Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:31:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Circle is it a game changer?  (Read 2819 times)
mymenace (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 05:43:37 AM

Is this finally what we need for mainstream consumer use.

A wallet that connects to my bank account and all my bitcoin is insured, mobile app on the way.

https://www.circle.com/

Grin
theblacksquid

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:24:26 AM

This is a solution for mainstream US consumers, but not really geared towards the rest of us, unfortunately.

Support Decentralized Commerce - OpenBazaar.org
Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
mymenace (OP)
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:37:01 AM

This is a solution for mainstream US consumers, but not really geared towards the rest of us, unfortunately.

Is it not the beginning, I have been in contact with circle and yes they are going to expand into the global market and yes i can use it now.

Game changer being an online wallet/app on your smartphone insured against theft and loss that everyday consumers can use when at the shop paying for goods and services, just like your credit card or online bank account

is there anything else out there with this added security as opposed to a bitcoin wallet app on your phone that is not insured

Grin
Biitcoin

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

Zichain

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2014, 06:37:31 AM

Why US only ? because of bank account or what

MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:38:47 AM

Maybe in few months, they will include other countries.
mymenace (OP)
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:39:19 AM

Is it not the beginning, I have been in contact with circle and yes they are going to expand into the global market.

Game changer being an online wallet/app on your smartphone insured against theft and loss that everyday consumers can use when at the shop paying for goods and services, just like your credit card or online bank account

is there anything else out there with this added security as opposed to a bitcoin wallet app on your phone that is not insured

Grin
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:42:26 AM

Is it not the beginning, I have been in contact with circle and yes they are going to expand into the global market.

It's still a centralized wallet right?  They have the private keys?
mymenace (OP)
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:59:43 AM

It's still a centralized wallet right?  They have the private keys?

General consumer would not be concerned either way same as a bank is centralized what the game changer is is your bitcoin is insured and the future prospect of using your phone as a wallet

if we want to see bitcoin hit mainstream for the non technical consumer can this not do it?

Grin
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 07:28:06 AM

Yes, Circle will eventually help adoption quite a bit. It'll enable the next wave, whatever the trigger may be. Availability in more countries will help (much cheaper remittance solution).

The fact that you can create a Circle account and have on-blockchain bitcoin within minutes is fantastic.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 09:27:26 AM

A game changer would be people actually taking responsibility for their finances instead of relying on others to do so for them =/

That being said, an insurance will only insure against a certain event as long as it is profitable. So on average, you always lose out on insurances..
torry28
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 10:59:26 AM

Circle is good option for mainstream consumer if there is some noticable discount when paying with Bitcoin - otherwise mainstream consumer does not have any incentive to use Bitcoin over other payment method - I doubt mainstream consumer will use Bitcoin because of the idea of decentralized freedoom currency.
mymenace (OP)
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 11:10:11 AM

Circle is good option for mainstream consumer if there is some noticable discount when paying with Bitcoin - otherwise mainstream consumer does not have any incentive to use Bitcoin over other payment method - I doubt mainstream consumer will use Bitcoin because of the idea of decentralized freedoom currency.

from the website

..."We don't charge fees when you convert funds to or from bitcoin with a linked bank account, when you store your bitcoin, or for bitcoin transactions."...

Grin
Billbags

Activity: 280

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 04:12:56 PM

Circle has helped me out in so many ways since it came out. It's so quick to change BTC to USD or USD to BTC. I had to help a family member out...I was offshore and my niece was stuck with a bad battery in her car....I sent her btc to her circle account, she cashed instantly for USD and was able to purchase a battery and make it to college the next morning. I think it cost her $2.10 to convert BTC to USD straight to her debit card.

Note: No more risky back alley BTC trading for me.

Update: I could have used the gyft app to buy a Sears gift card with bitcoin so she could get a battery installed, but I wanted her to have some pocket money also.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
SatshiFan

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 05:00:40 PM

A wallet that connects to my bank account and all my bitcoin is insured, mobile app on the way.

insured how? what happens if they go bankrupt with huge amounts of coins disappeared? customers get back most of it 1.5 years later, if the insurance company is still around?
Monica80

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 05:19:22 PM

insured how? what happens if they go bankrupt with huge amounts of coins disappeared? customers get back most of it 1.5 years later, if the insurance company is still around?

Great question.. we have seen many companies come and go leaving a trail of tears...

Who insures this company? What are the terms.

So this is the Paypal of the Bitcoin world. How does Circle make money? Can they explain that?

"You shouldn't have to pay fees to use your own money. We don't charge fees when you convert funds to or from bitcoin with a linked bank account, when you store your bitcoin, or for bitcoin transactions." <-- from the website.

Gentlemen Bitcoin: 1GuwSfwVryEhB15vWMx4j52yMPg6EwSAat
Sexy Sexcoins: S66C4UMnpdwEWDgGPLFa94QRTsnvnwGk1b
axel2078

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 05:39:20 PM

Coinbase provides the same thing, but is available in many countries outside the U.S.

Billbags

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:03:09 PM

Yes, Circle will eventually help adoption quite a bit. It'll enable the next wave, whatever the trigger may be. Availability in more countries will help (much cheaper remittance solution).

The fact that you can create a Circle account and have on-blockchain bitcoin within minutes is fantastic.

This.
Also, it is perfect apart from the weak $500 monthly limit.  Sad

I have a $1000.00 a week limit. I'll look into how they determine it, seems to be different for different people.

Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
Billbags

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:05:10 PM

Coinbase provides the same thing, but is available in many countries outside the U.S.

Coinbase is not instant unless you have a certain credit card. Most people have to wait 4 business days for their BTC/USD.

Billbags

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:18:40 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2014, 06:30:45 PM by Billbags

Great question.. we have seen many companies come and go leaving a trail of tears...

Who insures this company? What are the terms.

So this is the Paypal of the Bitcoin world. How does Circle make money? Can they explain that?

"You shouldn't have to pay fees to use your own money. We don't charge fees when you convert funds to or from bitcoin with a linked bank account, when you store your bitcoin, or for bitcoin transactions." <-- from the website.

They answer a lot here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=2&list=PLBmuvWZ9W8pnAJtGum416SudbuEmJsLor&v=jMuAZkoVMog

Note: on my bank statement Circle shows up as "US financial institution Circle(with some gov financial license number), not just Circle.com. I think this is going to solve the issue my last bank had with large sums of money going to and comming from just Coinbase.com's bank account.(Im sure coinbase probably has these license by now also, I'm not bashing them)

The only time I get fees with Circle is when using it with debit card and of course miner tx fees.

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:57:28 PM

Coinbase is not instant unless you have a certain credit card. Most people have to wait 4 business days for their BTC/USD.

Those fucks (excuse my french) told me the max weekly limit for everyone is $500...how did you manage to pull a $1000 a week limit?
Mind you, I have my debit (business) and bank account (business) attached...

Coinbase gives me a $1k weekly buy-instant limit which is lovely...my favorite exchange thus far.
Just attached my PNC points/reward credit card.  Cool
Coinbase typically allows up to $3k per day for one level of info sharing and $50k for the highest tier which is helpful during rallies if one has quite a bit to offload in a short period of time.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: