Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:28:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can i mine with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT?  (Read 19962 times)
BitSnail (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 09:19:42 PM

Im not sure. Im a newbie in Bitcoin Mining, i read tons of pages about this btw.
Can i mine with this graphic card?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vssa

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 09:26:49 PM

visit http://alturl.com/tqa5i and http://alturl.com/8dy69 and see for yourself
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 09:27:23 PM

Yes, although you will spend 5x as much in electricity as you make in Bitcoin, which will be a few pennies a day.

guiminer would be the easiest way to mine with an Nvidia card.
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 09:31:18 PM

Done that in my noob days, got around 3mh/s which is a complete waste of time and money.

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 07:53:49 AM

In short answer : Yes, but you shouldn't.

Long answer:
It can be used for mining, however the design of all Nvidia chip GPU's don't work well compared to ATI, due to their differences at a hardware level.
At a software level, the mining process mostly uses OpenCL to make use of the "Shaders" (hardware) on the GPU. Nvidia and ATI both have these, but Nvidia took the approach of a few complex ones and ATI too the approach of lots of simple ones. The mining process is relatively simple, thus having lots of simple shaders is very efficient for this task. Nvidia more complex shaders in some areas are less efficient and thus far there has been no way to compensate for that. There is in the region 5-10 less bitcoins generated out of a similar power (watt) consuming processor between nvidia and ati. This makes Nvidia GPU's so inefficient you actually spending money to make these bitcoins rather than turning a profit, which generally speak you will always do on an ATI GPU.
Both GPU markers, choose these different paths quiet a few years ago and ATI kept theirs when they realise they had adopted a secondary market outside of gamers, Nvidia already had the TELSA to bring in the more Scientific use of GPU so were not going to change their design.

BitSnail (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 09:59:03 AM

Long answer:
It can be used for mining, however the design of all Nvidia chip GPU's don't work well compared to ATI, due to their differences at a hardware level.
At a software level, the mining process mostly uses OpenCL to make use of the "Shaders" (hardware) on the GPU. Nvidia and ATI both have these, but Nvidia took the approach of a few complex ones and ATI too the approach of lots of simple ones. The mining process is relatively simple, thus having lots of simple shaders is very efficient for this task. Nvidia more complex shaders in some areas are less efficient and thus far there has been no way to compensate for that. There is in the region 5-10 less bitcoins generated out of a similar power (watt) consuming processor between nvidia and ati. This makes Nvidia GPU's so inefficient you actually spending money to make these bitcoins rather than turning a profit, which generally speak you will always do on an ATI GPU.
Both GPU markers, choose these different paths quiet a few years ago and ATI kept theirs when they realise they had adopted a secondary market outside of gamers, Nvidia already had the TELSA to bring in the more Scientific use of GPU so were not going to change their design.

Thanks you. For now, i will sell stuff.. maybe the next year i will buy one of these ATI cards. Wich one its better for mining?
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 10:56:14 AM

Well, just bought a 5830 which can provide 300mh/s but I'm slowly building the mining rig - I'm on a short budget for now. I have an old board with pcie and wanted to use that one. But now I need a PSU (the ones I have don't suite the thing and don't even have the 6 pin pcie connector yet), RAM and a CPU Fan.
In my actual computer I have a 5550HD and it is pumping some modest 60mh/s which is not bad for the power consumption and noise level.
But you can find the best answer in https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison.
One of these day's, I'll move to FPGA/ASIC!

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 04:12:41 PM

Long answer:

Thanks you. For now, i will sell stuff.. maybe the next year i will buy one of these ATI cards. Wich one its better for mining?

This wiki, keeps track of popular mining cards and the results from them.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#Popular_Mining_Cards

Generally speaking the 5xxx series has been very popular and now retains a good amount of value since they haven't devalued much in the last year. However the 7xxx series (latest series) is a bit more efficient, however they will devalue by next year, possibly ruining it's resell value if that is something you plan to do (many do). So by next year you can probably pick up a 7970 for a good price. It changes all the time, so their is no good answer that far ahead.

Also by next year, FPGA and ASIC could become more mainstream, due to a change in difficulty of the blocks and reduction in value from them, so buying GPU's for the purpose of mining might not be ideal any longer.

aqrulesms

Activity: 373

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 04:43:48 PM

Long answer:

Generally speaking the 5xxx series has been very popular and now retains a good amount of value since they haven't devalued much in the last year. However the 7xxx series (latest series) is a bit more efficient, however they will devalue by next year, possibly ruining it's resell value if that is something you plan to do (many do). So by next year you can probably pick up a 7970 for a good price. It changes all the time, so their is no good answer that far ahead.

Also by next year, FPGA and ASIC could become more mainstream, due to a change in difficulty of the blocks and reduction in value from them, so buying GPU's for the purpose of mining might not be ideal any longer.

The 7970 can compete with the FPGA miners out there.  I can undervolt and underclock and manage to get 500 Mhash/s at 80 watts a card.  That's already very competitive with the BFL single.

If you have cheap electricity and the price of BTC is able to adequately increase after the December block reward halving mining with 7xxx is still a very, very good choice.

██ ██    ██ ██    ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██  ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██    ██ ██ ██      ██    ██ ██ ██
   ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄
   ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██    ██  
▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
     ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
    ██  ▄  ▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄  ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
        ▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
        ▀▀  ▀ ▀▀ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀  ▀  ██ ██
         ██ ██ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ██ ██ ▄ ▄▄
           ▄▄  ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀      ▄▄ ▀▀
           ▀▀    ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀
UCHAIN  ▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
.████████████████████████.
██████████████████████████
███▄     ███████     ▄████
█████     █████     ██████
█████ ▌    ███▌     ██████
█████ █     █▌ ▐    ██████
█████ ██      ▐█    ██████
█████ ███    ▐██    ██████
████▀ ▀███   ███    ██████
██▀     ▀██ ██▀      ▀████
██████████████▀     ▀█████
███ ▀████████▌        ▄███
███    ▀████▀        ▄████
███                 ▐█████
████                ▐█████
██████              ██████
███████           ▄███████
██████▀         ▄█████████
████▄▄      ▄▄████████████
.███████████████████████.
█████████████████████████
███████████████████▀▀▀███
█████████████▀▀▀ ▄    ███
████████▀▀     ▄█▀   ▐███
████▀▀       ▄█▀     ████
█▀         ▄██      ▐████
████▄▄▄  ▄██▀       █████
███████████        ▐█████
██████████         ██████
██████████ ▄██▄▄  ▐██████
█████████████████████████
.███████████████████████.
BCMan

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 05:07:58 PM
Last edit: June 13, 2012, 10:51:47 PM by BCMan

Long answer:

The 7970 can compete with the FPGA miners out there.  I can undervolt and underclock and manage to get 500 Mhash/s at 80 watts a card.  That's already very competitive with the BFL single.

If you have cheap electricity and the price of BTC is able to adequately increase after the December block reward halving mining with 7xxx is still a very, very good choice.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'll better grab 7970, than bfl single, because it performs same good (even if it has worser mh/j, I would still bought it, because I pay 0.05$ per kwh), cheaper, has 2 years warranty (single just 6 months, what a joke) plus I can sell it later, instead of used bfl brick, which will be almost impossible to sell.
hmongotaku

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 09:25:37 AM

I tried it on my 8600 gt.. it's very slow. I think a 6 core cpu is faster

Ram

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:14:53 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2012, 09:29:27 PM by Ram

Nvidia cards arent really worth mining.

I've actually gotten pretty decent mhash from my 3930k, but i'm sure the cpu would not take kindly to running with it 24/7.
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:58:49 PM

Yes you can, and you will lose money every day it is mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: