Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:59:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoins as email attachment?  (Read 8016 times)
chaord (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 05:35:41 PM

I'm wondering if bitcoin's design currently allows for other transport mechanisms?  When I think about taking BitCoin mainstream, I can't help but think about the pervasiveness of email.  Even my grandfather, and some farmers have email addresses and know how to send small attachments.  Can bitcoins safely be sent and received as an attachment in an email?

I know there are some issues with this concept (and of course anonymity would be compromised), but I feel like if we could start sending and receiving BTC through the normal channels that everyday people use, we could really boost their value and presence.

The Open Transactions post http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=847.0 by fellowtraveler got me thinking about it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2010, 07:57:41 PM

I'm wondering if bitcoin's design currently allows for other transport mechanisms?  When I think about taking BitCoin mainstream, I can't help but think about the pervasiveness of email.  Even my grandfather, and some farmers have email addresses and know how to send small attachments.  Can bitcoins safely be sent and received as an attachment in an email?

I know there are some issues with this concept (and of course anonymity would be compromised), but I feel like if we could start sending and receiving BTC through the normal channels that everyday people use, we could really boost their value and presence.

The Open Transactions post http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=847.0 by fellowtraveler got me thinking about it.

I imagine it's at least theoretically possible to move the data needed through email. Others can better tell you if it's practical. Using services like MyBitCoin and BitMail can help people who aren't savvy enough to download a program.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 09:13:17 PM

It is theoretically possible to run Bitcoin through email.
You probably wouldn't want to run a 'full' client but it should be possible to construct some kind of email gateway that would proxy transactions for you.

vess

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2010, 09:33:34 PM

Why not just a program that escrows the private key of an address, and generates an e-mail, a-la paypal: "You've been sent money!"

"You've got bitcoins! Click here to claim them."

Alternately, you could embed a password-protected private key that the bitcoin client can import -- say a .bitkey attachment: "Attached is a bitkey. Click it to open it in BitCoin and claim your money. (Password sent in a separate e-mail)."

I'm the CEO of CoinLab (www.coinlab.com) and the Executive Director of the Bitcoin Foundation, I will identify if I'm speaking for myself or one of the organizations when I post from this account.
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 10:13:06 AM

There is already: http://www.bitcoinmail.com/
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 11:14:41 PM

Bitcoins as an e-mail attachment was discussed on this thread too:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=737.0

There were a number of technical solutions found to the problem, none of them too difficult and certainly it could be done in such a way that would be friendly to somebody new to Bitcoins or even done as a promotion of sorts.

For myself, I prefer something that uses a peer to peer network directly rather than depending on a central 3rd party website, but that is also a solution.
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2010, 01:14:13 PM

One simple solution would be to let the Client generate a new address but tell him not to use it, then transfer the coins to that address, and then send the details (pirvate key, address, ...) to the recipient, using whatever transport you want. The recipient then imports the data into his client and can receive the coins Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2010, 09:36:54 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2010, 09:59:34 PM by fellowtraveler

I'm wondering if bitcoin's design currently allows for other transport mechanisms?  When I think about taking BitCoin mainstream, I can't help but think about the pervasiveness of email.  Even my grandfather, and some farmers have email addresses and know how to send small attachments.  Can bitcoins safely be sent and received as an attachment in an email?

You could issue a Bitcoin-backed currency on an Open Transactions server. (Actually the same issuer could issue the same bitcoin-backed currency onto multiple Open Transactions servers.)

You would be able to prove at all times whether the issuer actually has the bitcoins to back the issue, since the bitcoin trail is publicly audit-able.

From there, you can write cheques in Bitcoins and email them to people. You can withdraw cash in Bitcoins and email it to people. You could also use Bitcoins to trade on markets for other asset types (I'm coding markets and 2-way trades right now, as well as re-occurring billing.)

You could also do account transfers with Bitcoins, and get Cashier's cheques denominated in Bitcoins.

The whole idea with OT is to allow you to do these things with ANY asset type -- and multiple asset types.  Bitcoins is really only an example. But a very interesting one, since Bitcoins are publicly audit-able.

-Fellow Traveler

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: