Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:37:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [For Hire] Odd tech jobs (APIs, web pages, IRC bots etc)  (Read 2399 times)
Gazby (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 06:00:46 PM

Hi all!

I'm Gary. Professionally I'm a Web Developer (Node.js, PHP, HTML, CSS etc.) and Linux Systems Engineer (AWS, Linux, high-scale infrastructure etc.). I've recently immigrated to the United States (east coast), so I'm not currently full-time employed, and as such I'm looking for odd jobs that can be done remotely. I'm also able to volunteer my time to charities and non-profits.

I can help with odd jobs (API consumption/creation, IRC bots, web pages etc.) as well as larger endeavors (infrastructure deployment, system configuration/optimization etc.), though I'm afraid I can't help with mobile (iOS/Android) apps or creating new coins. Please feel free to drop me line by PM or IRC on Freenode (same nick, probably lurking in #bitcoin) if you think I could help out. Resume, references, LinkedIn and Github available on request.

Cheers.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 10:36:55 PM

Bump.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 01:54:45 PM

Bump.
thefalleng2

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:06:50 PM

You could try applying to jobs at Odesk.There are many scammers here.Be very careful even if you get offers.

Gazby (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:41:25 PM

Hi thefalleng2,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think those of us used to working with professionals only try sites like oDesk once Wink Never again! My bumping is not out of desperation or anything, it's just that things disappear into the 20th page of this thread in like a day, so I try to keep it up front when I think of it.

Cheers.
thefalleng2

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:48:42 PM

Hi thefalleng2,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think those of us used to working with professionals only try sites like oDesk once Wink Never again! My bumping is not out of desperation or anything, it's just that things disappear into the 20th page of this thread in like a day, so I try to keep it up front when I think of it.

Cheers.

Tell me something.Why do some skilled workers hate freelancing sites so much?

Gazby (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 03:34:04 PM

There's a couple of reasons:

• Because they're not professionals (a downside in and of itself) the posters have no technical know-how whatsoever (I want a website!...a domain? what? why would that cost money?! why can't i have myawesomewebsite.com?!)
  • However, the freelancer sites (by design) attempt to give the poster the impression that they are professional (and knowledgeable), which breeds ignorance and arrogance
  • Thus, they typically have ludicrous expectations (build a clone of this site in a day, why can't it scale to a billion users on shared hosting etc) and are fairly demanding about them
  • They tend to have very unrealistic cost expectations (this is borne partially of ignorance and partially of the abundance of labor available from low income countries)
  • They have poorly developed requirements (I want a wordpress. What's a theme?)

Alternatively, people looking for help on sites like BCT and reddit etc are often looking for help more-so than someone to do their bidding (less formal than the freelancer sites I guess), so are typically more open to suggestions and more respectful of the experience of the person they select to do the work. They're probably more technically adept (especially the cryto crowd). They'll usually have a more vested interest in the work since it's probably a hobby or personal venture. The pay will still be poor when compared to a professional engagement, but since the person is likely much easier to work with, and allows you more creative freedom in your work, it's worth it. Plus it's nice to just help a fella out, it's part of the reward.

Anyway, sorry for the long ranty post, the thoughts just kinda flowed lol.

Cheers.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:04:43 PM

Bump.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:50:30 PM

Bump.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 05:00:15 PM

Bump.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 06:27:12 PM

Bump.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 07:17:56 PM

Bump.
Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 02:29:43 AM

Can you make live Bitcoin prices graphs from 12 exchanges using their Apis. One request per minute?
If so email me
Btc@techist.net

Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 07:13:04 AM

Email sent.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 10:23:40 PM

Bump.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 11:21:53 PM

Bump.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:06:57 AM

Bump.
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 07:10:55 AM

Bump.
whitewhidow

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 11:57:24 AM

Hi thefalleng2,

Cheers.

Tell me something.Why do some skilled workers hate freelancing sites so much?

because their(the site) only interrest is money, in their pockets,  they will happely let you earn money on their site, but as soon as you try to withdraw it, sh!t hits the fan, and you will have to resort to personally go after the actual CEO of the company, weeks on end, and finally expose the whole store online, in order for you to finally get your funds (yes this happened to me , not on Odesk, but freelancer.com)

These guys are rediculous scammers (im sure some people dont get screwed there, but i know for a fact, most people do!)

And this is just from the freelancers view,   employers have another good bunch of reasons, not to user those services ..

TO WHOEVER STOL MY ACCOUNT AND WAS NOW USING IT AS HIS OWN,   FCK OFF PLEASE   
 - The REAL WHITEWHIDOW
Gazby (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 03:25:50 PM

The reddit freelancer sub is full of stories like this. It's just not worth anyone's time.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: