Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:44:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins Missing, No Record Of The Transactions, Pls Help  (Read 3497 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 09:45:42 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2012, 10:05:47 PM by psy

I clicked details for each unconfirmed transaction in my wallet, and then took a screen shot, saved as jpeg.  Remember, these are the transactions that deducted from my wallet but didnt go anywhere

The only logical explanation I can think of (if this is even possible), is that somehow I got credited for the same transaction twice without actually being sent that amt (unless someone made a mistake and sent me 80btc out of nowhere).  When I opened my wallet and realized I had nearly twice the btc I had before, i sent the entire balance of my wallet between about 10 different transactions, but all to the same place (I broke the transfers up because I was worried about something weird liek this happening).  All transactions were deducted from my wallet balance, but only 78btc of 160 actually made it, while the other 82 are either non existant....or.....I don't know, but I do have the details for each and every transfer that seemed to fall off the face of the earth.

This means that overall, I have 2 less btc than I started with, but seemingly 82 less.   make sense?

Also, I was charged a fee for almost all the transactions, including ones that didn't make it...

I don't know, really. Your only hope is pywallet, like I said. Delete the bad transactions, or even delete them all and let the bitcoin client get the transactions that are on the blockchain and leave you with the remaining funds.
I could try doing that for you, but there's always the trust issue, and I can't be sure if it will work.
Only one time I deleted 1 transaction from my wallet, so I'm not a professional, far from it.
At maximum, if I did it, I'd have to send you the funds that could be recovered to a new wallet you would create, as you couldn't trust this one anymore, even if I fixed it.

EDIT: Well, the good news is that I grabed a backup of my wallet and deleted all transactions on pywallet. Restarted bitcoin-qt and no balance or transactions were showing. Closed it and this time I restarted it from the command line with the -rescan command and it retrieved all my transactions from the blockchain and my balance was there, just like before. It could work on yours also.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCOnetime (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 10:05:28 PM

Thanks, I guess i need to know how to do this stuff so ill give it shot, well see what happens

thanks
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 10:06:13 PM

See my edit above.
Which operating system do you use? Maybe i could write you a guide with what I done. But if you use windows that'll be tough because I don't remember the correct paths for stuff.

Well, the first step is you install https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet
It has instructions there on how to install it for Windows, Mac and Linux.
BTCOnetime (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:40:14 AM

how do you do the -rescan command, command prompt?  do i need to install pywallet first?  is the rescan thing different from jsut loading the blockchain to a new wallet?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:47:33 AM

The -rescan is done from the command line, yes. It's a feature included with the bitcoin software, no need for pywallet. But that won't solve your problem. It looks at the blockchain to see if any transaction that include your addresses are there. The transactions that are giving you the problem aren't on the blockchain, but are recorded on the wallet as unconfirmed, so -rescan will just skip them.

You really need to delete the transactions first and do the rescan after that.
BTCOnetime (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 06:00:58 AM

ok ill try, and let it go over night, get back to you tomorrow, thanks
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 04:51:58 PM

Or import all of your privatekeys into an online service like blockchain.info's online wallet, generate a new wallet using your bitcoin client, and send everything from your online wallet to your new wallet again.

This seems like the simplest solution.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
BTCOnetime (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:17:05 AM

UPDATE:   so I tried messing around with pywallet without much luck.  I found my oldest wallet.dat file that I had stored on my drive and tried loading it.  When the bitcoin client was done syncing, the 2 missing btc were sitting right there, and all the unconfirmed transactions were gone.  It was a bit more than 2 so perhaps I was credited my fees for the transactions that didn't go through.  Anyway, very strange thing, seems to be all good now.  Where in your opinion is the safest place to keep them? not sure how much I trust this wallet...  and again, thanks for all the help
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: