, just wasn't cutting it).

After reading the anti-Deepbit threads I've decided to try it alone for a month. I've just ordered another 5870 to double my hashing power and at current difficulty levels, calculators tell me it'll take 10 days on average to generate my first block.

How do I know that I've not done something wrong? Poclbm is happily mining away with a speed of 370mhash/s so I assume it's doing something. With Deepbit I knew it was working because I could see the results by the hour, but how do I know this is working?

If you're seeing numbers (eg. 370mhash/s), then it's working.

It should show you if there are any invalid blocks that would cause you issues.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:20:38 PM

dont try it alone... go join one of the smaller pools :p you (at the moment) will make more money that way, and rebalance the pools

ZOMG Moo!
alexdrans (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:21:30 PM

dont try it alone... go join one of the smaller pools :p you (at the moment) will make more money that way, and rebalance the pools

What're the advantages? Don't you make less money in the long run in a pool?
alexdrans (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:22:00 PM

If you're seeing numbers (eg. 370mhash/s), then it's working.

It should show you if there are any invalid blocks that would cause you issues.

It's just the hash rate that's displayed, no errors or confirmations. Is this how it's meant to go?
willaien

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:24:30 PM

It's just the hash rate that's displayed, no errors or confirmations. Is this how it's meant to go?

What are you using? GUIMiner?

As for running in a pool, it allows you to stabilize your income. Instead of waiting 1/3 of a month (on average ! can be longer or shorter...) you see results much sooner.
Nesetalis

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:24:53 PM

if you can slap together a 2-3 ghash rig, you might be able to successfully mine alone.. but you might wait a long long time (months) before you finally crack a block.. or of course you might get lucky and crack one within seconds... but thats the nature of the beast.
as a big fish in a large pool, you will make plenty of money.. not that 400~ Mhash makes you a big fish, thats medium really. but it will be steady money. you will probably get a bitcoin or two every day depending on the size and hash rate of the group.

ZOMG Moo!
alexdrans (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:33:34 PM

What are you using? GUIMiner?

As for running in a pool, it allows you to stabilize your income. Instead of waiting 1/3 of a month (on average ! can be longer or shorter...) you see results much sooner.

No, I'm using command line poclbm.

Can you recommend a pool then? The botnet nature of Deepbit scared me away.
Nesetalis

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:35:15 PM

MtRed, BTCMine... either of those would be good right now i think..

ZOMG Moo!
willaien

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:37:24 PM

Of the 'larger' pools, you have DeepBit & Slush. There are a few smaller (50Ghash/s or so) linked below:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6667.0
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7760.0
alexdrans (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:40:40 PM

MtRed, BTCMine... either of those would be good right now i think..

I've gone with MtRed. Thanks for the recommendation.

So do you think I should go alone once I have around 1.5ghash/s? That should be when I get my second rig.
Nesetalis

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:41:21 PM

personally.. id just join multiple pools if i had more hashing power... i prefer making an income as opposed to playing the lottery.

ZOMG Moo!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: