Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:21:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Instawallet to btcpak - failed transfer, missing coins  (Read 1087 times)
SupSF (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 04:49:54 AM

Late this afternoon PST, I attempted to make a transfer from Instawallet to BTCPAK (14CgjhQpiFePcCRfoE1stE39uEUBAN7kqQ) and got a very non-verbose error in red writing from instawallet, but the transfer never made it to btcpak, and so far, emails haven't been returned (I do understand it's not business hours, but I'm sweating this one hard). I realize it hasn't been THAT long but it's gonna be a really long night, I need that money.

Has anyone else has had money disappear during withdrawal from IW? Like it deducts from your account but doesn't go anywhere? I'm sure all info was correct, I do this all the time.. I guess I'm just really anxious to hear back from Instawallet, previous issues handled by btcpak happened very quickly.

I guess just wondering about any similar experience and hoping for an easy resolution in the am.. I only hesitate to provide the wallet address as I'm still learning the do's and don'ts of BTC, and would rather not open up any doors to fraud - am I accurate in thinking this?

Cheers..  Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 05:00:58 AM

Posting the wallet address will not open you to fraud, we can do nothing more then track transactions with it.

If your still uncomfortable, check the wallet yourself with http://blockchain.info/ and see if the Bitcoin's are still there. If they are, then your coins are still safe.

Looking at the address above, http://blockchain.info/address/14CgjhQpiFePcCRfoE1stE39uEUBAN7kqQ, I don't see any coins in it.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 05:01:26 AM

Instawallet only keeps a certain amount of funds available for withdrawal in its operating wallet.  It doesn't know in advance how many bitcoins its users will withdraw and sometimes user activity is heavier than expected and funds need to be added from cold storage.

That's likely what happened - especially if the amount no longer shows in your wallet..  Or perhaps their system had some other technical error.

Not much anyone can do for you until Paymium (Instawallet's operator) gets back to you.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the page does show:

Not a bank
Instawallet does not aspire to be a Bitcoin bank and as such can only provide a medium level of security. Please do not store more than some spare change here.

If you are storing amounts that would cause you to sweat on a hosted (shared) ewallet that does not require a password even, you might want to reconsider your approach.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 05:02:15 AM

Posting the wallet address will not open you to fraud, we can do nothing more then track transactions with it.

To be clear, .... DON'T POST YOUR INSTAWALLET URL.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 05:03:54 AM

To be clear, .... DON'T POST YOUR INSTAWALLET URL.

Yeah, have that stated in red. The bitcoin address is fine to post, but do not give us your instawallet url, that's private.
bigbox

Activity: 50

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 05:56:00 AM

Looks like this has happened before:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82384.0
SupSF (OP)

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 05:09:43 PM

Looks like this has happened before:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82384.0

Yep, and this is exactly what happened to me. They were simply so low on coins they couldn't accommodate my transfer.

I got an email response about 2:30am, and I imagine the coins were back in my wallet by ~3am.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: