Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:12:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is wealth boring?  (Read 7283 times)
robertgoss

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 02:14:23 AM

from what i have seen people often say "More money More problems" , but i would like to experience this first hand with that being said "any one got spare 1 or 2 billion laying around?" i would like to try what it is all about  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Harry Hood

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 07:33:15 AM

from what i have seen people often say "More money More problems" , but i would like to experience this first hand with that being said "any one got spare 1 or 2 billion laying around?" i would like to try what it is all about  Grin

Sure, man, send my your Venmo username.

To the guy that said people with wealth think (at that point) that life is a game, maybe thinking about life as a game is what got them their wealth to begin with. What if more of us thought of life as a game...maybe we'd all be a bit better off (except for those losing said game.)

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 08:49:11 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2015, 02:21:28 PM by ObscureBean

Wealth is not as rosy as movies make it out to be, it's literally a different dimension where entirely different everyday physics apply. Sure you have tons more options than the average guy but you're also part of a much much more demanding circle. You won't hear this from many wealthy people but wealth is a heavy burden you learn to live with. Op's idea of spending the rest of his life in a meadow meditating is really really nice but in practice this would be something impossible (almost) to achieve. It's hard to explain but the gravity that pulls the wealthy is different from the gravity that pulls the poor. The wanting/desiring remains equal in both worlds. Being poor is made out to be a lot worse than it actually is. The reason for this is simple, there are a lot more poor people than rich people and consequently heart-wrenching stories from poor communities are more common. Truth is, being poor is not any worse than being rich.
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 12:20:36 PM

Wealth is not as rosy as movies make it out to be, it's literally a different dimension where entirely different everyday physics apply. Sure you have tons more options than the average guy but you're also part of a much much more demanding circle. You won't hear this from many wealthy people but wealth is a heavy burden you learn to live with. Op's idea of spending the rest of his life in a meadow meditating is really really nice but in practice this would be something impossible (almost) to achieve. It's hard to explain but the gravity that pulls the wealthy is different from the gravity that pulls the poor. The wanting/desiring remains equal in both worlds. Being poor is made out to be a lot worse than it actually is. The reason for this is simple, there are a lot more poor people than rich people and consequently heart-wrenching stories for poor communities are more common. Truth is, being poor is not any worse than being rich.

I agree, most wealthy people get there by literally letting work consume their every waking breath, example:

I worked for a guy worth around $50 million.  He worked non-stop, around the clock managing his businesses and properties.  He had a 300k boat...which sat in a boat house tied up.  Said he took it out once all summer cause he didnt have the time.

Furthermore, he needed in home acupuncture, and other treatments for heart problems and a minor heart attack (my guess brought on by stress).  Most would think that when you are worth $50 mil you're set, and in some sense you are.  But in the process of getting there, you need to deal with so much stuff that your life revolves around either you job/businesses/etc.  You lose a good portion of your life getting there.

After working for him, I realized I probably wasn't cut out for "wealth".  I am trying to achieve "financial freedom" (get rid of debt, house paid off, passive income streams, etc) but wealth, probably not.
HCLivess (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 12:44:16 PM

Wealth is not as rosy as movies make it out to be, it's literally a different dimension where entirely different everyday physics apply. Sure you have tons more options than the average guy but you're also part of a much much more demanding circle. You won't hear this from many wealthy people but wealth is a heavy burden you learn to live with. Op's idea of spending the rest of his life in a meadow meditating is really really nice but in practice this would be something impossible (almost) to achieve. It's hard to explain but the gravity that pulls the wealthy is different from the gravity that pulls the poor. The wanting/desiring remains equal in both worlds. Being poor is made out to be a lot worse than it actually is. The reason for this is simple, there are a lot more poor people than rich people and consequently heart-wrenching stories for poor communities are more common. Truth is, being poor is not any worse than being rich.

I agree, most wealthy people get there by literally letting work consume their every waking breath, example:

I worked for a guy worth around $50 million.  He worked non-stop, around the clock managing his businesses and properties.  He had a 300k boat...which sat in a boat house tied up.  Said he took it out once all summer cause he didnt have the time.

Furthermore, he needed in home acupuncture, and other treatments for heart problems and a minor heart attack (my guess brought on by stress).  Most would think that when you are worth $50 mil you're set, and in some sense you are.  But in the process of getting there, you need to deal with so much stuff that your life revolves around either you job/businesses/etc.  You lose a good portion of your life getting there.

After working for him, I realized I probably wasn't cut out for "wealth".  I am trying to achieve "financial freedom" (get rid of debt, house paid off, passive income streams, etc) but wealth, probably not.

Yes, I was thining the 2009 adopter-rich scheme. I understand that some people are wealthy though hard and relentless work and that it is so much entertaining that it consumes them. But then again, a balance should be kept and having a hard time managing capital can be a sign of inaptness in such ways as life management.

I feel very sorry for everyone indebted, I think that debt in the american way destroys economy

Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 12:51:12 PM

Well, being wealthy does not mean that you can have happiness. You can get bored even if you become wealthy. (my opinion of course) If I've had plenty amount of wealth, I would invest half of it on Bitcoin and some of it on emergency fund.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
omahapoker

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:20:36 AM

I think being rich is not boring. Often persons getting rich get new fears, like fearing to lose their money, having to deal with ticks and leeches that come out of all corners around your life and try to get a part of your riches.

Of course you can try to deal with that accordingly.

That's why you don't want fame as a rich guy. Unfortunately I'm far from being rich, but If I was I wouldn't tell. Also, a reason millionaires hang out with other millionaires only is to avoid generating jealously around less fortunate people which puts you into a dangerous situation since you become a potential target for thefts.

That's right. I once had a bigger amount of money and even single individuals in my family asked me strange questions about if i pay taxes on it and so on. As if i would avoid it. Didn't await that.

Being around rich people does NOT help to less jealousy. They maybe are even worse. At least some of them. Then it's simply the bigger house or boat or something.

There are billionaire families that life a relatively easy life with their kids. I think thats a good way to deal with it. You will have money and don't need to fear there but you can live a normal life.
omahapoker

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:25:45 AM

Actually I dont care with all charity, except Bill & Melinda Foundation. They have made some great charity for this world. I mean, as a richest person in the world, he dont need to scam people money to fund his foundation. No one is trustworthy except him imo

Actually i'm wondering about that choice. I would never trust him. Rich people often create charities for tax evasion. That way they can use their money for what they want instead giving it back to the people of their country which, in the form of government, would give the money to things that are valuable to the citizens. At least in the ideal case.

Especially bill gates is such a person. I mean he created this project where cheap computers were developed for africa.

I mean is missing computers the problem there? But the biggest thing for me is... they had windows on it. That's a huge investmen in his business then. He can use money that shouldn't be his anymore because it should belong to the public as taxes. He promotes windows and ensures that way that they learn windows and most probably will use windows later too. Becoming customers.

At the end he gave his company a push.

So no... he is the last person i trust. There are genuine charities where you can really check that all the money reaches. And they surely have better motives than this rich guy.
omahapoker

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:33:02 AM

I worked for a guy worth around $50 million.  He worked non-stop, around the clock managing his businesses and properties.  He had a 300k boat...which sat in a boat house tied up.  Said he took it out once all summer cause he didnt have the time.

Furthermore, he needed in home acupuncture, and other treatments for heart problems and a minor heart attack (my guess brought on by stress).  Most would think that when you are worth $50 mil you're set, and in some sense you are.  But in the process of getting there, you need to deal with so much stuff that your life revolves around either you job/businesses/etc.  You lose a good portion of your life getting there.

After working for him, I realized I probably wasn't cut out for "wealth".  I am trying to achieve "financial freedom" (get rid of debt, house paid off, passive income streams, etc) but wealth, probably not.

Some people only can imagine that form of life, i mean working nonstop. They would say that they did it all the time and they would not know how to life otherwise.

If i would be that heavy then i would not want to reach a billion. I mean for what? I would hire people that could do part of my job. Or i would sell my business and do something smaller so that i could have time with the people i love too.

I would never live my life working nonstop. I would feel it would be a waste of my life.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 10:53:54 AM

I'd imagine your stress levels would go way up due to always having to find ways to spend all that money Cheesy
Or finding ways to let your money grow.

desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:15:04 PM

It depends on the holder of the wealth.
centauribit

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 09:41:52 PM

When you have enough money for your life, new kind of problems starts to poppin around you. I ain't seen a millionaire living without problems.

fenican

Activity: 1394
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 11:01:17 PM

$1M is boring.

$100M is not.

$1B would be damn fun.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 11:02:57 PM

When you have enough money for your life, new kind of problems starts to poppin around you. I ain't seen a millionaire living without problems.

Wealth always attracts trouble, especially socialites from what I've heard the moment you become wealthy everybody suddenly wants to be your friend and of course they're all a bunch of sychophants disguising their real intentions, must be pretty exhausting. Then of course there are communists and governments out there who think they have every right to steal that wealth just because you have it.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:00:46 AM

It depends, in my opinion.

If you had to work constantly to get to said wealth, I would likely find it boring and not worth it, since there are far better things to do other than having some number on a screen.

If you came by the wealth with relatively little effort, then I don't think it would be boring because you'd be able to have more experiences that you can remember later on.

If it's a combination of the two, as long as it's not just for a number and it's for an actual purpose, I highly doubt it would be boring, but that's just my opinion.
tadakaluri

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 05:19:51 AM

Quotes on “How much is enough?”

Will stimulate you to think in a more informed way about what wealth and well-being means to you and what is important in achieving both. In turn, this should help you to master your mind, a key element to successful investing and living in the modern world.
— co-author Andrew Bradley

Will make you re-think how you live your life… it brings to life research in behavioural finance and psychology in a very practical way.
— Professor Shlomo Benartzi, co-chair of the Behavioral Decision Making Group, The Anderson School at UCLA

Not just about wealth creation but achieving a well-planned life and happiness. A good combination of mental and financial well-being.
— Dr Antony Kidman AM PHD, Director, Health Psychology Unit, University of Technology, Sydney

So many of us work long, hard hours to provide for our families and children-often long hours away from home, maybe taking on extra jobs at times or hoping to get a raise in an effort to make our lives richer financially–working harder at the expense of sleeping and taking good care of ourselves in order to have extra money.

We always enjoy earning money - there is no boring when we build our wealth.
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:50:33 AM

Wealth always attracts trouble, especially socialites from what I've heard the moment you become wealthy everybody suddenly wants to be your friend and of course they're all a bunch of sychophants disguising their real intentions, must be pretty exhausting. Then of course there are communists and governments out there who think they have every right to steal that wealth just because you have it.

Wealth can buy protection as well. Smiley
As long as you are healthy, everything is fine. The other problems can be solved with wealth.

timothythomas

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:07:29 AM

if you have too much you will have to spend a lot of time to protect that too much , m sure people who are actually rich spends that much time sipping wine somewhere ... there wifes doo enjoy though but the man incharge hardly able to sleep Smiley  Grin
aakashsangwan

Activity: 994

PUGG.io

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 07:50:34 AM

if you have too much you will have to spend a lot of time to protect that too much , m sure people who are actually rich spends that much time sipping wine somewhere ... there wifes doo enjoy though but the man incharge hardly able to sleep Smiley  Grin
Yes, their lifestyle is so much high that they always think of making more money to maintain that lifestyle.
There are many cases of actors and actresses that were rich in past and now they've become poor.

jones techbit

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 11:45:42 PM

There are probably some 'rich' people out there who are genuinely happier than some 'poor' people out there and vise versa. Economic status does not determine happiness necessarily

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  

Jump to: