Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:02:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: download bitcoin.org problems  (Read 969 times)
Tom1004 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 11:41:21 PM

Got to a Pointo of synchronizing stuck a 3 years 13 weeks behind..says  No block source available..stupid question but now I'm connected to Google Chrome and it's been stuck for a day, should I have tor running instead?
Tom1004 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 01:12:48 AM

Should I log into tor browser first? How do I enter different ip addy to try to find connection, I have none.
I am not real computer literate but I could use a step by step on how to fix this...I followed all the instructions step by step, was 5 years back, got to 3 years 13 days..stuck here for twork days and says no block source available..the green is still glowing in and out in the bar at bottom...I sure could use some help...please
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2014, 09:34:05 AM

Got to a Pointo of synchronizing stuck a 3 years 13 weeks behind..says  No block source available..stupid question but now I'm connected to Google Chrome and it's been stuck for a day, should I have tor running instead?

I doubt you are connected to google chrome.

#1 Chill, Tor will not help, it will slow things down.

Should I log into tor browser first?

No, nothing you can do on a browser will help bitcoin sync faster. Well unless asking questions here maybe.

How do I enter different ip addy to try to find connection, I have none.

The IP to sync with is not the (frist) problem to solve.

I am not real computer literate but I could use a step by step on how to fix this...I followed all the instructions step by step, was 5 years back, got to 3 years 13 days..stuck here for twork days and says no block source available..the green is still glowing in and out in the bar at bottom...I sure could use some help...please

Syncing takes time. This will be fixed better in one of the next patches, at least thats what we hope.

Ok lets get to the sync faster guide:

#0 understand why you want bitcoin core. This might not be the right wallet for you, there are other wallets that do not need to sync and offer the same level of security. Start here [1]

#1 if you want bitcoin core, download the data torrent it will download a huge bootstrap.dat you just put in the same folder where your wallet.dat is. Make sure you have ~twice the size of the blockchain on that HD free as the bootstrap will take >20 Gigs and the blockchain data itself will also take >20 Gigs of space. The torrent file and more info can be found here [2]

#2 connect to a fast node for the rest of the way. Usually you do this by starting bitcoin core with the option -connect=IP
E.g. c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -connect=IP from windows run (Win + R) or bitcoin-qt -connect=IP from linux terminal (you might have to cd into the correct folder [3] and run with ./bitcoin-qt -connect=IP)

Dont skip the torrent part. No dot just connect to one of these nodes. Its very nice of them to even give me the data as this might put heavy trefficload on the servers and the torrent is faster. Bitcoin-core will have to analyse and verify the downloaded data, but thats also the case if you sync over the network and its only limited by your hardware.

List of fast nodes:

Code:
last updated 2014.11.20
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP               - location             - owner[1]  -  speed      - info/stats page[2] - testnet
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eldinhadzic.org  - LA, USA              - eldinhadz - 1000 mbit/s - no                 - no
84.200.34.113    - Freinsheim, DE, EU   - Newar     - 1000 mbit/s - yes                - no
185.45.192.129   - Amsterdam, NL, EU    - anon      - 1000 mbit/s - /node.php[3]       - yes
213.165.91.169   - Germany, EU          - shorena   -  100 mbit/s - yes                - no
50.7.68.180      - New York, USA        - Newar     -  100 mbit/s - yes                - no
5.9.24.81        - Germany, EU          - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
178.79.173.71    - United Kingdom, EU   - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
107.155.104.194  - Dalls, USA           - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
106.185.32.195   - Japan, Asia          - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
94.242.57.173    - Russia, Asia         - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
[1] refers to a bitcointalk.org username or anon if requested
[2] same IP, port 80 or path/port given
[3] work in progress

[1] https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
[2] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0
[3] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: