Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:43:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's going on with this address? (spending bitcoins that haven't arrived yet?)  (Read 1326 times)
Lorenzo (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 05:32:30 AM

How is it possible for an address to have an initial transaction of -0.1 BTC before receiving 0.1 BTC?

https://blockchain.info/address/1E984zyYbNmeuumzEdqT8VSL8QGJi3byAD

It seems that both transactions were made seconds apart and were included in the same block.

What's going on here?
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 05:54:15 AM

I think the order are wrong  Grin
And the first & second transaction only have different 2 second

Or rather, blockchain.info have made small mistake

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
opossum

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 05:54:51 AM

The address was not really able to spend any inputs prior to it receiving an input. If you look closely you will see that, according to blockchain.info it spent an input two seconds prior to it receiving the input that it spent. This was likely the result of the 1st received transaction being propagated by a node and then the spending transaction being propagated prior to the 1st transaction being fully propagated. Blockchain.info's node likely "saw" the 2nd transaction first

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

Lorenzo (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 06:02:49 AM

The address was not really able to spend any inputs prior to it receiving an input. If you look closely you will see that, according to blockchain.info it spent an input two seconds prior to it receiving the input that it spent. This was likely the result of the 1st received transaction being propagated by a node and then the spending transaction being propagated prior to the 1st transaction being fully propagated. Blockchain.info's node likely "saw" the 2nd transaction first

Ah, sounds reasonable then. I guess whoever controlled that address decided to move the coins only a second or two after receiving them while the receiving transaction was still unconfirmed. That sending transaction reached Blockchain.info first before the recieving transaction was able to reach it.

I've found that transactions tend to be visible (albeit unconfirmed) almost instantaneously after being broadcast so whoever controlled that address must have been in quite a hurry.
icem3lter

Activity: 281

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 10:19:08 AM

I guess whoever controlled that address decided to move the coins only a second or two after receiving them while the receiving transaction was still unconfirmed.

With Bitcoin Core, you can create more transactions when your disconnected from internet. After you connect, all transactions are broadcasted at once

Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2014, 02:22:27 PM

Good catch, this looks to be like the most reasonable explanation to me.

SatshiFan

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 10:38:23 PM

Both transactions will probably confirm at the same time, so essentially they were simultaneous. And bitcoin supports transactions that build on each other so they have no problem to confirm. I can sign a transaction and "fund" it a few minutes later. They are both unconfirmed anyway until they can both confirm.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 11:33:22 PM

Ah, sounds reasonable then. I guess whoever controlled that address decided to move the coins only a second or two after receiving them while the receiving transaction was still unconfirmed. That sending transaction reached Blockchain.info first before the recieving transaction was able to reach it.

I've found that transactions tend to be visible (albeit unconfirmed) almost instantaneously after being broadcast so whoever controlled that address must have been in quite a hurry.
It is not uncommon for someone to receive a transaction and then instantly spend the same funds to another address(es). This could potentially make it more difficult to trace the origin of particular inputs as additional inputs (from other addresses) are often added to the transaction and the output amounts will not match either of the input amounts. Sometimes this is also done in order to expedite the confirmation of a transaction as someone could potentially send a 2nd TX with a larger TX fee on the 2nd transaction and if the miner wants to claim the 2nd TX fee, they will need to confirm both transactions, this is a way that the receiving party can effectively pay the TX fee.

snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2014, 11:46:35 PM

My thoughts on it being spent immediately: it could be a BTC payment received for an order on a unique generated payment address, and then immediately "forwarded" to the owner's wallet- such as with blockchain.info's Receiving Payments API.

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 06:10:07 AM

Both transactions will probably confirm at the same time, so essentially they were simultaneous. And bitcoin supports transactions that build on each other so they have no problem to confirm. I can sign a transaction and "fund" it a few minutes later. They are both unconfirmed anyway until they can both confirm.
Both did confirm at the same time so for blockchain purposes both did happen at the same time. Blockchain.info also attempts to keep track of the time the network first "saw" the transaction and in this case they clearly made a mistake
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: