Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:08:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT IS THE BEST USB KEY?  (Read 1798 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 02:01:47 AM

Any suggestions? Like really badass, terminator-style USB keys? (Pictures?)

And this: do you copy a wallet with your backup keys?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
axel2078

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 02:24:48 AM

I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.  You don't need a "badass, terminator-style" USB key to store your bitcoin (private keys).  Any run of the mill USB key will work.  If you want extra safety, you can encrypt the USB drive.  Just put the usb key somewhere it won't be easily found.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 03:32:59 AM

I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.  You don't need a "badass, terminator-style" USB key to store your bitcoin (private keys).  Any run of the mill USB key will work.  If you want extra safety, you can encrypt the USB drive.  Just put the usb key somewhere it won't be easily found.

I think it's pretty clear that I'm looking for a USB key a T-1000 would take one look at and say it was badass. Why is that difficult to understand?

j/k

No but seriously...

Go with a name brand with good rep if you are storing keys.   If you are going for "novelty" usb might be low quality.

Most important thing to make it badass.... .encryption.   Use it.
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 03:41:28 AM

Not novelty, ofc. I just assumed not all USB's were created equal and this was my way of getting ideas without actively searching Google. Serves me for being lazy Smiley

Anybody (everybody) have multiple backups for the same wallet?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 03:43:39 AM

Geez. Tough crowd. You did notice this is in the Beginners and Help section, yes?

Wink

xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 8266

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 03:47:13 AM

Geez. Tough crowd. You did notice this is in the Beginners and Help section, yes?

Wink

What are you using it for?
oldutiao

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 03:49:17 AM

i dont know Grin
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 8266

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 04:27:28 AM

Not novelty, ofc. I just assumed not all USB's were created equal and this was my way of getting ideas without actively searching Google. Serves me for being lazy Smiley

Anybody (everybody) have multiple backups for the same wallet?

Sure on every type of media CD, flash drive, tape drive and private keys on paper and stored in a safe.
axel2078

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 05:42:34 AM

I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.  You don't need a "badass, terminator-style" USB key to store your bitcoin (private keys).  Any run of the mill USB key will work.  If you want extra safety, you can encrypt the USB drive.  Just put the usb key somewhere it won't be easily found.

I think it's pretty clear that I'm looking for a USB key a T-1000 would take one look at and say it was badass. Why is that difficult to understand?

j/k

No but seriously...

Fair enough.  Check out ironkey.  http://www.ironkey.com/en-US/encrypted-storage-drives/250-basic.html

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 08:11:13 AM

j/k

No but seriously...

Fair enough.  Check out ironkey.  http://www.ironkey.com/en-US/encrypted-storage-drives/250-basic.html

I never could bring myself (100 dollars for 2 gig approx - lowest priced model) to buy one but I love the idea of a self destruct after 10 tries:

Self-defending IronKey Basic drives are hardened to stand up to malware or mischief, so confidential data stays where it belongs. And after 10 failed consecutive password attempts, the device will either self-destruct or reset (if previously enabled) back to its default state.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:23:52 AM

They all are made in one country - in China, I think may be USB with good trade name is better than without. But in fact it is a small problem of course with some China made USB quality.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 04:03:40 PM

This the T-1000 of USB Keys:

https://www.bitcointrezor.com/

...well not really usb key, but if you want a badass secure Bitcoin hardware wallet, then this is the one.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
LewiesMan

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:44:06 PM

Yep, apparently after I made a thread about Trezor people have been telling me it's worth it. So they are pretty useful.
axel2078

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:48:47 PM

This the T-1000 of USB Keys:

https://www.bitcointrezor.com/

...well not really usb key, but if you want a badass secure Bitcoin hardware wallet, then this is the one.

That's kind of cool I guess, but I'll stick to my encrypted paper wallet and save myself $119.

Edit: I just realized that this would be more for actually making transactions than simply saving bitcoin. If you make bitcoin transactions often, I could see how this would be useful.  I'm confused on how it works though.  Do you have to connect it to a computer via USB every time you want to make a transaction?

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1073

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 06:47:22 PM

What is a USB key???

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:29:44 PM

What is a USB key???

They are talking about a usb thumb drive with a private key.  OP was wanting a safe usb and "cool"
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:44:37 PM

What is a USB key???

They are talking about a usb thumb drive with a private key.  OP was wanting a safe usb and "cool"

Then he wants a physical wallet.

There is a topic about physical wallets here in the beginners and help section somewhere
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 08:22:38 PM

use more than 1 usb key.

BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 01:22:47 AM

What is a USB key???

Then he wants a physical wallet.

There is a topic about physical wallets here in the beginners and help section somewhere

I'll try to find that physical wallets thread and link it here. Thanks

BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 01:27:37 AM

use more than 1 usb key.

This could be my second one: http://www.ironkey.com/en-US/encrypted-storage-drives/250-basic.html

I want my bits secure and backed-up. I don't really expect to spend them anytime soon, so not sure about Trezor

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: